Author Topic: Beach Closures - COVID-19  (Read 15931 times)

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Beach Closures - COVID-19
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 03:04:46 AM »
Just announced here in Texas. All the beaches on Galveston Island are now closed until further notice.

Nope! Beaches are open.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 05:44:37 AM »
Just announced here in Texas. All the beaches on Galveston Island are now closed until further notice.

Nope! Beaches are open.

I think the city of Galveston would disagree with you on their closing of all the public beaches in their domain.

https://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_adf63959-93d7-5528-86ed-7f2720b93583.html
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 07:34:27 AM »
Article says beach facilities are closed. Beaches are open, for now. They may block public access points later
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 08:23:57 AM »
They just banned alcohol to further discourage spring breakers and not ruin it for locals.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2020, 08:33:13 AM »
Our SoCal beaches are not closed, but they should be. All the groms that of out of school are out risking getting hepatitis from all the heavy rain run off. It's been raining steady for over a week now, and that water is nasty dirty.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2020, 09:02:19 AM »
The quarantine count down doesn't really start till everyone is home and settled in their communities. It's like waiting for the last car to get off a bridge so it can go up and let a boat pass. I hope the hotels get shut down soon.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 09:33:19 AM »
JAX Parks closed. No poles no hugo 🙄
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 05:18:18 PM »
LA County specifically says you can go exercise for health, outdoors, as long as you are not in a group and practice social distancing.

I’ve never heard a better description of surfing. Now that we’ve had 3 days of no rain I hope to go tomorrow and sit a little further from my buddies than normal.

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 08:23:02 PM »
California is under full lockdown. Stay in your house except groceries and emergencies.

Unless you live outside, then feel free to roam.

As one of those required to work every day under the Essential Critical Infrastructure, Defense Industrial Base Sector exception, nobody will stop me from going to my local beaches for ocean therapy! 

Of course, I will continue to do my part to maintain a 6' radius social distancing bubble between myself, other humans, and dolphins.

Max

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 09:22:39 PM »
So much for social distancing. I walked down to Doheny like I usually do. I'll pass the same few regular walkers and keep our distance. This morning it looked like Memorial Day. Hundreds of people where hanging out, walking, riding bikes, bbq'g, motor homes all along the beach, etc. Kids all over with their parents. Everyone walking their dogs.... I turned around and headed home. Seriously! They don't get it. Stay home means get the motor home out, load it up, and head where everyone else is going. It was even raining a little this morning. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Mmac

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 09:23:07 PM »
Beaches in Charleston, SC are now closed for 2 months to non-beach residents!  Seems ridiculous.  Another example of provincial, protective mentality here to privatize the beaches. It's been building for years and started with yearly increasing parking restrictions. Island/Beach leaders grasp every opportunity possible to shut down beach access to non-residents, it's really messed up.  Don't move to Charleston SC for it's beaches unless you are wealthy enough to buy island/beach property. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:11:46 PM by Mmac »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 10:26:03 PM »
Yeah, that’s BS. Beaches are free and open. Period.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2020, 12:18:33 AM »
Tough times. The only way to get ahead of this is to really quarantine. That means in or close to home.

I know it’s tough, but we can do this together. If we all take it seriously it is possible.

Solidarity is not an American gene. The problem here is, while the majority of us remain calm and do not panic, this is the group that is complacent about the risks as well.

Sure as surfers we are fairly distanced as is, so we can go surfing. The same is true for walkers, joggers, birdwatchers, climbers, bikers, and all the rest.

The curve has started to point up, ignore that to the detriment of the weak ones in your life. We all have some.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 12:23:32 AM »
Beaches are no longer free and opened in a lot of places in Europe! You will get fined.
 Too many people were still going out during the confinement. Now they are closed.
 Look at what has happened in other countries and the doctors begging people to stay home. The hospitals cant keep up in the hard hit areas. The army are now flying patients out of the hard hit areas too other hospitals or emergency army hospitals they are setting up away from the bad areas.
 This is not media hype etc anymore. Be sensible about this .

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2020, 07:46:11 AM »
Beaches are no longer free and opened in a lot of places in Europe! You will get fined.
 Too many people were still going out during the confinement. Now they are closed.
 Look at what has happened in other countries and the doctors begging people to stay home. The hospitals cant keep up in the hard hit areas. The army are now flying patients out of the hard hit areas too other hospitals or emergency army hospitals they are setting up away from the bad areas.
 This is not media hype etc anymore. Be sensible about this .

Tarquin, this is very good info from those harder hit and perhaps only days, a week, or two weeks ahead of us. I'm reconsidering my previous post now given others reports of people crowding to our beaches (to get outside into the sun). Perhaps I'll only go to my secret spots now, that are super low density. Those of us who are still working under these conditions are under an incredible amount of stress, and for me de-stressing is not sitting in the house watching Netflix.

If you have yet seen this YouTube video, it is a really good explanation related to the mathematics of the problem we're all facing. I pray that the measures being put in place now will break the exponential growth curve.

Max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal