Author Topic: Beach Closures - COVID-19  (Read 15927 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Beach Closures - COVID-19
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2020, 09:01:07 PM »
I talked to the county lifeguards today, and they said I can go out surfing, just can't park in the beach parking lot or State Park parking lots. There was at least 30 people out surfing at Doheny today. About the same yesterday, but the strong south wind has been blowing it out early. Plus they're ankle slappers. Supposed to pick up in size. I might have my daughter drop me off with my board at the beach below my house tomorrow, and I'll paddle down to DoHo. It's calling for more south wind tomorrow, so that's why it's a maybe.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2020, 09:39:37 PM »
LAPD told me to get out of the water on Sunday. In LA county the definition of beach includes 1000 feet from the shoreline. So we can't surf unless waves are breaking 1000 feet from shore. Even then, when you come back in you're not allowed to step on the sandy part of the beach or parking lot.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2020, 09:37:23 AM »
I don't want to be that Dude.....
It's not overhead to me!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2020, 01:46:56 PM »
It's not overhead to me!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2020, 07:31:25 PM »
Massachusetts just closed all beach parking lots...but the beaches can still be used for walking fishing etc.....just no crowds. My town closed the town beaches....nobody is supposed to be on them.

Not getting on the water isn't really an option for me. I'll still be going out but i'll have to launch from elsewhere.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2020, 08:06:56 PM »
If there's surf here, and the conditions are in my wheelhouse, I’m probably going. My normal spot doesn't get over crowded lineups, and if it does start getting crowded I'll move or just come in. No offense to anyone, but I don't agree there's only one right way here, there are times & places it can be done responsibly.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2020, 08:19:10 PM »
Isn't there a stay at home order across the U.S.?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:24:48 PM by Windwarrior »
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2020, 10:58:45 PM »
No federal stay at home order.  Yet. Only advisory. Only certain individual states' governors to date have issued orders.  And there's a debate whether the executive could legally impose a nationwide quarantine anyway. 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2020, 06:06:41 AM »

Some governors and mayors are emphasizing that outdoor exercise is an essential activity.  They are pointing out to obey all restrictions on closed areas.  That seems very sound to me. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2020, 10:20:07 AM »

Some governors and mayors are emphasizing that outdoor exercise is an essential activity.  They are pointing out to obey all restrictions on closed areas.  That seems very sound to me.
So you might just wing it.
It's not overhead to me!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2020, 10:27:30 AM »
Here is Google's Mobility report. 

I would tell Google that my mobility sucks except I am pretty sure that is not what they mean.  Hmmmm.

The Community Mobility Reports were developed to be helpful while adhering to our stringent privacy protocols and protecting people’s privacy. No personally identifiable information, such as an individual’s location, contacts or movement, will be made available at any point.

https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2020, 10:33:38 AM »
I dunno about everyone else but I just assume the nation be under complete quarantine so we can all get back to the norm. Ocean isn't go anywhere any time soon. The more people keep going about their lives by doing what they will, the longer this is going to drag out. The more this drags out, the worse it's going to get.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2020, 10:44:20 AM »
Our curve has flattened, we are at the peak. That is because of the lockdown. From here positive directions.

I have seen maps of google location movements. And of flight tracking. You guys are still moving a lot!

If you say you say you are going surfing, another guy does something else. You still have a lot of movement and keep spreading.
You will keep a steep curve like this.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2020, 10:53:37 AM »
Our curve has flattened, we are at the peak. That is because of the lockdown. From here positive directions.

I have seen maps of google location movements. And of flight tracking. You guys are still moving a lot!

If you say you say you are going surfing, another guy does something else. You still have a lot of movement and keep spreading.
You will keep a steep curve like this.
EXACTLY on the last part BUT we're far from being at the peak. According to Fauci "we're not even at halftime "
THAT tells me that we're in for a looooong haul and to continue to go out and do things not even knowing if you're a carrier is just flat out being a very pompous person. Plain and simple.

I'm parked at home, doing calisthenics every day and whenever I'm bored. Being responsible and getting fit(Brad Pitt fit like in Snatch)🤣.
I go out on my balcony for fresh air and watch a crap ton of movies. Also reading a bunch of books.
I'm doing my part!!!!!
WHO'S WITH ME DAMN IT?
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2020, 07:07:06 PM »
I dunno about everyone else but I just assume the nation be under complete quarantine so we can all get back to the norm. Ocean isn't go anywhere any time soon. The more people keep going about their lives by doing what they will, the longer this is going to drag out. The more this drags out, the worse it's going to get.

"So we can all get back to the norm" huh? Is China normal now, how about Hong Kong, S. Korea, Taiwan, Japan or Italy, they are all many, many weeks ahead of us? Not really sure how to put this ... but welcome to the new normal (and oh by the way it's still evolving). How about this, you think kids will be out trick-or-treating 'like normal' on Halloween, you think we'll all be gathering together 'like normal' for big group meals at Thanksgiving & Xmas (mom, dad, kids, grandma, uncle, niece, etc.), you think Times Square will be full of people on New Years Eve 'like normal' (maybe instead of festive hats & glasses, they'll be wearing festive face masks)? I for one don't think this will blow over if we just go sit inside and then we just pick where we left off, it's gonna leave a mark. And oh yeah, in case you haven't been paying attention, the ocean is going somewhere, it's rising.

Feel free to call-me out in 6 months and flame me on how f'n wrong I am. I sure as hell hope I am.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal