Author Topic: Beach Closures - COVID-19  (Read 15943 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Beach Closures - COVID-19
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 08:05:11 AM »
https://flip.it/MA_n_1

I like what this is saying

From the article

A low probability of catching COVID-19
The World Health Organization (“WHO”) released a study on how China responded to COVID-19. Currently, this study is one of the most exhaustive pieces published on how the virus spreads.
The results of their research show that COVID-19 doesn’t spread as easily as we first thought or the media had us believe (remember people abandoned their dogs out of fear of getting infected). According to their report if you come in contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19 you have a 1–5% chance of catching it as well. The variability is large because the infection is based on the type of contact and how long.
The majority of viral infections come from prolonged exposures in confined spaces with other infected individuals. Person-to-person and surface contact is by far the most common cause. From the WHO report, “When a cluster of several infected people occurred in China, it was most often (78–85%) caused by an infection within the family by droplets and other carriers of infection in close contact with an infected person.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:06:50 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 09:11:51 AM »
Interesting read. Thanks Dwight.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2020, 10:46:10 AM »
It does seem pretty unlikely that one would catch COVID19 winging around in the ocean. However, as someone who is married to a healthcare worker, I would ask that everyone get in the habit of distancing yourself from other people while  traveling to the water, launching, etc. It really isn’t too hard to chat with your friends while staying 6 feet apart, and it is the only thing we can do right now to help protect people who don’t have the option to stay home. It can be hard to get used to at first, but hey, if we can learn to wing on a foil we can learn to stay 6 feet away from our friends and other people while we’re doing it.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 12:57:27 PM »

Whew, glad I read that.  All these weeks of science jabber had me worried.  Thanks for the heads up.  I was about to drop some cash on this stuff, maybe I don't need it after all.  I may try Alex Jones' toothpaste though, just to be safe.   

https://twitter.com/i/status/1227657884395327489
Support your local shaper

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2020, 02:32:02 PM »
Korea 🇰🇷 has set up ‘phone booths’ that can test people for the coronavirus in just 7 minutes. The country has earned praise for its mass https://twitter.com/ErikSolheim/status/1241259513212211200?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Problem solved.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2020, 03:05:17 PM »
Although the streets and shops in Santa Cruz are looking like a ghost town, the surf at Pleasure Point is just as crowded as usual.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2020, 03:34:28 PM »
The results of their research show that COVID-19 doesn’t spread as easily as we first thought or the media had us believe (remember people abandoned their dogs out of fear of getting infected). According to their report if you come in contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19 you have a 1–5% chance of catching it as wel

I'm not disputing the experts, just trying to understand. If is doesn't spread so easily, why is is spreading so rapidly and so widely? There is no way to stop it, so why is it eventually declining where it spread rapidly?

My only guess is that most people in the areas of China and Italy where it has been around for a longer period of time have been exposed. Some are naturally susceptible to the virus, some are naturally resistant to it. Over time, almost everyone has been exposed, some got sick, some not.  Social distancing's goal is to slow the rate on exposure to keep the medical care from being overwhelmed, not to prevent people from being eventually exposed. Almost everyone will be exposed at one time or another, probably before the 12 to 18 months it will take to develop a vaccine.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2020, 03:39:03 PM »

These perspectives are consistent with what I have been finding.  I do NOT want to be too pollyanna but when people are posting about DOOMSDAY and what it's like to catch this or relating to smallpox I am perceiving this as a form of TERRORISM.  SCARY as Heck but NOT LIKELY TO HAPPEN to 99.5% of the Planet.

Deaths in the United States are still low.  Children and People to the age of 50 are being killed at rates similar to yearly FLU 0.1%.  That is 1 in 1000 people.  More like 1 in 50,000 if you are 10 or younger.   

I will also restate: The United States is NOT ITALY.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 03:42:01 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2020, 03:46:08 PM »
Although the streets and shops in Santa Cruz are looking like a ghost town, the surf at Pleasure Point is just as crowded as usual.

There are traffic jams in Half Moon Bay, CA right now.  Shelter in Place, with permitted exercise, has turned into people driving 20 miles to walk their dogs on the beach.  The local Barbaras Fish Trap Restaurant had a line of people 50 deep.  COVID-19 better be more benign or we may be foobarred. 

Beach Walkers:
http://www.miramarbeachrestaurant.com/live-web-cams

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »
At our park today, somebody ripped the toilet paper rack (held 12 rolls) off the wall and took the whole thing. The other rack (holding 5 rolls) was made of stainless steel with a huge padlock. It was badly damaged, but still there.

The world is ending for some people apparently.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2020, 07:00:57 PM »
Great session in North LA County.

Maybe 15 folks in the water, ones and twos and families on the beach spaced apart nicely. Sunny day, fresh air, clean clear water, sunny disposition. This is how beach access should be maintained. I feel so much better.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2020, 08:14:05 PM »
I had a mega socially distanced paddle today :) Like 3 miles out... Beautiful day too.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2020, 12:49:48 AM »

And Hawaii isn't too enamored with the mainland these days.   

Governor announced it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I0wJqaQuiw&feature=emb_logo

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2020, 09:13:22 AM »
Maui beach parks are closing Monday.  Inbound tourists and returning residents are "required" to self quarantine for 14 days.  It won't affect access to the ocean - other than the loss of some parking.  Going to be a lot of stinky bushes if they lock the bathrooms. 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2020, 12:40:02 PM »

New York State is starting to smell like Italy.  Let's all hope that the similarities don't start killing people.

1) States Charted - Only 1 State Jumping out
2) Latest Cases NY plotted vs Italy
3) Death rates NY vs ITALY

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal