Author Topic: protection gear  (Read 14014 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: protection gear
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2022, 08:59:59 AM »
I know a couple of guys who wear rugby helmets. I don't know why given the more rational alternatives. If ANY helmet is likely to screw up your neck, that's the one. With my huge gourd, I'd look like a giant hand grenade
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2022, 04:25:24 PM »
Accidentally wore impact vest surfing over the weekend (wind dropped, so packed my wing gear and drove over to ocean side in my wetsuit and forgot to take off my impact vest before heading out with surf SUP) and one down side: it makes your core really hot if you are up on a SUP and don't flush with water much.
Beasho got me into impact vests:

I wear an Oneil impact vest all the time.  I broke some ribs laying down a motorcycle and another time when a wave slammed my 11' SUP into me.  The good thing is you can wear a thinner suit, so a 4/3 -> 3/2, 3/2 > 1mm Short Sleeve, 1mm SS -> boardshorts.  I love wearing a 3/2 or thinner.  To make your wetsuit last longer, you may want to go up one size (assuming impact suit is worn under the wetsuit).  I have found that besides air/water temperature, sun versus overcast affects how warm I get in a suit.  In the winter on a sunny day, I can wear a 3/2.  Where an overcast winter day, I may feel more comfortable in a 4/3.  Wind chill is another variable, I normally dress warmer while kiting.
Big fan of Gath. They are expensive, but they last.  I just had to retire one that I bought circa 2005 where the front foam ripped out.
The other protection that I like to wear now are impact shorts.  I got mine off of amazon (best seller).  I wear them under my suit.  I fractured my sacrum sliding out on a freeboard (6 wheeled skateboard meant to feel like a snowboard) at a walking pace.  It took 12 months to heal. 
With the impact vest, helmet, and board shorts, I can go over the falls and land on my board, and usually not break any skin.  Note: They don't fit under my fitted 1 mm SS suit, so I wear them over, and wear boardshorts on top.
For kitefoiling I use the original Rush Randle hydrofoil which I nickname the machete.  I wear a lacrosse helmet for full face protection.  I don't use this foil in the surf, flat water only.  The early years of kite hydrofoils saw a lot of face trama, where a full face helmet was advantageous.    Full face river helmets are a lighter option, but more expensive.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 05:03:53 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Oldmansurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2022, 12:11:20 PM »
6 months into this sport- so protective gear especially helpful for me as I learn.  I am using a Gath Neo Helmet- fits well and I can even slide the hood on my 4/3 O'Neill Technobutter wetsuit OVER the helmet on cold days here in Virginia.  I really like the O'Neill Slasher comp vest.  I wear it over my wetsuit.  I find that the medium fits well (42" chest, 34" waist). It is snug, but doesn't get  loose when wet, and doesn't ride up, although I have had the lower part of the vest fold under itself on some spectacular crashes.  I would also include Solite booties as part of my protective gear- best booties I have ever had.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2022, 08:58:55 PM »
 I would also include Solite booties as part of my protective gear- best booties I have ever had.
[/quote]

+1 on the Solite Booties. 3 mm in the summer (cold water) and 3 mm + neoprene socks in the winter (very cold water). Durability is ok. One pair lasts about two seasons. Internal split toe. As close to bare foot as I have found for a bootie.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2022, 09:16:11 PM »
I got the decathlon new surf helmet, the Olian. It’s awesome. It’s got some funky dense foam that is pretty thin but feels like it would do the trick to prevent a split open head if a foil hit me. Another guy who wear the plastic gladiator looking helmet said he was going to order one.

I was in the XL based on my head measurements. It fits my head with no hood, but also fits over my 3mm hood with visor. Double visor is not a problem. I forget it’s there. Can’t find a flaw.

I ordered it from the UK site and had it shipped to a forwarding service since it was out of stock everywhere.

https://www.decathlon.com/products/olaian-surfing-helmet-327505?

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2022, 09:52:05 PM »
I wear a Bern helmet. They make great multi-sport helmets for about half the price as others. Got to "test it out" two days ago on a really bad crash where the board flipped onto my head with the foil going into the wing.

https://www.bernhelmets.com/collections/water

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2022, 03:04:18 PM »
The head, therefore a helmet, seems most critical in a worse case.  But I recently had to go under white water after a previous wave knocked me off my board.  My board seemed to be in a safe position, off to the side of me.  But I always have my eyes open underwater and like something possessed, my foil moved laterally at me.  I put up my hand which was holding my paddle, to block it.  Result, the paddle broke in two and somehow the outside edge of my pinky finger got sliced about 3/4 through.  Spurting blood out the top of it, so I ripped off my long sleeve and tied it around the base, which slowed it down to a slow seep.  Then I used the lower half of the paddle to get in.  Great sew job at the ER and it's healing well.  But now I've been looking at gloves.  Kevlar lined fishing gloves.  Because like the head or ribs, your hand is fairly vulnerable.  And even though your pinky is the least of all your fingers, for someone like me who makes a living with my hands, well it has been a bummer.  These are fishing gloves I've found that might fit the bill but anyone know of something better?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 03:06:10 PM by headmount »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2022, 03:10:41 PM »
Here's  13 days later and also the immediate post sew repair.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 03:18:25 PM by headmount »

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2022, 06:42:28 PM »
I got the decathlon new surf helmet, the Olian. It’s awesome. It’s got some funky dense foam that is pretty thin but feels like it would do the trick to prevent a split open head if a foil hit me. Another guy who wear the plastic gladiator looking helmet said he was going to order one.

I was in the XL based on my head measurements. It fits my head with no hood, but also fits over my 3mm hood with visor. Double visor is not a problem. I forget it’s there. Can’t find a flaw.

I ordered it from the UK site and had it shipped to a forwarding service since it was out of stock everywhere.

https://www.decathlon.com/products/olaian-surfing-helmet-327505?

That looks perfect. Thanks for sharing!  My gath feels overkill!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal