Author Topic: Lite wind foiling and adapting to the current Covid-19 world?  (Read 5403 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Lite wind foiling and adapting to the current Covid-19 world?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 06:49:32 PM »
Many "lock down" rules permit exercise.  Of course, with all the closures, access to the water is more difficult but I am thankful to be able to continue winging (using Google Earth to find access points has been a fun exercise).  Kiting is pretty much impossible right now in many parts of FL.  I am getting a 6 m wing to expand my opportunities.

Hey Phils, how do you like your Armstrong foil for winging? Is that the 2400 front wing you have there?

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 10:03:33 PM »
Admin says Chan already said, "It's too cold". One might think this means we aren't going.

Actually it means just the opposite. We wouldn't need excuses if we weren't going to go.

Thanks, this gives me a good laugh and a smile, good medicine.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 01:13:03 AM »
Many "lock down" rules permit exercise.  Of course, with all the closures, access to the water is more difficult but I am thankful to be able to continue winging (using Google Earth to find access points has been a fun exercise).  Kiting is pretty much impossible right now in many parts of FL.  I am getting a 6 m wing to expand my opportunities.

Hey Phils, how do you like your Armstrong foil for winging? Is that the 2400 front wing you have there?
Very happy with the Armstrong.  The 2400 has tons of lift that is relatively easy to manage.  Also picked up a used 1600 (they are around as more advanced riders are switching to the 1550), but haven't used it yet.  The build quality is superb.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 01:49:42 PM »

Very happy with the Armstrong.  The 2400 has tons of lift that is relatively easy to manage.  Also picked up a used 1600 (they are around as more advanced riders are switching to the 1550), but haven't used it yet.  The build quality is superb.

My latest favorite set up (for when there is consistent wind) is the 2400 wing with 50CM fuselage, 232 HS tail, and +1 tail shim.  I used this in a low tide onshore river session with small breaking knee high waves and was ripping gybes on the wave faces and cruising ripples easily.  So Fun!!! 
(also fun for SUP Foil)

The 50CM fuselage makes turns pretty sharp if you let it happen, which can stall/kill speed when gybing, so I'm still trying to sort out that part.  The longer 60 and 70 fuselage draw out the turns and likely keep speed up better.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 01:27:59 AM »
Bill and I were working on transitions and were using each other as jibe buoys (after one of us would inevitably crash).  I realized that I enjoy trying to jibe around Bill more than the opposite.  This is especially true now because we have taken to yelling "humiliation" as we make our attempts.

Reminded me that I was using the boat as a beeeg jibe buoy and reference point. Definitely cool though bumping into it would have provided ample humiliation....... Winging from a boat way easier than kiting from a boat. Great tool to have in this state of isolation.  Also my first time winging without a wetsuit in slightly more Cronoa resistant temps!

https://youtu.be/Y6nJTMSyOTo
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:34:41 AM by obxDave »

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 10:11:02 AM »
I heard all launches in the gorge are now closed? What you guys gonna do now?

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 10:26:35 AM »
I heard all launches in the gorge are now closed? What you guys gonna do now?

The problem has become access to the water. Yesterday the hook, marina, and spit were still open. Today I haven't checked.
Anyone planning on bucking the system should do so with at least one witness (preferably at least 6' away), and their attorney on speed dial. At least road and Mt. biking are still ok because of course, these activities are perfectly safe and won't stress emergency resources ::)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 08:50:51 AM »
Here is the current message in Oregon as of yesterday (28th). Oregon restrictions should not stop family outings https://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/oregon-restrictions-should-not-stop-family-outings/article_fd011c74-7046-11ea-92b4-8f32a986dfda.html

Gov. Kate Brown said the far-reaching executive order she issued this week should not stop immediate families from motoring for relaxation or driving to a trailhead, as long as they maintain proper social distancing while hiking.

It is very measured and seems very reasonable.  Washington State is very similar.  Here is the Quote from Governor Inslee:

"Here is what the order will do, effective for a minimum of two weeks: It essentially requires every Washingtonian to minimize physical contact with others, unless they are pursuing essential activities, like grocery shopping, going to a doctor’s appointment or the pharmacy, or if they work at a business deemed essential to continue functioning during an emergency."

"This does NOT mean you can’t go outside. If you feel like going for a walk, gardening or going for a bike ride, we consider that essential activity too for everyone’s physical and mental health. We all just need to practice social distancing of six feet to protect ourselves and others — everywhere, all the time."

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:55:38 AM by Admin »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2020, 10:53:41 PM »
Some beaches in NC now closed to non-motorized watersports due to putting first responders at risk. This was  due to a single water rescue incident. Hasn’t happened on our beach yet but it could..........

CARTERET COUNTY, NC (WITN) - Four towns along the Crystal Coast are now banning people from going into the ocean.

Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, and Pine Knoll Shores will limit recreational water access beginning today.

The towns will fly double-red flags through April 29th because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Swimming, surfing, kiting, and any non-motorized recreational water access is now prohibited. The towns say residents are still allowed to walk, jog, and exercise along the beach strand.

Unseasonably warm weather resulted in a water rescue on Sunday, the towns say, putting first responders at risk to catching the virus.

Towns says they could cite violators, but they hope that people will voluntarily comply with the new restrictions. :)

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM