Author Topic: Cowboy Foil SUP build thread  (Read 7662 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy Foil SUP build thread
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 10:05:19 PM »
Man, we all are adapting now. ;) Hey man we still have to get you to do a shape3D class! I think a Zoner shape shack class could be solid.

Thanks man, these seem pretty solid but I just hate repairs so I over did it. My next board I’m trying a method some of the big foils guys are doing where they tie the boxes to a pair of stringers. I hope I get delayed by getting to surf a bit soon.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 10:01:50 PM »
So. Many. Updated. Ok so got the boxes in. And used spray adhesive to hold the carbon and glass on them. Magic. Laminated dual 6 Oz e glass as per Charlie's advice with some white resin on the bottom to make the carbon not be able to cook eggs lol.

After I did the bottom I decided that I wanted to hot coat with white so as to keep the whole bottom cooler. It worked fine. Again, moving fast, prototyping.

Clean laps are for longboards.

Foil boards are great for playing around with resin colors.

Glassing Wrapped... Mostly

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 10:10:05 PM »
Setting up. Use a jig, don't let your hole saw skid around.

Tape off the green light surf supply Goretex vent plug. Really cool. 3D printed. Looks like they made it themselves.

Pulll the top off.

Test fit

Didn't shoot the next steps but they have a YouTube video on it. Neat trick, you put epoxy putty around the bottom to keep the resin from getting under it and messing up the venting. Then pour the resin around the top. I went with bright neon green. Like I said, good for playing with color.

Sand it off and you get this.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 10:45:20 PM »
You got be careful setting those leash plugs. I've had some plugs pull straight out after a week or so. It just takes a few good wipeouts and a few strong pulls on the leash plug and they're loose. What happens is that little 1/8"+ of epoxy (depending on how much extra foam came out when you cut the whole. Sometimes there's just enough exothermic heat because of the thickness of the epoxy, that it melts the foam away just a little. So now your plug is only attached to the surface glass. Because there's no force on the Gore vent I like to set mine with 5 minute epoxy gel. With the leash plugs which take a force, I'll first brush a thin layer of epoxy inside the freshly cut leash plug hole and let it cure. Then I'll set the leash plug with a small piece of 4 oz glass under it and lapping out on to the board glass. Danny Brawner taught me that trick.  8)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:49:23 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 10:50:18 PM »
Board is looking GREAT by the way....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 10:55:48 PM »
Thx man. Yes, I always worry about plugs.

I should have noted my prep on this one too. In the past I’ve seen them suck a lot of resin, so I did a slurry of resin, q-cell and aerosil and painted the inside of the hole with it to stabilize the EPS. (Dang that stuff is mostly air) So that gives me a little resin wall to attach to and keeps the resin from getting out. Then I also like to cut a couple of slices  just under the skin to get the resin to spread out a bit.

I totally see how those things pop right out. I’ll have to try the glass wrap thing. Larry A does that with his probox installs.

And thanks, it’s going to be decent looking for as fast as it’s come together. The prone board is about halfway there too. That one has finboxes mounted to wood stringers to make it stable for pumping. Can’t wait to share the build as it’s kinda wacky.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2020, 09:52:13 PM »
Ok, I owe this thread some pics but I surfed it today and here’s the review.

Not bad for a noob shaper. I’ll report when I know more, this was my 3rd session and I got a total of 4 sec of flight time. More on that in another thread. But I can say, if you’re struggling to learn to foil on a converted SUP, it might be the board. Getting your foot back to the mast while paddling fast enough to catch a wave seems really hard with a thinned out tail. My brick made it much easier. Though when I go shorter I’ll add even more  volume at the back.

My homemade arch bar made things waaaay easier as I instantly knew when I was off the center line. Foils are surprisingly stable in flight, that is a strange thing you don’t expect. But do not vary your feet when learning. I now know why people liked straps. Feet in the right place, you’re gonna fly. Wrong place and there’s nothing you can do. How did anyone figure this sport out in the first place?

I decided to put this in the water before I finished fine sanding my touch ups and I’ll never finish sand a foil board again lol. There are too many potential dings. Run what ya got from now on. Oh and the dual 6oz seems fine, as Charlie said. 15 lbs exactly with the pad and handle installed. I guess it could have been lighter but maybe not with my glassing skills. Maybe I’ll bag the next one and see.

The shape is fine but I now suspect that til you know what you’re doing it doesn’t matter. I could have been foiling a door. The volume at the back is the key thing. I used a flat blank and it’s fine. The nose sinks when paddling and then that wing kicks in and nothing can stop it. Pearling seems to be a thing of the past now.

I set my mast way back today about an inch from the rear but an inch behind my balance point. Glad I did as it was pretty big. But if I get knee high waves next weekend I’ll set it for balance. My snowboard skills and hdip’s final advice of “front foot and then more front foot!) had me not really taking off til I moved back.

Anyway, my first foil SUP works. Thanks as always to the guys who keep the shape shack alive. It’s like Swaylocks with no dicks. Amazing. Special shout outs to DW and Charlie who always share their knowledge way more freely than they have to. You guys innovate this stuff and my hat is off. Everyone go buy their stuff. It rocks and you get less dust in your hair. (And clothes, and garage, and...and...) Robert from Blue Planet’s innovations and shapes heavily influenced this as well. Mahalo.

I’ll get some photos up. The arch bar is a seriously nice thing to have.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2020, 10:36:29 PM »
Nice! The cam had me jealous all day. Move that foil forward in the box as you become comfortable. Sounds like you had a good handle on where it was for today though. Even if you're not out of the water the foil is still reacting and you're still controlling it. You're foiling, just haven't earned your wings yet.

Any other foils out?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2020, 09:00:03 PM »
A guy,(Peter?) on a badass new Cloud9 high aspect with an FCD board (dude, so local it hurts!) was out when I showed up. I watched him for a half hour while the tide and my courage came up. Really nice 100 yard rides.

After I got in a dude on a red Jimmy Lewis with a GoFoil maliko paddled out. Super chill style and posting up long rides from the point to the beach houses like he was standing in line at the bank. Really cool.

I’m ready for next weekend and yeah as it gets mushier I see the reason to more the foil up for sure.

It is wild to feel the “half foiling” thing too. All of a sudden your crazy wobbly board gets stable lol.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 01:48:55 PM »
...With the leash plugs which take a force, I'll first brush a thin layer of epoxy inside the freshly cut leash plug hole and let it cure. Then I'll set the leash plug with a small piece of 4 oz glass under it and lapping out on to the board glass. Danny Brawner taught me that trick.

Seems like a good idea. Also, after it is installed, how about laying down a web of uni fibre intersecting the top of the edge of the plug and extending a distance onto the board after its installed? As if a tangent but covering a bit of the plug's outer edge. We could reinforce any plug already installed, not just new or repaired installs.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2020, 07:46:49 PM »
One note on mine. It’s the vent so don’t put glass under it. If you wanna run it around it you can.

But also, remember that this is a 6’4” 15lb board so the physics are different than a larger SUP so there’s that. Also, in a foil, I’m not going to be in even head high waves so different strokes, right?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2020, 10:46:48 PM »
Pics of final steps.

Handle going in. I totally messed this up. (my homage to Pono) didn't route the surround deep enough to put glass under the handle. But I saved it will a solid layer over it and I'm a lightweight anyway.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2020, 10:53:54 PM »
And then maybe my best work. The padding. I bought a sheet of this super thin 2.5mm EVA from Agenda Surf. Really cool and light and won't catch your toes when you pop up when it's used on a prone board.

I did it in one piece 42" x 19" and I used some old 3mm (4?) Traction pad to make an arch bar.

One layer 1.5" wide and then a 5/8" layer on top so I can really feel it. Found out I can instantly place my feet on center without looking at all. Head up! Look where you're going! The back arch is set right over my eventual balance point once I'm over the hump. It's segmented so I can judge my back foot placement by if I'm on or off the front or back.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Cowboy Foil SUP build thread
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2020, 10:55:33 PM »
And after my first session at Hdip and Steamroller's secret spot.

Now, it's time to glass this 5'6" prone foil board...

ceej

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2020, 03:33:17 PM »
Hi surfcowboy, I'm about to start working on a wing foil board and hoping you can give me some guidance... I am using a similar build construction to you. I have a 2lb eps blank with a wood stringer and am going to use 2 layers of 6oz top and bottom. I have a HD mast insert from greenlight. How many layers of carbon is your patch? When laminating the bottom, did you laminate the carbon patch first, and then lam on the 6oz glass? or was it all at the same time?

I also saw you mention connecting the track boxes to stringers in some way. Should I try and route out part of my HD insert for the stringer to go thru? or best to just route out the stringer completely and put the HD cassette in?

Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal