Author Topic: Lite wind foiling and adapting to the current Covid-19 world?  (Read 5426 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Curious how your wing dinging is being affected by Corona?  I read that even certain beaches are closing down due to Coronavirus. Visitor access to my home town (Outer Banks, NC) has just been shut down as of Tue. Only two bridges in and out, and a police checkpoint has been set up at each location (no confirmed Covid cases but no testing yet either, and since we are a primary east coast beach tourist destination, it’s basically a preemptive measure). As far as I know the beaches themselves remain open to residents and property owners, and it would be almost impossible to close them without mandatory curfews.

We are in the FL Keys at the moment and things are shutting down here as well. At an Airbnb and the only thing we’re doing is going out on the boat to fish, and finding ways to foil. Very few beaches here to start with and the one I was using just closed. I went back to it with the boat and just launched from the water. No one around at all and an awesome light wind session, an no wetsuit!

As much as I love wing foiling as a new skill set, I would never give up kite foiling. I’m finding that for light winds (8-14ish mph) in flat water I will always choose to kite foil if the location and conditions are favorable. Nothing beats the ability of a kite to generate quick massive power,...up on the foil instantly and rocketing in any direction I want. Turn on a dime transitions.  For higher winds and “sketchy” locations wing foiling is winning out. I also like transitioning between each discipline; helps you advance faster than just one type of foiling. Hopefully I’ll get some winging sessions in as well before we leave

Tough times we are in. Trying to stay active without burdening the system
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 11:44:09 PM by obxDave »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Lite wind foiling and adapting to the current Covid-19 world?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 10:04:44 AM »
I heard that our parks were closed in Maryland.  Here's the real dope.

Temporary facilities closure advisory

Following guidance from the CDC and recommendations from state and local public health authorities in consultation with NPS Public Health Service Officers, Assateague Island National Seashore has temporarily closed the following facilities until further notice in response to the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak.

Public parking areas, trails and the oversand vehicle zone (permit holders only) remain open. The health and safety of staff and visitors in these facilities is our number one priority. We are working with the NPS Office of Public Health, and the US Public Health Service to closely monitor the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. In the meantime, we continue to remind our visitors to follow the CDC's guidance to prevent the spread of infectious diseases, including maintaining social distance, covering your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze, and staying home if you feel sick.

Updates will be posted to the park website and social media channels.

(not sure of the Maryland portion - but don't use it much.  Pic is at the Federal beach from a week ago.)

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 06:04:12 AM »
Well, as of last night Monroe County (FL) Keys has requested all visitors leave by 6 pm Sunday with very few exceptions. Oh well, we did get one week in.  Got in a fun wing foil boat session yesterday. Same beach location I kite foiled the day before. It was kinda fun jibing around the boat. I did have a fun face plant from miss judging the anchor line on one pass.....😀

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:05:58 AM by obxDave »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 01:16:40 PM »
Hood River is more or less devoid of tourists. This is a town of fewer than 8,000 people with infrastructure for ten times that many. So when I go to Luhr Jensen park to wing foil there are perhaps ten people around, and none of them get closer than 20 feet.

That means getting in to my new O'Neill wetsuit is a bit of a challenge--I could use help getting the hood flap over my head. Getting our of it I must have looked like a snake shedding its skin. Not pretty, and it took quite a while.

Admin just called me and said the wind is coming up to the west. From my window, the water looks like a flawless mirror. I decided the spectacular Ginger, ginger, ginger scones I made for breakfast deserved a little splash of Jameson's in my coffee. I don't do that kind of stuff if I think there's a chance of surfing, never mind foiling. So I'm getting my excuses organized. Admin says Chan already said, "It's too cold". One might think this means we aren't going.

Actually it means just the opposite. We wouldn't need excuses if we weren't going to go.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 01:38:35 PM »
a little splash of Jameson's in my coffee.
 We wouldn't need excuses if we weren't going to go.

As you know, that's what we call coffee.  See you on the water!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 04:20:15 PM »
That was fun, ghosting around on the 6M wing. I never feel like pumping tires me out, but when I first get in the water I get up in nothing much for wind. the last few runs across the river I had to work hard to get up--even though it was blowing harder.

Of course, as soon as we put the gear away the wind popped up another 5mph. Oh well, it was great sliding across the unruffled river in a wind that was probably under 10mph most of the time. As soon as I turned downwind my wing came down. The 6M makes great use of apparent wind, but most times that I tried to angle down I'd graze a wingtip. Mostly I saved it, but I flipped the wing a few times. I hate it when that happens.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 12:37:03 AM »
Hood River is more or less devoid of tourists. This is a town of fewer than 8,000 people with infrastructure for ten times that many. So when I go to Luhr Jensen park to wing foil there are perhaps ten people around, and none of them get closer than 20 feet.

Sounds like an ideal place to ride this mess out. Haven’t been to Hood River since 1984 on a windsurfing trip. Remember riding at the hatchery quite well. Hatteras Island has actually gone quiet with the visitors locked out, similar to our hurricane evacuation periods. The scary part, in addition to the virus itself, are the local hand-to-mouth hospitality workers suddenly out of work and small businesses one loan payment away from disaster.   It will be interesting to see how places like Real Watersports and Kitty Hawk Kites survive strictly on internet sales. I might reduced to riding in the back yard or just from the boat 🤪
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 12:42:06 AM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 02:14:04 AM »
That was fun, ghosting around on the 6M wing. I never feel like pumping tires me out, but when I first get in the water I get up in nothing much for wind. the last few runs across the river I had to work hard to get up--even though it was blowing harder.

Of course, as soon as we put the gear away the wind popped up another 5mph. Oh well, it was great sliding across the unruffled river in a wind that was probably under 10mph most of the time. As soon as I turned downwind my wing came down. The 6M makes great use of apparent wind, but most times that I tried to angle down I'd graze a wingtip. Mostly I saved it, but I flipped the wing a few times. I hate it when that happens.

That was a hoot!  Bill and I had the place to ourselves for a good hour in really light wind and it was super smooth and awesome.  I do want to gloat for a moment because Bill and Chan both bet me that it was too light and that I would not be foiling when I first went out...and they each now owe me an elbow job (corona precaution). 

Bill and I were working on transitions and were using each other as jibe buoys (after one of us would inevitably crash).  I realized that I enjoy trying to jibe around Bill more than the opposite.  This is especially true now because we have taken to yelling "humiliation" as we make our attempts.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 06:53:52 AM »
He was carried most of the way across the river on the apparent gloating.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 07:58:44 AM »
C-- "He was carried most of the way across the river on the apparent gloating."

A-- "This is especially true now because we have taken to yelling "humiliation" as we make our attempts."

C-- The simple nut sack levitation effect reduced foil weight enough so that no assistance from the wing was required.

A-- So THAT'S what you were yelling. I thought you were acknowledging your unfair advantage by yelling "Levitation!". I was watching for some kind of Micael Jackson nut grab. I was yelling "Horace Greely Go Home".
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:05:53 AM by PonoBill »

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 01:36:28 PM »
Hmmmm...
https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-stay-at-home-order-coronavirus-covid-19-kate-brown/

Foiling is pretty similar to hiking and jogging right?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 02:52:26 PM »
Hmmmm...
https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-stay-at-home-order-coronavirus-covid-19-kate-brown/

Foiling is pretty similar to hiking and jogging right?

"Recreational activity like jogging or hiking is permitted under the order, so long as people can keep 6 feet away from others."  By that definition, we are good. 

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 02:22:16 AM »
Many "lock down" rules permit exercise.  Of course, with all the closures, access to the water is more difficult but I am thankful to be able to continue winging (using Google Earth to find access points has been a fun exercise).  Kiting is pretty much impossible right now in many parts of FL.  I am getting a 6 m wing to expand my opportunities.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 06:20:33 PM »
Yes, wing foiling has the potential to be a much more solitary sport than most of the stuff I like to do. Other than admin and Chan I haven't been closer than about 20 feet from anyone with foiling. And once I'm in the water it's more like 100 feet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal