Author Topic: Slightly off topic- Windfoil board construction ?  (Read 3039 times)

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Slightly off topic- Windfoil board construction ?
« on: March 26, 2020, 04:03:46 PM »
Hi all, if anyone can point me to a better place to ask this question then please do.  I've built SUP's, surfboard,, kiteboards, paddles, hydrofoils etc, but I'm looking to build a windfoil board rather than ride a modified old board.  I know there are a lot of multi-sport board builders here so I thought I'd ask.

I'm wondering about the pros and cons of different constructions.  One option could be a lighter foam (maybe 1 lb?)  with a sandwich construction like on most windsurfers, or the other option would be a higher density EPS like on a SUP (1.5 to 2 lb?) and a bit more skin and no extra high density outer foam layer.  I actually have some bamboo veneer so a compsand method is also possible.   

For sure I know there would be reinforcement at the foil mount either way as well as some deck areas.  It seems to me that the board, something along the lines of a Slingshot Wizard 125L would not be getting jumped and crashed like a windsurf waveboard, and is more likely to be cruised and carved like some SUP foil boards.  BUT, the board would not be as short and thick as some SUP foil boards since it needs to have the forward sail mount and uphaul potential.

Does anyone have any great insights in this, or can anyone direct me to where I might find more info on this?

Thanks,
Peter

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Slightly off topic- Windfoil board construction ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 05:16:34 PM »
1.5 lb wrapped in carbon, double carbon deck patches works and holds up. Weight is similar to PVC sandwiched 1 lb construction.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 05:37:22 AM »
Thanks Dwight, do you know, for a windfoil board with the foil mounted at the back, what might be common in terms of anything structural in the back at the board?  For my short kitefoil board I put two Chinook boxes into some very high density extruded foam that I had, and had it extend forward perhaps a foot forward of the boxes. 

Is a stringer common at all?  I have done partial depth corecell stringers into the bottom of a couple of windsurf boards over the years - route a channel about 1" deep, and use stringer to press glass or carbon into the slot.  Any thoughts on whether that might be common on necessary on a board like this where things are cantilevered more in front?

Thanks,
Peter

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 08:52:22 AM »
I've been thinking about making a wing foil board. The strength required is mostly concentrated in about 30 inches of the board (mast to forward foot position), which leads me to think the rest of the board can be fairly light. Seems like a windfoil board doesn't have that benefit--foil in the back, mast probably half the distance between the foil and the nose, and the rider moving a lot more. Stringers would seem like the lightest way to tie both together. I'd be tempted to make carbon stringers with medium density foam sandwiched with a layer of bagged carbon and get the foam shaped with those and the mounting blocks for the foil and mast in place.

I don't have any interest in hand shaping the board, I'd get it CNC'd
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 10:18:52 AM »
The only issues with getting the board CNCed are:
- I really enjoy shaping
- I don't think there is the capability anywhere near me
- The shape of a board like this probably matters a lot less than other boards that spend most of their time on the water

And yes, you are right, I might do a corecell and carbon stringer.  I'm still figuring that out.  My current leaning is to not do a fully wrapped sandwich construction.  I have some bamboo veneer so might do a compsan type method, but I think other friends of mine might be looking at S-glass and/or  carbon.  I think we've found a good source for 1.5lb foam blocks, so that should be good without the full sandwich.

The other great thing about the bamboo veneer is that I hate the final filling and sanding and painting on a more regular construction.

Peter

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 12:27:22 PM »
I've been thinking about making a wing foil board. .... I'd be tempted to make carbon stringers with medium density foam sandwiched with a layer of bagged carbon and get the foam shaped with those and the mounting blocks for the foil and mast in place.

I don't have any interest in hand shaping the board, I'd get it CNC'd

So would your CNC cut include the cut out channels for your carbon-foam stringer (medium density foam sandwiched with a layer of bagged carbon)?  I would think a dedicated surfboard cutting machine (AkuShaper, Shape 3D-compatible, Marko Foam etc) could still make such channels with perpendicular walls - or - would it have to be more of a general CNC machine?
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 11:35:08 AM »
Absolutely. If I'm going to have a board shaped I want it to be as plug and play as I can get it. I'd do the same thing for footstrap inserts, though I'm kind of addicted to the NSI foot strap stick-ons, which have nearly zero potential for leaking.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM