Author Topic: Perhaps more scary and longer lasting than the Virus.  (Read 4699 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Perhaps more scary and longer lasting than the Virus.
« on: March 31, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »
These metastasizing alternative realities within our societies are more destructive.   There are some serious 'nutjobs' loose and they do not all live under bridges ...tho' they be trolls. 

I have a friend that is off-the-charts brilliant, ex-NASA contractor ...with kids that are also remarkably smart (one PHD does secret DOD work.. another, late 20's a contractor designs/builds secure physical access for MIL) ..this guy has gone totally bonkers.

https://blog.nomorefakenews.com/2020/03/30/corona-creating-the-illusion-of-a-pandemic-through-diagnostic-tests/

http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?102096-Heroic-Citizens-Fact-Check-the-LYING-MSM-about-Corona

Whew!

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Perhaps more scary and longer lasting than the Virus.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 10:30:08 AM »
Being smart is not proof against becoming addicted to conspiracy theories and alternate reality. In some ways, an active imagination and high degree of creativity open the door. We are all wired for it and it takes effort and discipline to remember how little we actually know. As soon as we settle into a belief it becomes self-reinforcing with all the flavors of confirmation bias. I actively try to purge the phrase "I believe" from my vocabulary and the notion that I know enough about anything to call something a fact.

My best friend growing up was one of the most intelligent people I've ever met. He could learn anything twice as quickly as I could and made leaps in understanding that I marveled at. He slowly became convinced of many strange things, most of which he had no objective evidence to support his beliefs. He was eventually diagnosed with schizophrenia. I'm aware that schizophrenia has a genetic component, but watching him descend into it felt more like watching someone create their own reality and then be unable to escape it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 10:33:17 AM »
Lets just agree to keep an eye on the rights we give up during this, they won't be coming back. Just take a look at what's going on in Hungary.

This graphic would be adorable if it wasn't so creepy.
Maybe it's time to peek around the edges a bit.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2020/03/26/the-state-in-the-time-of-covid-19

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 02:00:00 PM »
I see a lot of this among people I know lately. None of them are smart per se, just salt of the earth bumpkins like me. For most it is simply a way to explain forces outside of their control, that they do not understand. It is much easier to contribute a serious problem to the inner workings of some mastermind plot, than to general ignorance, incompetence, uncleanliness and ego. Example: WA state has been given a stay home order and yesterday, our governor came out with the AG and head of State Patrol to tell us that if we were caught out we would be 1 warned, 2 fined and 3 prosecuted. Not only that, they gave us a website where we can turn in our neighbors for not staying home.

That is fucking freaky when you look at it from a historical perspective. However, when you look at it from a political perspective you just see more of this governor virtue signaling. The chances of being caught trying to earn a living by the WA Stasi are only slightly higher than contracting CV-19. The conspiracy theory people see this in the worst possible way, but you can’t blame them when you have their perspective.

In regard to your acquaintance. I worked at the DoD for 4 years and have had contracts with DoD engineering departments for the last 20 years. There is this sort of hubris that rides with working for a long time at the government (especially on the Defense side). You become convinced that because you (a smart person) works for the government, that the government is capable of almost anything. Even when you realize that most of the people in your cube farm are idiots, some other branch is full of really smart people doing other secret stuff.  It is only once you get outside of it and peek back that you can see how miserably incompetent it is in 90% of the things it does.

The easiest way to debunk a conspiracy theory is to look at the upside of it. For these guys who think there is a New World Order putting all of this together. Just ask “Why?”. Why would someone want all of the power- with a non-functioning society, what is the gain when you are already rich enough to do whatever you want?
Make paddleboarding great again!

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 05:51:03 PM »
There's no conspiracy, but what a great opportunity! Apathy gets you an Erdogan or Orban and we've got a president who's jealous of both. Remember RR's nine most terrifying words, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"

I had to get some sun today and drove East a bit through the Gorge, up Dalles Mt. rd on the WA side, just for hiking and photos. One guy kiting at Mosier, two at the Lyle sandbar, there were probably others I missed. If the water was a bit warmer I'd be out there but all things considered not worth it to me. Does not appear to be a problem OR. or WA. Have to wonder though what would be the actual number of people out that might cause a problem.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 06:52:03 PM »
We are all wired for it and it takes effort and discipline to remember how little we actually know. As soon as we settle into a belief it becomes self-reinforcing with all the flavors of confirmation bias.

Sad about your friend Bill. I had a co-worker who was trying to get us to listen to Jefferson Starship to decode at a work meeting. Certainly in his own confirmation bias reality. It has to be what allows him, a POW/MIA supporter to the MAX, to ignore "he's not a hero" from a draft dodger...

.... so it's a hoax.....................all manufactured...................holy moly.....

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 07:38:27 PM »
Respectfully, as to the rights dissolving, this actually isn’t born out by facts either. Though I respect the sentiment for sure.

The assault weapons ban was lifted.

The NSA’s metadata program was limited and eventually might be abandoned completely (though we won’t really know will we?)

Even now, people are reclaiming their right to privacy on the net, notice all those cookies notifications you see this year?

Encryption now has protected our data from prying eyes despite outcry from Congress and law enforcement.

Watch your privacy and rights, but our laws are fluid and we are still far more free than most countries on earth.

Let’s keep our heads. There’s enough to be worried about, right?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 08:37:02 PM »
Entropy.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 05:58:20 PM »
I couldn't read any of the linked articles, regardless
I have a complex but firm believe in the people of the United States to never allow the government to get past a breaking point.
There are a lot of wonderful people, at every level, in this country with a solid moral compass, who don't need any particular education of degree to know what is right and decent.

The system has been tested and undermined many times before, but the pendulum always swings back.

Oddly enough, I think this current virus may very well be the catalyst that heals us, once the dust settles.
Hopefully everyone's anger and division will be tempered when they begin to identify what really matters to them.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 07:02:19 PM »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 08:00:57 PM »
I love all the whackjobs claiming global conspiracy to go along with the 5G mind control. This is all orchestrated so they can get the chips into us all.....nucking futs.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 06:57:30 AM »
I am pretty open to hearing conspiracy theories.  Like say Epstein not killing himself.  But things are getting ridiculous.   Woody Harrelson (and others) thinks that 5G in Wuhan is the cause (or made it much worse) of the outbreak.  JP

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 06:56:42 AM »
I would like to believe Rick'ster comment.  My fear is we all somehow need an 'other' to express our fears about our personal future. We somehow gravitate toward proven failures-of-character, evil governments, disguised pedophile societies, craven preachers, late-night conspiracists, etc. to simplify things we do not understand about our place in the world. ...and, perhaps why we have been cheated out of 'what should be ours'.

It was not all that long ago there were two sides to a Greyhound station and drinking fountains were marked for which color could use them. (how'd they come up with that?)  With the exception of the unique exposure of the McCarthy hearings, there was a ton of C'hit going on out of view, mainly focused on Jews.  I kept this as a reminder of how infrequently we Americans should be beating our chest.

Jim

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 06:59:58 AM »
Here's a page...  Check the third listing. 

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal