Author Topic: SUP ..not considered 'outdoor exercising' in my state.  (Read 5758 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
SUP ..not considered 'outdoor exercising' in my state.
« on: March 31, 2020, 08:37:44 AM »
One of the people in-the-know here in Maryland posted:  “I spoke to DNR Police this morning- They do not consider kayaking or paddle boarding as ‘outdoor exercising’ under the Governor’s Order.  Normally yes they think it’s a great activity but in this COVID-19 alternate universe they say NO boats except commercial fisherman.   Licensed commercial fishermen." 

'Great activity'... Puritans that typically enjoy 'running things' dislike pleasurable activities. Taliban and kite flying comes to mind...

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP ..not considered 'outdoor exercising' in my state.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 10:33:35 AM »
Even when paddling with friends you are usually keeping at least 6 feet apart.
Did they think about that?

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 11:00:25 AM »
Part of me thinks it is law enforcement wanting to not have to deal with people.  Almost because the politicians are cherry picking what to shut down and what not to shut down.  Law enforcement cant keep up with wishy wshy politicians changing their minds constantly. Makes it easy for them to shut it down.

A whole lot of people been shut out of work and kids home. OK enjoy the outdoors.  Beaches, sandbars, forest trails, etc.   Seems like the politicians now are just trying to stop people from having fun.   In Florida they got pissed people so many people were going to the beaches so close those.  So they went out in their boats, cant have that. Thought they were too close at the sandbars,  came out and said anchored boats had to be 50 feet away from each other.   What happened to 6 feet.  Nope. Close the ramps and marinas. 

They closed all the big parks, concerts, shows, and things like that get thousands of people daily in close proximity from all parts of the globe.  Ok, understandable.  But 10 -20 people near each other on a beach or a sandbar, to me is not even in the same ballpark.  Now I understand breaking up the spring break crowds/parties.  That falls under  the concert groups.  Surfing, big deal if some guys hang out for a few minutes and talk before or after a session.  Relatively speaking the numbers are still small and as far as I know the statistics still figure into you getting hurt in your car on the way to the grocery store.

Now the politicians threaten to throw people in jail for violating the social distancing commands.  Wait, haven't they just released a bunch of non violent criminals to stop/prevent this going through jails.  Kind of at a loss with my frustration with this.  Why would we not shut down domestic air travel where we thousands of people in close proximity who may or may not have the virus traveling all over the country with politicians tell people to "self" quarantine at their destination.  I am sure that is what they are doing.  If people had to drive all over, that would certainly slow the travel / movement of the virus around.

just my .000002

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 11:20:10 AM »
One of the people in-the-know here in Maryland posted:  “I spoke to DNR Police this morning- They do not consider kayaking or paddle boarding as ‘outdoor exercising’ under the Governor’s Order.  Normally yes they think it’s a great activity but in this COVID-19 alternate universe they say NO boats except commercial fisherman.   Licensed commercial fishermen."

Here in Texas, a kayak and a standup paddleboard are not considered a boat simply because they are not powered by a "motor" (gasoline or electric).

But, if you install a trolling motor on a kayak, then the kayak is then considered a "motorized vessel" (boat) and with that, it needs TX registration numbers along each side of the bow of a kayak.

https://kayakguru.com/texas-kayak-laws/

And if a standup paddleboard is installed with a electric motor of any kind (powered by a battery), then the standup paddleboard is considered a motorized vessel (boat).

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

MLB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 12:31:24 PM »
 I believe Indiana is similar. If you put a bixby jet on it, then it's a boat and has to be registered, etc

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 08:52:46 PM »
On the news yesterday, a SURFER got a $1000. fine/ticket in Manhattan Beach, CA
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 05:33:31 AM »
Sometimes I think some of the rules politicians make have something to do with "common sense" or the lack of.

In my state of Texas, when dealing with the likes of personal watercraft, boats, ships etc; our politicians have enough common sense to know when they are "out of their league" on the subjects they make laws for.

For kayaks, canoes and standup paddleboards, the politicians had the good common sense to ask the US Coast Guard and base their laws for us in Texas on Coast Guard regulations.

With that said, even though our public lakes are open during the pandemic, the boat marinas and parks on our public lakes are "closed" at the moment so one can't get on the lake.

There are exceptions though. If one owns a lake front property so their backyard borders the lake with a bulkhead, boat house, slip or pier which connects to the lake, then one can get on the lake using a boat, canoe or sup.

But if there is more than one person in boat and both people are not 6' away from each other, then the TPWD (Texas Parks and Wildlife Department game wardens plying the lake in their 25' long twin engine Boston Whaler can flag the boat owner down and tell you to get off the lake or ticket the boat owner depending on their "discretion" for the incident.

Since I live in a subdivision with two private lakes (not open to the public), I can sup to my "hearts delight". If I'm not the only one on the lake supping at the time, we have to "keep our distance".

But since no one else sups, I have the entire private lake to myself and I'm taking advantage of that at the moment because I flat water paddle 2 or 3 times a week now so I don't get "cabin fever" during this time of voluntary staying at home.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 11:06:29 AM »
@Night Wing

Hmmmm....you might have the perfect location/setup to learn how to Wing Sup?
(then Wing foil?)

I've never done it but if I had the perfect place to learn I probably would.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 01:11:51 PM »
We have no beach closures or restrictions on individual outdoor activities.

As I look out my window, I see non-stop cars driving all over our little village.
People going to shop, surf, paddle, walk, ride bikes.

Meanwhile, NYC is a ghost town.

Do we truly need to become ground zero, before we stay home and stop the spread?
Our local CoVid numbers are ramping up quickly.

I was admittedly a latecomer to "Shelter in place"... a naysayer in fact.
Because I can easily find very secluded places to paddle... or surf.

But my last paddle outing left me with the gnawing feeling that I was setting a questionable example of what behavior is normal and acceptable.

Now, I am IN.... I want to be part of the solution.
I stay home.
My boards are racked.

At 72, I may rust in place and that sucks.... but losing people sucks more.

Yoda said:
"Try? There is no try....
There is do, or do not.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 02:46:20 PM »
What bothers me in LA on PCH there are a lot of cyclists out riding less than 6ft from each other and drafting even. Meanwhile we're not allowed to SUP in the ocean  :-\

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 03:04:42 PM »
@Night Wing

(then Wing foil?)

Our largest private lake is not that large to wing sup on. But, even if the lake was large enough to wind sup, I wouldn't wing sup. Why?

For the simple reason I have had both my right and left shoulder joints surgically repaired and I wouldn't want to have anything like the wind pull on those surgical repaired shoulders. I want to stay away from anything that could dislocate the shoulder joints.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 03:17:58 PM »
Creek, i feel exactly the same way. There are a few private paths leading to the beach a couple blocks from my house granting me free access to the ocean and all the paddling i want. The same goes for the intracoastal riverway, but i feel guilty and feel like I am setting a bad example.  I miss the beach as much as anyone, but feel I can inconvenience myself for 30 days if it is in better interest of the country. 
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 05:36:30 PM »
@Night Wing

(then Wing foil?)

Our largest private lake is not that large to wing sup on. But, even if the lake was large enough to wind sup, I wouldn't wing sup. Why?

For the simple reason I have had both my right and left shoulder joints surgically repaired and I wouldn't want to have anything like the wind pull on those surgical repaired shoulders. I want to stay away from anything that could dislocate the shoulder joints.

Oh yeah...smart!
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Seafarer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 05:31:09 PM »
Wetstuff- According to this source paddle boarding for exercise in Maryland is ok

https://www.localdvm.com/health/coronavirus/how-police-enforce-marylands-stay-at-home-order/#/questions/2576118

synopsis:
Hogan’s Communications Director Mike Ricci also tweeted clarifications for those who hunt, fish and boat.

Hunting, fishing and boating to get food: Allowed
Kayaking and paddleboarding for exercise: Allowed
Recreational boating: Not allowed

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 11:40:57 PM »
I’m going through every thread like this and posting this. Nothing personal, just a reminder.

“Whahhh, I can’t paddle my toy during the pandemic.”

Gratitude people, gratitude.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but it’s just that as time goes on, this kind of discussion seems further and further from a legitimate thing to worry about. My apologies, but it might be something to consider, right?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 12:03:07 AM by surfcowboy »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal