Author Topic: Gorge Gowns and other COVID response  (Read 1082 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Gorge Gowns and other COVID response
« on: March 25, 2020, 08:28:08 PM »
I got this email from Maui Meyer this evening. He's been spearheading a team to make PPE gowns using local resources. Also making hand sanitizer and face shields for emergency workers. It's a pretty cool effort that can be repeated anywhere there are sewing facilities. The design plans will be availabe to anyone once the santizing and production protocols are set.

Greetings funders, great news from the Gorge!

It's here! We are live, with HMB 50, an Oregon not for profit to procure and donate PPE to health and public safety workers in the Gorge and beyond.

HMB 50 stands for "Hand Made Brigade, 50". 50 is the number of hours from when Dr. Laurel Berge, called me asking for help until the time we donned (and doffed, which apparently is a real word) the first tyvek prototype. (which was prototype 5) It's been a quick 5 days.

It is time to redeem your pledges! If you would like to donate, to our tax deductible organization online, please do so here:  http://nextdoorinc.org/donate/      Use the pull down menu to designate that the donation is being made to the Hand Made Brigade 50. If you would like your donation to be directed towards a specific area of concern (Masks, Shields or Gowns)  Please note that in the comment section.

If you would like to donate via check, to our tax deductible organization, please mail the check, made out to "The Next Door" and send it to 965 Tucker Road, Hood River Oregon, 97031, with HMB50 in the memo line.

If you DON'T CARE ABOUT THE DEDUCTION, Please send a check made out to HMB50 and Mail it to 1002 Oak Street, Hood River, Oregon 97031. If you would like to venmo me, It's @Maui-Meyer.

Our fiscal sponsor for tax deductible status, The Next Door, Hood River's leader in community development, and community social service.  Janet Hamada, a person whom I am lucky to call a friend, is the director of this organization. She is a "Super Titan" in my book. I am honored that they have taken HMB 50 on as a client on such short notice and with so much uncertainty.

Your contributions have been so generous, and so important. We have, in the last 36 hours:

secured the ability to produce our gowns locally. The first production of this type, in the nation that I am aware of.  50 gowns a day by next week is targeted and at full run, (hopefully in 10-14 days) and more to come.  The bulk of the gowns will be donated to Hood River County's Emergency Response Center, who will, via the regions mutual aid agreement, point the gowns towards the areas of most need.  (The gowns are also being reviewed at the national level, and we plan to release the patterns free of charge to similar production facilities across the country, once we have production/sanitation protocols understood, and in place.)

Ordered 350 gallons of hand sanitizer produced locally to be donated to the Emergency Response Center, for free distribution.

Assisted in funding the production of 3,000 top of the line face shields, for distribution through the Emergency Response Center, to the region. 

There is more to come. I have not looked down yet. Nor will I

Stay Safe, Be Well. And. Thank you all. Please send your money, and please share this email far and wide.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Gorge Gowns and other COVID response
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 08:32:11 PM »
I got this email from Maui Meyer this evening.

I used to say "There are only 30 windsurfers in the world."  Because I would run into the same people everywhere.

Maui Meyer was my windsurfing coach in college at Cornell.  My father was his Professor.  More random was that I also went to high school with his partner Ben Stenn.  If they are still partners.

Say hello.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 08:41:24 AM »
I live above a fabric & sewing machine store.

The sewing community here is making masks and gowns for the local hospital.
They were buying supplies while they lasted.
He was extremely busy up until yesterday when he ran out of material.

Very cool to see people step up and contribute!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 09:14:48 AM »
Ya, Ricky...  Fabric and elastic can be an issue. Most of those mills went overseas or closed.  Thirty years ago there were perhaps 50 small factories that supplied nightgowns and shirts from this area to NYC, but there are zero here now. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal