Author Topic: Cowboy Foil SUP build thread  (Read 7655 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Cowboy Foil SUP build thread
« on: March 15, 2020, 09:14:58 PM »
I now know why you guys move off of converted SUPs so quickly. The volume at the tail makes it hard to paddle into waves. So, into the shape shack again. I sourced a 4'x8'x4" sheet of 1.5 lb EPS foam locally for $49. Decided I was going to learn to hotwire foam.

Got lucky and got a raw cut which gave me an extra inch of length and width (easy on the comments kids.)

I fudged the nose of the SUP blank with the angled cut to get 6’6” and leave enough width for a tow board. I got my 21” wide (deck) 48” blank. I’ll use the extra off cut from the prone blank to glue on and get me up to 4’6” or 4’8” or so. (TBD after I get some time on the water on the 5’6”)

Here’s the yield:

6’6” X 28” SUP blank
6’6” X 21” Prone blank (which I’ll cut down to a 5’6” or so, post your recommendations for a 53 year old intermediate weekend warrior)
48” X 21” Prone/Tow blank (with a 2” chine that I’ll soften up and match on the other rail) This will likely become a 2" thick wake foil for the summer.

Not bad for $49 and an 90 minutes of measuring and cutting. Let’s order some resin and carbon folks!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy Foil SUP build thread
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 09:32:07 PM »
Ok so yesterday and today I got about 6-7 hours of social distancing in and roughed in the shape.

6'5" long by 28" wide by 4" thick. I want this thing to be easy. I'll make another and sell this to a buddy soon I'm sure.

Went for a simple template and bottom setup. Inspired by the blue planet Carver and DW's sage wisdom.

Here's the description. Tail chine is 9" from tail. Boxes will be set 2" in from that. This should put my back foot just about a perfect step back from where I'll need to stand to paddle in parallel stance. Foil will be right between my feet and I think this will balance using the KD Maui test. If not I've got 5" of box room to move forward.

Chines leave a 20" flat bottom and are mellow, only about 1" up the rail and 4" in. The hotwire is amazing. I'm hooked. I've also got templates for my nose rocker too now.

Deck is flat but I'll taper is and round the rails off a bit to make them safer.  I got it pretty much to shape today.

The only question in my mind is the 28" width. Tempted to go narrower but easy sounds pretty good for now too lol.

I hope to finish up the shaping at night this week and maybe start glassing next weekend. Maybe. But the idea here is quick and dirty. Get it into the water and make another when I figure this one out.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:33:47 PM by surfcowboy »

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 05:41:37 AM »
Looks great Cowboy! You have way too much space to work in.... ;D

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 08:07:17 AM »
Haha lol right? Makes me stay skinny. I still can’t understand how these one car garages worked in the 40’s and 50’s in SoCal. Clearly made for a model T.

Also I’ve been working to get everything into a container or box ala Mythbusters. Waayyyy harder than it seems like it’d be.

Now you guys know why I’ve been building prone boards for 2 years. ;)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 08:50:10 AM »
Haha lol right? Makes me stay skinny. I still can’t understand how these one car garages worked in the 40’s and 50’s in SoCal. Clearly made for a model T.

Also I’ve been working to get everything into a container or box ala Mythbusters. Waayyyy harder than it seems like it’d be.

Now you guys know why I’ve been building prone boards for 2 years. ;)

Sheesh man, I thought I'm a master of tight spaces but you put me to shame ;D The only other guy I know, building boards in such a tight space, came up with the 2 piece board tech
that Sunova now licenses... food for thoughts?
in progress...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 06:11:31 PM »
That’s why I don’t mind sanding, I get to go outside.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 10:28:50 PM »
Super sweet, cool build project. Looking forward to a ride report.

My 2 cents on width is there's no reason to go narrower until you're a good foiler and wanting to lay down radical turns.  The only other reason I can think of is downwind where a narrower shape might increase board speed to help catch tiny bumps.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 07:22:44 PM »
Thanks Clay. Today that decision became even more clear when I heard from a buddy that I can do a dual 6 Oz layup. (Charlie from the U.K.!) That will keep the cost down (I’ll add some wide carbon tape as a stringer and to transfer force ) so I can iterate more quickly without spending a ton.

I’m ordering some glass and supplies tonight and going to try to wrap this thing up in time to get in the water when the rains pass.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 09:15:43 PM »
Nice looking board, Cowboy!  Agree wholeheartedly on converted SUPs or 2-in-1s.  Dedicated foil boards are so much easier to get flying.  Something to consider is whether you might want to add a small step in the tail.  My 6'0 Kalama has it and I have tried boards without it and much prefer tail on the Kalama.  That said, am sure there are other factors involved (e.g. how much overhang there is on the tail and how steep an angle there is back there).

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 11:59:51 PM »
Thx man. I’m going to start simple on this one. But I hope to see your board and a lot more out on the water and figure out what’s next. I’m sure my shapes will evolve as I get my eyes and hands on more boards.

Just ordered glassing supplies tonight. Now just need a little more energy at the end of the day to get this shape refined.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 03:06:23 PM »
Sure!  I get the impression the step matters more on the SUPs versus prone that has a much shorter tail.  Will look forward to see the progress and also connecting with you on the water if you make it up to the 805 or if I make it down to Malibu.  Steamroller's KT has a really cool looking tail too!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Cowboy Foil SUP build thread
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 09:30:27 PM »
Made some progress tonight. Man, the beginning of a board is so much easier than the middle lol..

I am hand-shaping this whole board, not even using a template this time just to challenge myself. The rails on this are going to be so chunky it’s hilarious but my instructor warned me about knifey rails and your ribs. These will be easy to fall on for sure.

I think the tail is going to work but that’s what we always think, right? I’m building this one without carbon so no need to bag it. Which means if I hate the tail I can hack it up and reshape it. True prototype.

Here's a shaping shot. It's wild how side lights show you what's out of whack.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:33:17 PM by surfcowboy »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 10:41:22 PM »
Ok. Got the shape smoothed out. Now to set the boxes.

I got this cassette from Charlie at Grey Paddle boards in the UK. But I wanted to try something that was discussed over in the tracks vs Tuttle thread, tying the boxes to the deck with high density foam.

I only had some small pieces of the HD foam so I just braced the front and back with blocks.

So here's my take on it. Route the cassette in. Then cut out holes for the blocks.

Once it's all cut and sanded to fit, then gorilla glue it in. (yes this is a full Beasho special project.)

Sand the blocks down and I'm ready to glass.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 04:03:39 PM »
Haven't been posting but I've been working steady. Decided to get all three roughed in before glassing so I'd have the worst of the dust cleaned up before glassing.

I'm starting the process with my box insert. Can't seem to get the depth right on these cassettes but it's only my second one. I put glass under them and I think that complicates the install.

Here's where I got so far.

That old video patchbay probably cost some TV station $2,000 new. It makes a good weight for glue ups now.

I'll try to post up more pics as I start glassing. Right now I'm fixing the depth issues with this box install. I've got about 2mm to build up so to keep the weight down I'll have a cool channel in the bottom now lol. Pics coming.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 08:56:15 PM »
Nice work Cowboy. You are looking pro with the router:) When foiling first started I ran into friend at Bashem's surf supply. He was showing me how the foil mount fin boxes were just pulling the glass off the board. He asked me if I thought a wide patch of CF, like 12" by 16" would be enough to hold the fin boxes in place. Then I looked at the mast and foil and thought, SHIT that a lot of leverage! I told him I didn't think a patch of CF was going to do it. It seemed like it needed to go all the way through the board at attach to the glass on the top of the board as well? Or a very thick swatch of CF that wrapped all the way around the rails. This was the first foil board I ever saw at SanO.
They've come a long way with the foil mounts. With your design I don't think you will ever have a problem.

BTW, remember when your were trying to talk me through screen sharing.... Now I'm teaching all my classes from home with Zoom, and sharing my screen with my students. I get it:) 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal