Author Topic: Beach Closures - COVID-19  (Read 15929 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Beach Closures - COVID-19
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2020, 09:13:48 PM »
Surfer in Manhattan Beach fined $1000.00.  Partially for mouthing off the the lifeguard.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-29/surfer-fined-1-000-for-ignoring-coronavirus-closure-in-manhattan-beach

Seriously, WTF is wrong with people?  Even if you are allowed to surf, STAY THE FUCK HOME!!!  Need excursus?  Take a walk around your block.  If you live near the beach but the boardwalk/strand is closed, stay off.  Simple as that.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2020, 07:17:48 AM »
Surfer in Manhattan Beach fined $1000.00.  Partially for mouthing off the the lifeguard.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-29/surfer-fined-1-000-for-ignoring-coronavirus-closure-in-manhattan-beach

Seriously, WTF is wrong with people?  Even if you are allowed to surf, STAY THE FUCK HOME!!!  Need excursus?  Take a walk around your block.  If you live near the beach but the boardwalk/strand is closed, stay off.  Simple as that.
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
Couldn't have said it any better. 👍
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2020, 02:13:39 PM »

With all due respect, and you're certainly entitled to your own opinions, but seriously ...who the (I'll say it nicely) heck are you to tell me what to do? I'm adhering to the official guidance in my area and acting in a responsible manner when interacting with others. I consider myself a relatively intelligent & responsible adult and I choose to seek out facts & data* in order to make informed decisions on important aspects of my life. Not going to sit here waiting for the next mixed message from the authorities/officials who bungled this right up front and are now essentially still in fire-fighting** mode and trying to catch-up (don't wear mask, nope you should wear a mask, it's ok to be out but practice social distancing, nope stay home ...).

* Note: Thank you again to the zoners who are making facts & data easily available to us.
**Note: No disrespect to firefighters, just a figure of speech.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2020, 05:48:21 PM »
SAN DIEGO —  Recreational boating, swimming and surfing will be prohibited countywide beginning Saturday under new county orders directed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus, which claimed the life of another resident and reached 1,000 local cases as of Friday

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2020, 07:09:12 PM »
SAN DIEGO —  Recreational boating, swimming and surfing will be prohibited countywide beginning Saturday under new county orders directed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus, which claimed the life of another resident and reached 1,000 local cases as of Friday

Yeah we had a nice run up here - the beaches in Cardiff (state park managed) open until today.  But after seeing young guys crowding the peak at Cardiff reef and the groms on their e-bikes congregating at Seaside for the past week I knew it was just a matter of time.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2020, 10:38:06 PM »
Well I was definitely planning to go out tomorrow. But they put these signs today and I don't really want to manscape just to surf.....
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2020, 11:12:25 PM »
In all seriousness. I was planning on going out tomorrow. It's rare for us to get really good surf here this deep in the bay....tomorrow is supposed to be one of those days. Maybe even a once/5 year day. I'm still torn.  Supthecreek has even decided to stop going out for the duration.....he too is concerned about the social message it sends. Are we supposed to stay inside or not? Does our surfing encourage others to do things outside? According to the Gov here we should be staying inside, EXCEPT to get some exercise if we can practice safe social distance. There are still plenty of runners out, bikes too if it's a nice day. The state closed parking lots but the beaches are still open, state parks are still open.

My town has closed the town beaches completely....but left open parks, walking, trails, and other open spaces. Which to me is ludicrous since they present less space to spread out in many cases.  The problem was we had a nice day with all the kids and most parents at home....so all kinds of folks descended on the beaches and there was more than a little social contact going on....so in a reactionary move they closed them completely. The idiots that will gather will still do it...just elsewhere.

I'm basically under complete self quarantine....some rides in my truck around town, walks in the neighborhood but that's been it. My head has gone completely south, vertigo running crazy, hard time sleeping. Being off the water is killing me. I understand the idea of the need for PPE equipment if someone injures themselves. But I'm not sure if maybe the possibility of injury doesn't increase for me by staying off the water, at least in the longer term of a few weeks more. I'll be fucking falling by then.

Still not sure if I'll go out tomorrow (actually today now) or not.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:22:05 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2020, 11:35:51 PM »
Decided not to go out Sunday....the idea of the message it sends got to me. But it wasn't easy to do. The video was Brown's Bank Saturday night from the end of my street. Still a little rough but some long rides out there. I looked Sunday mid morning with some binoculars from my deck ( a more distant view through a lot more trees) and it was chest to head corduroy and long, long rides.....probably a once every 5 year swell here so deep in the bay. It was absolute torture and I've been in a shitty mood all day because of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyRRGdZPV34
Bob

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2020, 07:01:48 AM »
wow, if going surfing way out there is not social distancing, than I dont know what it is.

GO for it!

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2020, 09:19:43 AM »
WA is on the down hill side of this, but the state likely will not open beaches or parks until 5/4 - would like to see much sooner. For public health purposes it would make a lot of sense to get people out and living. I have a few surf spots that are accessed from roadside pull outs and I decided last night that I was going to start surfing again. The rule I am breaking is we are not supposed to travel for recreation, but I spent a long time thinking up justifications for being a scalawag and there is none. I just want to live the way I want to - so fuck it. I would be driving 40 miles.

WA state is going to have a problem this week as the temperature is going to be over 60 for the first time in a long time. Folks are going to be outside and our nanny state is going to be bloviating full out.

So I'm going to surf again. I also got ahold of the GM of the local golf course to which I pay a yearly membership for me and my family. I told them we were going to start playing. The pro shop is closed and cart barn is closed, but we can play if we carry our bags.

Make paddleboarding great again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal