Author Topic: Risks Involved In Learning Wing Foiling???  (Read 5162 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Risks Involved In Learning Wing Foiling???
« on: March 17, 2020, 08:52:15 PM »
Hi Guys,

I’m wondering what type of risks are involved in learning Wing Foiling? This may sound like a silly question, but I am brand new to the sport and have just recently got all my gear. And I’m also asking for a very specific reason.

I only thought of this when I saw supnorte’s post in the “Virus” thread in the “Random” category. He said in Portugal that surfing, SUP and all nautical activities are forbidden because of the Covid 19 breakout. At first this didn’t make sense, but later in his post he explained these measures have been put in place to minimize the need for non Covid 19 patients to take up hospital beds. This makes a lot of sense to me.

So while I just recently got all my gear, and haven’t yet had the opportunity to get it out on the water, I really don’t want to do anything to put myself at risk and potentially take up a bed that might be needed. I know we can’t live in a bubble, but I also think during this time we need to think of those that will be in need.

So back to the original question, I’m wondering what type of risk is involved, especially while learning? I’m thinking I’m fairly safe if I just wanted to take the Wing out on a regular (inflatable) paddle board and get a feel for the Wing on the water?

I’m also guessing the only real danger is posed by the foil? So if this is the case I could just put off for a while taking my foil board and foil out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Risks Involved In Learning Wing Foiling???
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 09:11:35 PM »
Wear a helmet and impact vest and you should be ok. If you have bad knees then a knee brace also, you'll be kicking out at times and can hyper extend your knee.

Hilly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 09:55:19 PM »
Your biggest danger is driving to the beach.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 10:10:14 PM »
Wear a helmet and impact vest and you should be ok. If you have bad knees then a knee brace also, you'll be kicking out at times and can hyper extend your knee.

Thanks Nick. Much appreciated.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 12:04:46 AM »
I’ll say that I can’t speak with total authority but if someone had been hospitalized by a foil this crew would have talked about it.

Also, if you start now we’re still on the way up. You might be out of that bed before it’s needed for a patient.

In a final word of encouragement, I’m going to say that we’re go8ng to flatten the curve. Here’s to positive vibes and social distancing on a surf board.

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 02:41:42 AM »
I think the dangers are:
- to get hit by the foil (so wear the helmet and the impact vest and in general a wetsuit because some foil can cut like a knife so better not to expose directly the skin)
- to injured your ankle if you use straps (in this case just be careful of the reef or shallow waters and in general while you surf waves)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 03:37:01 AM »
I think if you wear a helmet, the risks of injury requiring hospitalization are very low.  Much lower than kiting for example.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 04:11:29 AM »
There are a few foil brands where the tips and tails are sharp. Kicking those, giving yourself minor leg cuts is common. Wetsuits solve that.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:27:26 AM by Dwight (DW) »

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 04:15:22 AM »
yes i use Moses and i had to unsharp the tips with sand paper because i cut 2 times the canopy of my wing foil!

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 04:50:15 AM »
I will add to watch your fingers on the wing leash.  If you are out in some howling winds, make sure you pay attention to how you handle your leash. 

I generally get situated on my board first and let my wing just flutter.  Then I pull my wing to me to get ready to fly.  When I pull my wing to me, I try to do it with large, quick pulls to get to a handle as quick as I can.  When I first started, I was just ho-hum pulling the wing by the leash to me and a gust hit and pulled it out of my hand. Luckily my leash was not wrapped in any way around my fingers. But I did see the potential.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 05:24:30 AM »
I forgot, booties help also. Kicking the foil, jumping off the board onto random objects in the water, walking around in the water. I've cut myself a bunch on foils. So now even if I like the performance of a foil, if it's sharp or pointed on the tips and really sharp on the rear of the wings, then it's not for me.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 05:46:03 AM »
QB,  Everybody went to Stage 2, 3, to howling winds...  " I’m thinking I’m fairly safe if I just wanted to take the Wing out on a regular (inflatable) paddle board and get a feel for the Wing on the water?"

For sure - you are safe. Hilly nailed it.

I think you will find it less frustrating to 'get the feel' initially running around on the beach like a crazy person 'netting butterflies'.  When you get ready to try your inflatable - find a very shallow spot where you can walk waaaay out and then jump on.  Unless you picked the wrong wind direction - you can expect to be back about where you started right quick. 

Still, it will give you a 'feel'.*  Simply following Nick's remarkably clear instructions on mounting the board will have you miles ahead  when it comes to attaching the machete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIspFfN3vfs&feature=emb_logo

Jim

*I have not mounted a foil myself, but tried a variety of SUPs and a directional kiteboard (big fail).  I can crawl upwind about as fast as I can walk in waist-deep water on my 12-6 x 29 SUP better than a shorter/wider SUP.

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 08:19:07 AM »
My 5 mill booties definitely kept the top of my foot laceration free after I kicked the back of my tail wing like an idiot bailing over the weekend.  It hurt to walk for an evening, now I'm fine.  This was surfing, not winging however. 

Being aware of where the foil is when not on-top of the board is very important.  You will find yourself bumping it at first, and this stage is where neoprene will be your friend.   Keep a hand on the board at all times when it is between you and any wave action!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 12:06:05 PM »
For me the risk is all about what type of foil you use.

The faster you go, the more likely you are to hurt yourself when you fall, and the sharper the foil is the more likely you are to get cut when you hit it by mistake.

I use the Slingshot Infinity 84 foil. This is a downwind foil and is large. Top speed is 20 mph, but it is very comfortable going a lot slower than that.

I have been using this foil for years, both for wind foiling, and now wing foiling. I have taken falls where I have hit the foil and never once got cut because it is not sharp. I did not even have any bruises.

Recently, I finally got my first scrape when I got knocked over in shore break when carrying my equipment. If you have shore break that is actually the most difficult part, much more so than foiling.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 01:55:47 PM »
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal