Author Topic: Beach Closures - COVID-19  (Read 15932 times)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Beach Closures - COVID-19
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2020, 01:18:51 PM »
They are now understanding that the hardest hit areas had multiple cases confined in a small areas. That's when it goes ballistic. I guess lots of confined work space restaurants bars etc in New York. They will probably find out a lot of people came back from Europe with it then where in confined spaces with multiple cases.
 This again is why South Korea has nailed it. Testing and an app that shows where infected people are. Anytime multiple infected people start to converge they get a text and disperse. They are still going about their daily lives and walking around.
 We are only just seeing VOLUNTRY testing in France. Confinement after it has spread and no testing? Hows that working for Italy?If 1 person in the family has it they will all get it eventually. Families touch each other share food etc more.
 The small town in Italy that has no deaths and no new cases TESTED.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2020, 09:44:19 PM »
Recent article in LA Times about crowds at L.A. beaches causing them to close beach parking lots and potentially impose other restrictions...

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-22/california-coronavirus-cases-deaths-rise-newsom

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2020, 12:51:32 PM »
South Africa - Cape Town beaches closed for all watersports from tomorrow - entire country in lock-down from Thursday midnight for 21 days. Not allowed to leave the house except to buy food and seek medical attention.

Work has gone to sh#t and now we have to do jumping jacks for 3 weeks! It just got real.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2020, 02:58:12 PM »
It is a strange mixed message from the government. They tell you it is OK to exercise outdoors, but not OK to park somewhere to do said exercise.

I'm pretty sure the beach has a lot more room than a city block for social distancing.

In WA state there has been a massive uproar over people visiting the beaches over the weekend. This panic has induced major tribalism among the locals. The same thing happening in Hawaii. People living in these places are making social media posts saying things like; "You coming here is the same as murdering my family." Their point being that the smaller local hospitals do not have capacity for ICU beds, which is true, but the infection rate is still scalable to the size of the community.

Not going to lie, my daughters and I surfed this weekend. Drove 60 miles away to a secluded spot that works on certain tides and swells. We had an entire cove beach to ourselves. We were at a state park that was open for day use. But, I felt pretty guilty the entire time.  However, any day I get to surf with all of my girls at once is worth more than anything to me, so I would do it again.

This afternoon we will get our political performance for the day, and will probably lose beach access for the foreseeable future.
Make paddleboarding great again!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2020, 04:27:46 PM »
Everyone have always exercised social distancing when I show up on my SUP

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2020, 02:09:12 AM »
Oh do the waves look sweet today. The webcams are showing paradise, but empty.

If I was not on lockdown I would be out there. Social distancingis easy for us.

But with the little devil in one ear egging me on to go, 'no one will know',
I guess this is a time to work on my selfish tendencies.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2020, 05:50:07 AM »
South Africa - Cape Town beaches closed for all watersports from tomorrow - entire country in lock-down from Thursday midnight for 21 days. Not allowed to leave the house except to buy food and seek medical attention.

Work has gone to sh#t and now we have to do jumping jacks for 3 weeks! It just got real.
In the UK we have similar restrictions now except you can leave the house for “one form of exercise a day”. I guess our government is trying to balance the mental health and physical health consequences of lack of activity with the consequences of the virus. If sitting around all day doing nothing might lead to a 0.5% increase in deaths from heart problems, suicide, murder etc then you are getting pretty close to the fatality rate from CV19. And then there is the issue that we are a nation of dog lovers.

Local beach now closed because thousands of tourists descended on this little village at the weekend. There were scenes like that in rural areas across the UK, so the government had little choice but to step up the restrictions.

I am recovering now from what I presume was CV19. I’m on day 12 or 13 now.  I won’t know for sure if it was CV19 because you can’t get tested here. Even some symptomatic patients in hospital here aren’t being tested. So the government figures on numbers with the disease are basically total fantasy. We will have to start watching the overall seasonally-adjusted mortality rate in the country to know what is really going on.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2020, 06:29:02 AM »
Hope you fully recover soon. Were you in hospital?Does that mean you are immune after. Still seems to be debates about it here.
 All very similar situations here.
We know 2 people that are sick,1 confirmed and 1 not confirmed that were both turned away from hospital as they weren't that sick.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2020, 06:49:49 AM »
It is a strange mixed message from the government. They tell you it is OK to exercise outdoors, but not OK to park somewhere to do said exercise.

I'm pretty sure the beach has a lot more room than a city block for social distancing.

In WA state there has been a massive uproar over people visiting the beaches over the weekend. This panic has induced major tribalism among the locals. The same thing happening in Hawaii. People living in these places are making social media posts saying things like; "You coming here is the same as murdering my family." Their point being that the smaller local hospitals do not have capacity for ICU beds, which is true, but the infection rate is still scalable to the size of the community.

Not going to lie, my daughters and I surfed this weekend. Drove 60 miles away to a secluded spot that works on certain tides and swells. We had an entire cove beach to ourselves. We were at a state park that was open for day use. But, I felt pretty guilty the entire time.  However, any day I get to surf with all of my girls at once is worth more than anything to me, so I would do it again.

This afternoon we will get our political performance for the day, and will probably lose beach access for the foreseeable future.
Where'd you go for the cove to surf? Only place I've ever seen with that description is W of Port Crescent.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2020, 07:40:43 AM »
Hope you fully recover soon. Were you in hospital?Does that mean you are immune after. Still seems to be debates about it here.
 All very similar situations here.
We know 2 people that are sick,1 confirmed and 1 not confirmed that were both turned away from hospital as they weren't that sick.
I’ve got a few days to go before I’ll be back to normal yet, I think. It was what if think of as a “moderate” level of incapacity. I had a couple of days of pneumonia in the middle when coughing up loads of thick green mucus which wasn’t great, but then back to the dry cough. Loads of other secondary symptoms too, sinus headaches, mouth ulcers, conjunctivitis etc. But I’ve felt worse with the flu before and my family seem to only get a very mild illness.

A friend of mine runs a biotech company and thinks that people will most likely have immunity for 6-12 months. Which might mean there will be another big outbreak in December(ish). But bear in mind that there are already different strains of this thing.  By next winter there will probably be many more. So it will all depend on how quickly and successfully vaccines can be made and distributed.

There’s been a bit of an “anti-science” or “anti-expert” vibe in British politics for a few years now. A growing trend. Well, that has certainly turned around now that life-and-death decisions have to be made based on information from people who actually know what they are talking about. So maybe some good will come of this.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2020, 09:53:04 AM »
All beaches are closed in San Diego with yellow police tape blocking access to the beach. I saw about a dozen surfers out at the OB beach and 3 or 4 police standing on the sidewalk looking. I asked them what are they going to do. He told me they got out before the tape went up, but soon the lifeguards will take their jetski out to tell them to leave.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2020, 10:38:56 AM »
Support your local shaper

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2020, 02:12:47 PM »
The beach across the street from the house here in South LA County is still open although the parking lot is closed.  Weather has been cold and windy last two days so only the locals are out walking.  My foil spot is about 1.5 miles away and I think the city will prohibit parking along the street to prevent large number of hikers from walking down the trail.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2020, 08:20:22 PM »
Talking with my EMT/RT daughter, she said the state emergency services briefing they've had said the reason for closures was the necessity for emergency response people to suit up in PPE to deal with injuries. The emergency responders were burning through the available stocks of PPE at an alarming rate dealing with typical beach and park incidents. She told me this, of course, while I was parked at the Hook with all my wingfoil gear in the truck, looking at some pretty decent wind and sunny but cold weather. I didn't go, but I was sorely tempted. We'll see how things go over the next few days. Hood River has an initiative going to make basic PPE gowns and facemasks. Maui Meyer is spearheading a group to get it done, and their results are pretty amazing. Here's the email I got about it this evening.

Greetings funders, great news from the Gorge!
It's here! We are live, with HMB 50, an Oregon not for profit to procure and donate PPE to health and public safety workers in the Gorge and beyond.

HMB 50 stands for "Hand Made Brigade, 50". 50 is the number of hours from when Dr. Laurel Berge, called me asking for help until the time we donned (and doffed, which apparently is a real word) the first tyvek prototype. (which was prototype 5) It's been a quick 5 days.

It is time to redeem your pledges! If you would like to donate, to our tax deductible organization online, please do so here:  http://nextdoorinc.org/donate/      Use the pull down menu to designate that the donation is being made to the Hand Made Brigade 50. If you would like your donation to be directed towards a specific area of concern (Masks, Shields or Gowns)  Please note that in the comment section.

If you would like to donate via check, to our tax deductible organization, please mail the check, made out to "The Next Door" and send it to 965 Tucker Road, Hood River Oregon, 97031, with HMB50 in the memo line.

If you DON'T CARE ABOUT THE DEDUCTION, Please send a check made out to HMB50 and Mail it to 1002 Oak Street, Hood River, Oregon 97031. If you would like to venmo me, It's @Maui-Meyer.

Our fiscal sponsor for tax deductible status, The Next Door, Hood River's leader in community development, and community social service.  Janet Hamada, a person whom I am lucky to call a friend, is the director of this organization. She is a "Super Titan" in my book. I am honored that they have taken HMB 50 on as a client on such short notice and with so much uncertainty.

You contributions have been so generous, and so important. We have, in the last 36 hours:

secured the ability to produce our gowns locally. The first production of this type, in the nation that I am aware of.  50 gowns a day by next week is targeted and at full run, (hopefully in 10-14 days) and more to come.  The bulk of the gowns will be donated to Hood River County's Emergency Response Center, who will, via the regions mutual aid agreement, point the gowns towards the areas of most need.  (The gowns are also being reviewed at the national level, and we plan to release the patterns free of charge to similar production facilities across the country, once we have production/sanitation protocols understood, and in place.)

Ordered 350 gallons of hand sanitizer produced locally to be donated to the Emergency Response Center, for free distribution.

Assisted in funding the production of 3,000 top of the line face shields, for distribution through the Emergency Response Center, to the region. 

There is more to come. I have not looked down yet. Nor will I

Stay Safe, Be Well. And. Thank you all. Please send your money, and please share this email far and wide.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2020, 08:17:49 PM »
FL Gov. DeSantis issued a safer-at-home order for the state effective 4/3 thru 4/30 ... so I went and read the order (link below) and if I read it right, was surprised to see that Sec 3, Essential Activities; part ii includes:

"Participating in recreational activities (consistent with social distancing guidelines) such as walking, biking, hiking, fishing, hunting, running, or swimming ..."

So my interpretation is, if we behave ourselves, we can be on the beach and in the surf. Which is great news because the Surf forecast for the end of this week is looking promising.

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/orders/2020/EO_20-91.pdf
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal