Author Topic: 2020 NRS neoprene Boundary Boots.  (Read 9053 times)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
2020 NRS neoprene Boundary Boots.
« on: March 16, 2020, 09:39:12 PM »
I had been wanting a pair of higher cut neoprene paddling boots, and ordered a pair of the updated NRS Boundary boots through Western Canoe and Kayaking, which arrived early March. These are the updated version of the Boundary boot, and other than the height of the boot at 15", the 5mm upper, and 7mm neoprene insole, everything else has changed. Check out the link below for full details.

The Boundary boot has beefed up the protection with a full toe wrap, extra rubber on high wear areas, and improved traction and sole. I have tried the boots on a couple of extended paddling trips with a wide swing in temperatures, and these are warmer than my 6.5mm neoprene booties, and are also warmer than my insulated, winter rubber boots, which was a bit surprising. These boots seem quite comfortable and I definitely recommend for winter and shoulder season paddling.

The only potential downside of these boots is the sizing, and I may have to sell mine or return because the jump from size 10 to 11 is really big in these boots. I have a pair of NRS neoprene kickers in size 11 and NRS vibe water sneakers also in size 11, which fit well, and the Boundary boots are noticeably bigger. More like an 11.5 or 12". I normally wear a size 10 and ordered up a size with my other NRS shoes, but the Boundaries are much larger, and keep in mind there are no half sizes in these boots, so do your research if you have to order with out trying them on. With my thick woolies, and drysuit booties, there is still at least a half inch of room to the end of the toe box, and a bit of movement in the boots, so I would not call the 11s "true to size" for traditional NRS sizing. I am thinking about getting a pair of insoles for these, which could help snug up the fit, and extend the use to shoulder season paddling as well.

https://www.nrs.com/product/30035.02/nrs-boundary-boots
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:42:59 PM by robon »

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 NRS neoprene Boundary Boots.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 09:45:40 PM »
Thanks for this. It's been in the back of my mind to try something like these.... to get me out on days I wouldn't otherwise.

I assume the calf cinch would prevent much water from getting in in case of a fall. That plus wool socks.

Or are socks necessary?

Love the snow in the background!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:48:45 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 10:14:11 PM »
No problem.

I got worked over a bit on this day when a snow squall moved in, limiting visibility and forcing a headwind battle for a couple of hours. The boots passed the test as a lot of water was coming over the sides in the chop, and I stayed warm. There is always a bit of water coming in the scuppers onto the deck of the ACE GT, so a good pair of boots in the winter is important for this board.

I believe the calf cinch is another update of this boot over the previous model, and there is a rubber lining that wraps around into the inside that should help with a seal too. I have always worn woolies in the winter with neoprene booties, because some water can get in if you fall. I have integrated booties on my drysuit, so my feet stay dry, but wool socks help a lot to keep the feet warm.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:16:12 PM by robon »

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 10:34:15 AM »
Thanks for that detail. I’m motivated now.

And beautiful photo.... makes it all worthwhile if you can get yourself out there.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 01:33:39 PM »
I have the older 5mm Boundary Boots. I've had them for years. I found 5mm isn't enough for really cold water, like sub 45 degrees. I also had an odd problem with them. My feet and calves would cramp up while wearing them for more than a couple of hours. I think it had something to do with the gel soles -- I don't really know for sure, but it was only those boots. They work well otherwise.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 03:57:04 PM »
I have the older 5mm Boundary Boots. I've had them for years. I found 5mm isn't enough for really cold water, like sub 45 degrees. I also had an odd problem with them. My feet and calves would cramp up while wearing them for more than a couple of hours. I think it had something to do with the gel soles -- I don't really know for sure, but it was only those boots. They work well otherwise.

Hey Ichabod,

The lowers on the previous model were 7mm and the uppers were 5mm, so I wonder how these would feel for you. The boots have stayed the same with the main differences being a 2mm shim for protection against rocks etc, and a full rubber toe wrap. The built up lowers may help with warmth with the new version. I did have a paddle where the temperature got cold enough that ice formed on the deck and my feet stayed warm. I had to do a portage through shallow water that had a thin ice layer yesterday and I stayed warm. Usually my feet get a little bit cold towards the end of a paddle in the winter (weather dependent) but this is the warmest my feet have been paddling.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 03:58:44 PM by robon »

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 04:06:24 PM »
I bought the last of the size 12 NRS old style I could find online before last Christmas - oddly - I accidentally got a size 11 too  - and am still stuck with them so far :( (my fault)  - but the 11s, not only too small for my size 9 feet with 2 pairs of wools socks, or even 1 pair (and they were reported to be "larger" than normal size), they have a seam under the heal - super annoying - I'd heard that mentioned as a problem on reviews - and my 12's - do not have a seam. I like the "slipper"-ish-ness of the old style - at least, I think I do, it's why I bought the old style - and I find them comfy.
Oh - and they were cheap :D
Does anyone need some 11's in the old style? They will fit a 20" calf! I'd sell them for $45 plus shipping. Worn twice low miles :D . I'm putting them out at the next paddle at Eklutna Tailrace this weekend in Alaska - so they might sell locally if one our local paddlers gets cold feet :D
With 2 pairs of wool socks, good into the teens - so far. Just need to be loose around the toes or it tends to not be as warm - hence, I needed 12's ....(wiiiidde feet as well as just 9's).

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 04:28:16 PM »
Hey,

I haven’t tried the old Boundary boot, but  I get the updated version on and off quite easily. There is also a heel loop on the new version to help with getting them on. The quick lace is there to snug the boot up but with it loosened the boots slide off easily and go on quick.

You and I are the opposite as far as feet go. I have narrow feet and am a size 10, so typically have to tighten up any boot or shoe I get quite a bit. I don’t like having this much space but the boots still work. Half sizing Would probably be perfect for me with this boot.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 08:07:47 PM »
As to the warmth difference, I’d bet it’s just newer neoprene. Every couple of years the rubber gets better and you can notice it for sure.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 06:37:08 AM »
my 12's are pretty loose - but - I'm not hiking in these. I've been wearing them in the yard this week - the snow is like 2 feet deep and they won't let snow in  - I'm tempted to try a new style set as working-in-snow boots - the soles look a lot more "boot" and maybe I could put some miles on them. With the old-style, loose 12's, I'm comfy for 2 hours of scraping snow off the roof - standing in deep snow. I'd put them as similar to my wool-insert-sorel-knockoffs - but they weigh 1/3 or less than the standard stompers. And - yeah, pretty easy to slide off - I roll the tops down and then slip out. I do build up moisture in them - no breathing in neoprene.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 12:07:11 PM »
my 12's are pretty loose - but - I'm not hiking in these. I've been wearing them in the yard this week - the snow is like 2 feet deep and they won't let snow in  - I'm tempted to try a new style set as working-in-snow boots - the soles look a lot more "boot" and maybe I could put some miles on them. With the old-style, loose 12's, I'm comfy for 2 hours of scraping snow off the roof - standing in deep snow. I'd put them as similar to my wool-insert-sorel-knockoffs - but they weigh 1/3 or less than the standard stompers. And - yeah, pretty easy to slide off - I roll the tops down and then slip out. I do build up moisture in them - no breathing in neoprene.

The new style Boundary has a more defined sole with a different tread but it’s still a soft boot overall. A bit more protection than the old style but still lighter duty. I was looking at the NRS ATB wet shoe that has a hiking boot lug tread but it is a shorter cut, so I went with the Boundary.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:09:00 PM by robon »

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 03:44:57 PM »
Still like the new style boot? I have a hard time with warm feet still - and I need more layers than the old style size 13 will let me fit. There are some  14s and 15s online for $99. I was thinking 14 would be like a 15/16 in the old style boot. I still have small (9) feet but I need many layers for -15/-20 (it was -12 at the house but nearby to where I paddled it was reported at -19). I tried foot warmers - not enough oxygen in the boot to make them stay working. I am buying some expensive electric socks to try - maybe this will change the game for me.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 09:42:40 AM »
Still liking the boots and they are the best I have owned for cold weather paddling yet. I do a lot of shoreline walks and scrambles when I paddle, so i’m going to get a pair of boots with a heavier duty sole, with more ankle support. I can use these boots but have to be careful when Im walking among sharp rocks because the neoprene will not hold up. The NRS work boot looks good and I’m looking at some scuba boots as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal