Author Topic: Leash points for 14 ft board  (Read 2382 times)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Leash points for 14 ft board
« on: March 28, 2020, 11:50:28 AM »
I have read some boards have mid board leash points. Would be interested to know peoples view,pros/cons with them. Wondering if I should put one in the board I'm building.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Leash points for 14 ft board
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 03:26:17 PM »
This is by far my preferred leash plug position and I use it exclusively except in situations where I end up in the surf.

You'll never step on the leash doing pivot turn or going downwind. The board always ends up next to you and gives you quicker recovery time getting on board. I would not recommend it when in the surf, you'll be risking deep cuts by the fin and getting hit on the head since the board always end up next to you and that's the last thing you want when a wave is breaking on your head. Don't ask me how I know ;D
in progress...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 10:42:31 PM »
Thanks. So where exactly is it. Just in infront of your normal standing position. I might as well put one in.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 06:42:49 AM »
Thanks. So where exactly is it. Just in infront of your normal standing position. I might as well put one in.

For my use case I put it 15" forward the standing position thus having enough clearance when riding the board standing far forward in cross winds.
The distance will vary between the brands that incorporates it. See Sic RS or Starboard Allstar for example.

The leash I use most is: https://www.sicmauicustom.com/products/downwinder-coil-leash I have few other brands as well.
in progress...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 09:50:09 AM »
Thanks. I will add one in.

puget sound

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 12:24:49 AM »
I agree with Burchas' comments about the advantages of a forward leash. Nothing underfoot when you step back.

My RS has a dedicated leash insert 10" forward of the center of the handle, and identical inserts for the tie-downs past that. I use the farthest tie-down insert, which is 19" from the handle, for my leash. Not its intended use, but less coiled junk under my feet.
Starboard Sprint 21.5 / SIC RS 14x23 / SIC Bullet V1

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 01:16:13 AM »
I have a frame 38cm about 15" forward of where I think the main standing is. I will put one in there. Then one or two in the tail as well.
 Thanks.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 04:02:59 PM »

For my use case I put it 15" forward the standing position thus having enough clearance when riding the board standing far forward in cross winds.
The distance will vary between the brands that incorporates it. See Sic RS or Starboard Allstar for example.

The leash I use most is: https://www.sicmauicustom.com/products/downwinder-coil-leash I have few other brands as well.

It says meant for around the calf - is it a bigger cuff? I can't always get the leash on my ankle (with boots in winter).

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 05:47:48 PM »

It says meant for around the calf - is it a bigger cuff? I can't always get the leash on my ankle (with boots in winter).

If your Ankle with boot is over 15" Circumference it might be too tight otherwise you're good. You can also try XM leashes. Their standard calf easily fits a 15" calf as well but they can do custom in case you are a second cousin of bigfoot ;D
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal