Author Topic: Learning from kite foil vids  (Read 2176 times)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Learning from kite foil vids
« on: April 01, 2020, 09:01:50 AM »
During the quarantine, many of us are stuck in side and can't make new vids or be out practicing so for those trying to learn some tricks and not coming from kite foiling, I'd recommend looking at kite foil videos. Much of the techniques transfer over but instead of keeping a kite high, keep the wing high, push out on the bar is letting loose of the back hand. In kite tricks the kite always goes first and same as the wing. If you do a tack but don't send the wing first, then the wing will pull you off your board.
https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2020/04/the-secret-to-moving-your-feet-on-foil/?fbclid=IwAR2vZ7xlPI9ckLpzaNmFJCfKCSVfEarmax7NMFTOl2yaHUkJQ713P-WZQyo
This is a basic video on foot switches, same technique I use on a wing.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Learning from kite foil vids
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 09:08:17 AM »
Excellent post, flkiter. Thanks a lot!
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 09:22:58 AM »
Great video.  "you may only get one or 2 a month but you will get better."

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 09:59:13 AM »
It's an excellent video, he's got quite a few others I've enjoyed as well (circumnavigating the Isle of White by foil is interesting, maybe a bit melodramatic).

The description though doesn't quite match what he's doing. When he says "push down with your front foot" you don't actually start moving your rear foot forward until the nose of the board is on it's way back up from the initiation of that pump. Maybe that's just a given and happens naturally but of course you don't move both feet to the front of the board while the nose has momentum downward.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 11:12:06 AM »
+1

Great video - very clear. Watching the switch repeatedly really helps visualise the action.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 03:22:56 PM »
The problem I have with any teaching vid like Sam Light’s video is that he’s showing his final skill set and none of the progression it takes to get there. The simple statement that you’re gonna fall a bunch of times before you get good at is about all he offers up for progression.

When I was learning to foot switch on a kite foil I got more insight from a tiny girl (Kainani Drexler, daughter of Greg Drexler, a kitefoiling pioneer) than I ever got from seasoned pro’s. Just skip to the 3 min mark in the video to get to her foot switch progression how-to.  That’s how I learned, not from some pro rider repeatedly demonstrating the final polished maneuver.  Cheers!

https://youtu.be/h1-F5wfhsRs
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:25:43 PM by obxDave »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 04:12:05 PM »
Greg has great vids. Awesome style, and his daughter is killing it on the wing now also. My post wasn't meant to just promote Sam, he's a great rider but there's tons of great instructional out there for kite foilers (lots of garbage also like how Dave said with just showing the end result). All of us that are coming from the world of kite foiling know this but, many guys took up wing surfing with no kite background so looking into other foil sports will help in the progression. Fred Hope is another style master and if I ever find myself stuck riding flat water with the foil and a kite then I'll be going for that pivot 360 he does and some around the worlds. Just at the moment way more kite foil videos around so worth a look especially since not much else to do these days. Tons of good style and different style works for different riders. I found that I had difficulty going heal side to toe side tacks and then saw an RRD rider use his rear hand to push the wing over to the other side to help in the turn, next I was nailing them. 

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 06:32:35 PM »
Agree with all of the above about Kainani's videos --- just a note that she is Greg's niece and not his daughter.  Her father Scott is also a superb foiler. I've loved using Greg's kites for four years and am really looking forward to his upcoming wing offerings.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 11:11:56 PM »
Agree with all of the above about Kainani's videos --- just a note that she is Greg's niece and not his daughter.  Her father Scott is also a superb foiler. I've loved using Greg's kites for four years and am really looking forward to his upcoming wing offerings.

Oops🤪.  Always learning something new every day! If they are anything like his kites, Greg’s wings will be great 👍 and pricy......

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 12:41:18 AM »
We happened to be down in Baja at the same time as the Hydrofoil Pro Tour Kite Races.  Holy Shit!  How fast are those guys going?  Looks like 50 MPH plus on the downwind legs.  I had never seen that before in person and had no idea how intense the sport was.  To point, the tacks, one after another, were magnificent.  This fluid unweighting, forward foot swap and reweighting.  Pure economy of motion.  Way to fast to internalize though.  Sam's video slows it down really well and the quality is awesome. 

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 01:55:43 AM »

It will be fascinating to see how Greg does with his first wings and if they can compete with current second gen wings.  Though his kites are highly regarded, his comparative advantage was going with strutless kites....something no one had explored seriously.  Greg's first few iterations were not really very good kites but they gained a loyal following with his niche offering.  He doesn't have such an advantage with wings so can one guy in Maui compete with the big boys on design?  We shall see.  Fun times.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal