Author Topic: Foot strap placement - GoFoil, Ozone team rider - Cynthia Brown  (Read 2994 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
She sent this shot of her new JL board, which generated my question about the rear foot strap placement.  ' thought I would share her reply.

"The foot strap placement is key for surf style winging. Jimmy and Brett Lickle studied pictures of foil surfers and realized this. I looked at lots of  the photos of me, my husband, and other friends surf foiling strapless, and realized that we all stood in the similar stance. The front foot is pretty much right down the stringer or a tiny bit towards the heal side. The back foot we have our toes closer to the rail, not centered over the stringer.  I tried winging  a 3 strap, windsurf style setup. The two straps up front were fine and natural. The back strap centered, however, sucked. To much heal side cant, which leans you over to weather. It’s ok for going upwind, but really difficult to get the surf style toe-side leverage. I ride my board switch stance with both feet out of the straps. Check out Robby Naish winging with 3 straps........you will notice that his back foot is not in the strap unless he is jumping. Look at all the hot FOne wingers......you will notice they have 2 straps offset like mine."

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Foot strap placement - GoFoil, Ozone team rider - Cynthia Brown
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 08:31:36 AM »
And that’s why straps suck, unless you plan on boosting airs.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 10:17:25 AM »
I tried straps on my JL Flying V but the pre drilled holes were not in the right spot for my foot placement and I found the end my toes just barely sliding into the strap, so I was basically riding strapless anyway so got rid of them.   
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 10:32:44 AM »
If you go to the recent blue planet voice over video that Robert did:

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,35879.msg413437/topicseen.html#new

You can see at 9:21  and at 13:56 how the guys have their rear straps now set up like this.

Wetstuff, thanks for pointing this out, = light bulb moment for me

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 10:36:09 AM »
I see most riders in some version of the position in her image.  Her front toes are just over the stringer with most of that foot back towards the upwind rail.  Her back foot is pretty well centered or a little offset towards the downwind rail.  It does seem like foot size has a big effect on this.  Much different for size 6 and 13 :).

I took my straps off for the flight to our last trip and left them off for the first few days.  I was happy when I put them back on.  It is easy to see the advantages of each.  Luckily there is no need to choose.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:49:02 AM by Admin »

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 09:55:22 PM »
Noticed that strap placement in some Derek Hamazaki? Videos- rides a JL board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal