Author Topic: Cowboy Foil SUP build thread  (Read 7654 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy Foil SUP build thread
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2020, 08:23:29 PM »
I am using a similar build construction to you. I have a 2lb eps blank with a wood stringer and am going to use 2 layers of 6oz top and bottom. I have a HD mast insert from greenlight. How many layers of carbon is your patch?

When laminating the bottom, did you laminate the carbon patch first, and then lam on the 6oz glass? or was it all at the same time?

I also saw you mention connecting the track boxes to stringers in some way. Should I try and route out part of my HD insert for the stringer to go thru? or best to just route out the stringer completely and put the HD cassette in?

I only did one layer of 6oz carbon. 3x 6oz cloth is a lot in my book.

I laid the carbon and glass at the same time. But I wetted the carbon a bit to start then rolled the glass back over it.

Man, I’m not sure about the stringer. I’d guess routing the stringer just enough to set the box in would be best. Keep the continuity of the deck half and set the cassette in the bottom.  Unless your cassette is thick and goes through to the deck. If so then that’s different nd I’m not sure. But honestly at th se thicknesses and with these layups unless you’re a big dude I don’t know how much more than a cassette you need.

Mine is stringerless and my insert was only 1 1/4” thick. As far as tying boxes to stringers, I’ll post another thread about that. That was for a prone foil board and I routed in 2 stringers and glued and glassed the boxes to them. Pretty bomber, I think. lol. But time will tell.

Good luck and start thread, I’ll follow for sure.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2020, 04:34:20 AM »

Looks awesome! How did it go?
I gave up on my wing build, too many irons and not enough fire...but it was a fun winter pastime getting as far as I did.

I am a fan of having foaming PU or HD foam surrounding hardware and then a little glass over it (fin boxes, leash plugs, etc.) In my mind it's adding strength,preventing leaks, and providing a little 'transition' between the different materials. It could all be in my head too...
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2020, 12:50:17 PM »
Ok the board is great for a beginner. I’m really pleased. Thanks for asking.

I’m betting this suits me for a few months and then I’ll move down to something between 5’ and 5’6” and maybe 26” wide. But this will then be a great beginner wing foil board and also should get a few buddies into the sport.

On my wing, I’m thinking of building a Clearwater wing (1500) to fit my Gong fuse. That will get me familiar with the right layup and be an easy next step.

The cost of the mast and fuse is so low now I can’t really justify making those until I come up with a better idea. I do want to make wings though, Container’s stuff is too appealing.

If you can shape at all, you can make a cheap foil board and get foiling for under a grand. If you got lucky on Craigslist maybe even less. That’s really what I wanted to see. My board lacks the sophistication of DW, Kalama, or BluePlanet’s designs but is fine to learn on.

I think my second will be pretty good. I need a dang 3D printer though now as I want to mock up my wing adapters so they are repeatable and I can fix the angle.

One final note since you’ve watched this whole thing. I’m 100% going to go back and fly my home brew foil as soon as I feel confident flying. I have to see how it goes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal