Author Topic: 9 minutes of 'Why so much wing-foiling?' by Gunnar in the Canaries  (Read 1242 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: 9 minutes of 'Why so much wing-foiling?' by Gunnar in the Canaries
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 08:43:19 AM »
Yep...that’s why I sold my kites 6 months ago and now I’m selling my windsurf foiling gear because the 2nd gen wings are close enough to a windsurf sail, to say goodby to that too.

https://youtu.be/nxz5NDXoC_0

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 09:42:47 AM »
Nice review of the sport.

Was out at Flag beach (Fuerte) a number of times this winter when he was also out winging and he did make it look like fun (he's sort of Europe's Kai Lenny). There was only one time though I remember he was out and I wouldn't have bothered with a 6.8M kite, and it looked like a struggle. One other time I was powered well enough and he wasn't but these were likely just sail area issues.

The boards he uses looked really nice, Swiss maybe, can't figure where the name came from...
https://shop.indiana-paddlesurf.com/foil.html?___from_store=indiana_eu_de&___store=indiana_eu_en&mode=list

Northern Fuerteventura has... access issues, to put it politely making winging the obvious choice of windsports. The places on the North coast (Majanicho he mentioned), no unsponsored or sane person would launch, think razor sharp lava and big shorebreak. Even Flag beach, the main launch spot for windsports is super dangerous if it's onshore wind which it was 90% of the time. Aggro locals enjoy blocking up the launch area to do spinny loopy tricks. There's endless room outside but running the gauntlet to get in and out was off putting. Won't likely kite there again but I might wing it!

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 10:13:35 AM »
This guy is spot on with his explanation.  Like many others, I will be selling my windsurfing gear and investing in wings and foils/foil boards.  I just hope there is someone out there interested in buying used windsurfing gear. Between the decline of windsurfing and rise of kiting and now wing foiling, might be hard to find a buyer.

For 25 years I have been windsurfing below my home in the Grenadines with a rocky beach and tiny rigging area, it was always a hassle especially at high tide and crashing beach break.    Getting gear to the island was always a hassle and I'd have to buy 2or 3 of everything because no shops in the country.  I was ready to retire from windsurfing, and just focus of SUP surfing and learning to sail boats, but wing foiling has changed my plans...I feel like a kid again, and everyday I can foil is an exciting new experience. 
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal