Author Topic: Stability Fin Advice  (Read 2678 times)

Kjfsurfcycle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Stability Fin Advice
« on: July 16, 2020, 11:04:22 AM »
I am wishing to increase primary stability on my 2017 Carbon Allstar Starboard 14 x 24.5. I paddle on a large alpine lake that is frequently sloppy with boat wakes from multiple angles or wind chop up to 1 foot.  I paddle at all angles including cross chop.  I also own a 14’ Bark and SIC FX 14 x 24.5 with stock finds so I have some relative experience.   I have tried a small Starboard fin and a Makani Roto.  The Makani Roto was a huge improvement over the small Starboard fin.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a fin with more stability?   Does anyone have feedback on the Blackproject Ray or the VMG Maka 44?  FYI I have read that a 2017 Allstar has a short fin box and won’t work with a fin like a Gladiator.  Thanks Kevin

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Stability Fin Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 06:43:55 PM »
If you want a fin that adds stability, look for one that has plenty of area towards the tip of the fin, and is as deep as you dare.  Its not just a case of the total area of the fin, but also where that area is deployed. If your Starboard has one of their silly small finboxes then you arent going to find many options.

puget sound

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 08:48:55 AM »
The Larry Allison dolphin keel is massive and stable, without as large of a base as you'd expect. It might fit your board.
Starboard Sprint 21.5 / SIC RS 14x23 / SIC Bullet V1

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 05:45:07 PM »
Give Chris a call at Black Project, tell him what you have and how you use your board, he has the best customer service out of any of these other fin makers. I have a Ray for my board but just switched to a Maliko since my 27' wide blackfish is stable enough
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

Kjfsurfcycle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 10:51:08 AM »
Thanks for the advice on all fronts.  I’ll try calling Chris.  I noticed you are going to the Maliko.  What have you seen different with the Maliko versus the Ray?   

ayup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 12:40:13 PM »
Used a Mako 44 fin to add some stability to a Storm 24" in ocean chop and DW. It worked but the drag bugged me, especially as I got more comfortable with board width. Replaced it with a Black Project Maliko. Less drag and no noticeable difference in stability or tracking. It's a very well made fin. I'm happy, it does what I need it to do. The Rey looks similar in size to the Mako 44. Second calling Chris for advice.   
Howe Sound, BC
One Storm 14x24
Portal Barra 7'11"

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 06:07:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice on all fronts.  I’ll try calling Chris.  I noticed you are going to the Maliko.  What have you seen different with the Maliko versus the Ray?
My Ray fin got damaged a couple weeks ago, so I asked Chris about something else for my board, he recommend the Maliko. The ray for me had some drag and not as fast in sprints, but was very stable. The Maliko is imo more of a overall fine, chop, sprints, tracking and stable. Send him a email, he will respond promptly, be sure to tell him what board you have and the dims. Good luck.

Kjfsurfcycle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 02:22:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice to talk with Chris.  I learned a lot about fins which was useful.  I splurged and purchased the Ray and the Tiger.  I’ll send an update in a few weeks.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 06:34:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice to talk with Chris.  I learned a lot about fins which was useful.  I splurged and purchased the Ray and the Tiger.  I’ll send an update in a few weeks.
Congrats. be sure to post some reviews

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal