Author Topic: protection gear  (Read 14013 times)

FedorBOS

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: protection gear
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 07:31:45 AM »
100% on bright color. If I get separated from my gear and blown off shore I want to make the task of finding me as easy as possible.

Went to get a Gath and zero availability. Out of curiosity I ordered a Pro Tech knock off from Amazon (bright green) and it actually fits really well, is light, and seems to offer great coverage and protection, so going to give it a shot.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7T7L5Y/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Accidentally wore impact vest surfing over the weekend (wind dropped, so packed my wing gear and drove over to ocean side in my wetsuit and forgot to take off my impact vest before heading out with surf SUP) and one down side: it makes your core really hot if you are up on a SUP and don't flush with water much.

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 08:28:21 AM »
Patagonia makes a really comfortable impact vest. After breaking some ribs a few years ago, I got one to protect ribs on bigger standup days. It works great for winging and protects your sides when/if you crash hard while holding wing overhead.

Helmet wise, I think the primary function is to save you from being hit by the board when you’re not riding (in white water or super windy conditions). I have one for days when surf and wind are bigger but don’t use one otherwise, just a hat.

I also tried the hat shell thing and threw it in the trash after getting my bell rung on a minor fall. I’m convinced the shell is a bad idea and stands to make things worse.
165lbs
Riding
Jimmy Lewis 4'8 69L Custom
Reedin Superwing and Superwing X
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2021, 09:16:33 AM »
Patagonia makes a really comfortable impact vest. 

I bought one and immediately sold it. Besides being stiff, bulky, and very difficult to get on and off, it has no rib protection on the front. It's designed for big wave surfing.

The O'Neill Slasher Comp is more practical. I've had mine for two years and could not be happier. I completely forget that I'm wearing it. 

$117 on Amazon.  https://rb.gy/xoyesj

« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 09:25:58 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 12:05:15 PM »
Patagonia makes a really comfortable impact vest. 

I bought one and immediately sold it. Besides being stiff, bulky, and very difficult to get on and off, it has no rib protection on the front. It's designed for big wave surfing.

The O'Neill Slasher Comp is more practical. I've had mine for two years and could not be happier. I completely forget that I'm wearing it. 

$117 on Amazon.  https://rb.gy/xoyesj

Different strokes, i’ve used a number of different vests over the years and don’t share your experience with this one. Part of why I like it is that it’s not as bulky as many vests on the market and it doesn’t have padding in the stomach area. In my experience of two rib breaks from sup and kiting, the rib padding is right where you tend to impact for rib injuries. 
165lbs
Riding
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2021, 12:10:18 PM »
That said… I do agree it can be challenging to get off, that would be the downside in my book, but also part of why the fit tends to work well.
165lbs
Riding
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2021, 11:25:20 PM »
I also like the Patagonia vest. Likely best sized up a bit as can be challenging to get on until the armhole that you crawl through stretches out a bit. (70 kg and could not get a small on). I have used mine for about 3 years, wear it under my wet suit, and removed the padding from the legs. Prefer it to my Goru vest. Very good materials and construction.
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2022, 11:55:27 AM »
For wave riding on an SUP where it is a bit shallow (5 ft deep, 6 ft waves) and there is some danger of bumping the reef during a hold-down after a fall, what do you think of a bump cap under a 2 or 3 mm neoprene hood?

or a Gath SFC (Surf convertible) (it to their lightest helmet I believe)

or a Simba?

Simba seems like it might be overkill, but is it better than a Gath SFC in terms of whiplash? I am not too concerned about cost, but want to be pretty safe and wondered if the bump cap (Ergodyne Skullerz 8945) might be enough? 

https://www.amazon.com/Ergodyne-Skullerz-8945F-Universal-Baseball/dp/B09D16Q74W/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2022, 04:50:02 PM »
For wave riding on an SUP where it is a bit shallow (5 ft deep, 6 ft waves) and there is some danger of bumping the reef during a hold-down after a fall, what do you think of a bump cap under a 2 or 3 mm neoprene hood?

or a Gath SFC (Surf convertible) (it to their lightest helmet I believe)

or a Simba?

Simba seems like it might be overkill, but is it better than a Gath SFC in terms of whiplash? I am not too concerned about cost, but want to be pretty safe and wondered if the bump cap (Ergodyne Skullerz 8945) might be enough? 

https://www.amazon.com/Ergodyne-Skullerz-8945F-Universal-Baseball/dp/B09D16Q74W/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Zack
I have used a Gath surf convertible for years now. I have a large for going hoodless and extra large for going over my hood in the winter. Flat black colour and I painted over the little white wings on the sides to convince myself that it looks like I have a hood on. I get clunked on the head by my board at least once a year and I always wear the helmet. I try to remember to put it on when I trailer the board down to the beach behind my bike. Probably the bike ride has a greater risk of concussion than does surfing. That said if you get concussed surfing your risks of a bad outcome are higher than if you fall off your bike. Perception of risk is interesting. Years ago when I used to kayak quite a bit I looked into the risk of dying when white water paddling. Insurance companies keep this sort of data. It was interesting to find that the risk of dying driving to the launch site was about an order of magnitude greater than that of white water paddling. 
Bob
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 04:51:44 PM by FRP »
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2022, 02:40:03 PM »
Thanks Bob. I am thinking of going that same route. Any concern about neck strain during a wipe out-- or when getting caught inside-- while riding waves on an SUP

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2022, 03:06:47 PM »
My gath convertible Large works great. I remove the liner strip when hooded, so two helmets not required for me.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2022, 04:27:04 PM »
I’ve been using a bump cap under a bucket hat and I like it. Ultra light but adds some protection. I have been whacked pretty hard a couple of times and was glad to have it. Definitely NOT a substitute for a real helmet but much better than nothing, and because it’s so low profile I don’t mind wearing it.

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 06:43:27 AM »
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/helmet-for-surfing/_/R-p-327505

Tried one of these on 2 days ago.. Dime tourist had ir kiting here in cancun.. Very comfy.. The XL fit me snug... Could possibly keep the noggin from getting sliced open by mast or foil.. Dunno if it can be purchased in the states but worth a look!

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2022, 04:26:20 PM »
Wow, thanks for posting, that looks great. I've been dragging my feet on getting a helmet but this one speaks to me. It's like a more refined soft helmet. I'm sure you've seen this - looks like this is V2 of their helmet, V1 was reviewed on this site:  https://projectsurfhelmet.com/top-3/

They're sold out now on the US site, and the UK site wont ship to the US. :(
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 04:44:31 PM by JohnnyTsunami »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2022, 04:25:30 AM »
This link gives a better overview of the Amazon rugby helmets.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Sports-Outdoors-Rugby-Headguards/zgbs/sporting-goods/3416031

Jeremy on OCEABOUND wears one in some of his videos.  https://youtu.be/w5UTL2WLwn0?t=200

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 04:37:20 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal