Author Topic: Whoooph... there may be cleanup set behind Covid 19  (Read 897 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Whoooph... there may be cleanup set behind Covid 19
« on: March 19, 2020, 12:20:44 PM »
Ian Bremmer of Eurasia Group, a political risk analysis and consulting firm talks to Prete Bahara.  Once this virus is done with us, we may not be dancing in the streets and ordering even larger pickups.  Huawei and g5 comes to mind.

https://tunein.com/podcasts/News--Politics-Podcasts/Stay-Tuned-with-Preet-p1018528/?topicId=140106353

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Whoooph... there may be cleanup set behind Covid 19
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 02:39:09 PM »
I'm always a little skeptical when I hear anyone say G5 from a risk analysis basis, but I'll listen to this when I have the time. G5 is currently the favorite topic of nut squad blogs. If you are so foolish as to read any (yes, I did, and then I took a long shower, drank a Manhattan and smoked some dope) you see that CV-19 isn't a virus at all. I'll leave the rest to your imagination, and trust me, however vivid your imagination might be, it's nowhere close to the rants.

This isn't the last pandemic anyway. I've been more than a bit concerned about the spread of wasting disease in deer. As always, humans are making it much, much worse, and if it jumps to domestic animals we're in for a real shitshow. We may all become Vegans whether we like it or not. Though if a deer with wasting disease drooled on your Kale you might get a lovely load of  transmissible spongiform encephalopathy prions in your salad, which are invariably fatal when they turn your brain into mush riddled with holes. Our own homegrown zombie apocalypse, for those looking to point fingers at Chinese dietary practices.

One potential benefit if having Covid kick our asses is we might start to take this stuff seriously, though the collective memory is stunningly short. Ebola (YIKES), H1N1, SARS and MERS are faint memories in the public and in policy makers who are too busy setting up deals with lobbyists to care about global health.

Covid 19 is very similar genetically to SARS, in fact it is essentially a SARS variant. Both SARS and MERS vaccines were well along when interest in the vaccine ended and funding disappeared because the infections were contained. To whatever degree there is a head start in vaccines for CV it's because the Chinese sequenced the RNA rapidly and distributed the information worldwide, and because the SARS and MERS vaccines were well along in development and a lot of that work can be leveraged. The estimate of 12 to 18 months includes that head start, without it we'd be looking at a solid two years. Not only does the vaccine need to be developed, it also has to be extensively tested (lots of things can go wrong), the production system has to be built, and it needs to be distributed in quantities of billions of doses.

It's more likely that we will have non-vaccine antiviral treatment that can lessen the severity and duration of the disease before we have vaccines that deliver some high level of immunity.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 02:43:28 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal