Author Topic: Isolation vacation  (Read 2966 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Isolation vacation
« on: March 24, 2020, 04:40:12 PM »
So, what's everyone do to cope and keep busy?
 They have closed all the beaches  in San Diego so surfing is a $1000 fine. All restaurants  and bars are closed, no gathering of 10+ people, and many more  restrictions.
I just started reading Moby Dick, all 685 pages, but looking for other ideas.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Isolation vacation
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 05:39:53 PM »
For me the main thing is establishing a sense of structure.

I’m lucky, I can work remotely, but due to (temporary) client pull-back, that will only take 35% of my work day.  So, in the meantime, treadmill, stationary, light weights, Indoboard, etc.  A few surfboard ding repairs.  If I can get Benjamin Moore to deliver, maybe some painting.  Perhaps a new bidet.  Clean the garage, basement, yard clean up, service the standby (so that we won’t need it).

I’d like to brush up on Spanish. I’d also like to progress my guitar and uke skills.  Did you know that all of the Ivy League schools are offering free online classes during the crisis?

I’m going to do more calling instead of texting.

Get it all on a schedule, and keep to it.  Keep those endorphins flowing.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 05:54:47 PM »
I'm geeking out, building all the control systems for my motorhome update. I've designed a control and monitoring system that is mostly wireless. Next step is building the dashboard. Fortunately for me, my shop is about as socially isolated as you can get. Unfortunately, it's fricken' cold in Hood River so I'm working in the dining room. I've been doing a lot of cooking as well.

If it warms up a bit I'm going to work on my TIG welding skills. And then I have projects out to about the year 2040. They won't get any easier when I'm 93.

Last, but not least, I plan to wingfoil like mad as soon as the wind starts blowing again. No crowd problem here. River temperature at 43 keeps the feather merchants home.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 08:27:06 PM »

I'm digging the empty roads and the lack of crowds.

I'm sympathizing with the brothers and sisters who've had their livelihoods taken away.

I'm purging my storage.

But I'm mostly working my ass off in the healthcare industry (except when posting on the zone : )

I feel like I'm somehow missing out on a huge shared cultural down time. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:34:42 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 08:42:55 PM »
They have closed all the beaches  in San Diego so surfing is a $1000 fine.

The rationale behind closing the beaches is to prevent congregating, but why prohibit surfing?  Bicycling is allowed. Paddling a canoe on a lake is allowed. Going for a run is allowed. What's the distinction with surfing? That you have to cross a beach?     
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:12:41 PM »
I spend part of the day flat water paddling on one of our private lakes in our subdivision.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 09:55:34 PM »
They have closed all the beaches  in San Diego so surfing is a $1000 fine.

The rationale behind closing the beaches is to prevent congregating, but why prohibit surfing?  Bicycling is allowed. Paddling a canoe on a lake is allowed. Going for a run is allowed. What's the distinction with surfing? That you have to cross a beach?   

I am also baffled by this decree (maybe outraged or disgusted is a more accurate description of how I feel).

I am super curious how exactly "surfing" is outlawed?  Like what's the actual legal wording used to define "surfing" and what exactly is verboten and finable? 

I've heard that closing beach parking lots is coming to NorCal, but NOT actually closing the beach or outlawing entering the water or being in the water.  So one can be on the beach and in the water, you just can't park there, hoping to discourage traveling beachgoing, while giving locals access to healthy living and nature.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 11:21:14 PM »

I’m not a surfer, so don’t know all the ins and outs, but there was a fellow posted on one of these threads a few days ago from another country. Can’t remember who it was and I think he may have been from Portugal, but don’t remember for sure. In any case, wherever he was from didn’t allow any activity on the water. That didn’t make sense to me as I thought as long as you were socially distancing yourself you should be O.K.

But he went on to say that the reason for their rule was that they didn’t want anyone getting injured and taking up doctor’s time or potentially hospital space. Not sure if that’s why they would single out surfing??? Have no idea if this could be one of their reasons but thought I'd throw it out.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 11:38:13 PM by Quickbeam »
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 01:55:39 AM »
I’d like to brush up on Spanish. I’d also like to progress my guitar and uke skills. 

Do you have a digital interface?  A small group of Zoner's with interface's and we could put the Zone Virus Band together.  :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:21:04 AM by Admin »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 05:44:34 AM »
"What's the distinction with surfing?"    I suspect it is much like dancing is to fundamentalist Christians - it looks like too much fun.  Riding a bike probably 'looks like work' to 'authorities', so that's Ok in these times of stress.  Fundamentalists are always stressed.  It's why they cut the bottoms out of their front pants pockets.   

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 07:39:04 AM »
So far I have been going to work as we are supporting essential services, but at home I have been going nuts.

Normally this time of year it is all golfing, surfing and fishing as much as we can get in and now - not. My girls and I have the best time in the spring. I pay a lot of money for golf course membership for my family and now just stare longingly at empty fairways. (I know it is heartless to complain about this when people are suffering)

I cannot figure out why surfing or fishing would be outlawed. I mean I guess they are not technically, but the access points are closed. Such healthy activities, that are easy to socially distance in, and yet they are not available. It drives me crazy when the government treats us as if we cannot control ourselves. The optics are always worse than the reality.

I decided this morning that I am going to remodel an office space in my commercial building. It will give me something different to think about for a week.
Make paddleboarding great again!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 08:36:48 AM »
I think the banning of surfing is an over reaction, but I am glad our Governor, county supervisor, and Mayor are taking this serious and over reacting.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 10:07:50 AM »
The digital echo chamber is funny in this world.

Today WA state health department came out with a statement that it appears the measures are working. The comment being - the infections are rising, but not to the levels expected. Keep up the good work!

The only responses are:
- You are lying, you don't have enough testing to prove this
- You need to wait two more weeks before I will believe you
- You only care about profit
- My town was over run with city people, we will all be dying soon
- We still don't have enough respirators

This is how a lot of people are spending their isolation: Virtue Signalling!
Make paddleboarding great again!

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 11:24:27 AM »
Somehow CA state park beaches are still open - paddling and surfing is allowed.  Just don't paddle out of the state park area.  Learned yesterday that lifeguard jurisdiction extends out 3 miles.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 11:35:01 AM »
I’d like to brush up on Spanish. I’d also like to progress my guitar and uke skills. 

Do you have a digital interface?  A small group of Zoner's with interface's and we could put the Zone Virus Band together.  :)

Just two things missing for me, DI and possibly some talent (which could be overcome).😀
But, that would be pretty cool.  I really like what Playing for a Change Collaboration did On this vid.
https://youtu.be/QHTYahP6kGU

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal