Author Topic: Anyone try Black Project Texcarbon shaft?  (Read 2251 times)

puget sound

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone try Black Project Texcarbon shaft?
« on: March 14, 2020, 07:48:58 PM »
Has anyone tried the Black Project texcarbon shaft? It's the silver one with the texture. Any problems with blisters during long paddles or the shaft not sliding well in your hand as you switch sides? 

I've been happy with smooth shafts, no desire to add wax or tape or anything like that. I did pick up a Texcarbon paddle once in a store and was surprised how prominent the texture is. Good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks!
Starboard Sprint 21.5 / SIC RS 14x23 / SIC Bullet V1

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
Re: Anyone try Black Project Texcarbon shaft?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 07:58:49 AM »
I tried one for a few hours last year in conditions that would have given me blisters with my QB ultralight shaft.

I did not notice any more grip than my kenalu shaft but the size was smaller which I did not like. I also found the blade slipped a little but I prefer high grip blade and the medium hydro was smaller than my 90 mana blade. I would say the medium hydro has the same grip as the mana 82 and a harder/ firmer catch. It also needs a little more attention.

SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 09:19:13 AM »
I have the Surge paddle a surf specific model. been using it as my main paddle for 1 year. Regular/medium SDS (not skinny) diameter. It is by far the most awesome surf paddle I have owned. In fact, I just got another one that is 2" longer for SUP foil. Great for bracing and paddling into waves as well sticking in for a pivot turn. the blade is buoyant, so not only super light it has a return feel during the sweep. I ride fairly small boards for my size most of the time. I have never raced or paddled for distance so I can not comment on that.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 03:56:25 PM »
I’ve got the Texalium Surge. No problems with the shaft. The t-handle isn’t particularly comfortable, and I tied the Hydro recently and that felt like a better paddle to me.

Texalium isn’t Carbon. It’s probably a bit of a gimmick really, but it could be handy in very hot countries. It certainly looks nice.

https://carbonfibergear.com/blogs/carbonfiber/what-is-texalium

puget sound

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 09:13:56 PM »
Good timing for Black Project fans. They're having a 25% off sale thru March 22 to encourage people to stay healthy by paddling.

https://mailchi.mp/blackprojectsup.com/keep-paddling-and-save-25-off-storewide?e=ba39ae8184
Starboard Sprint 21.5 / SIC RS 14x23 / SIC Bullet V1

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 09:51:40 PM »
Good timing for Black Project fans. They're having a 25% off sale thru March 22 to encourage people to stay healthy by paddling.

https://mailchi.mp/blackprojectsup.com/keep-paddling-and-save-25-off-storewide?e=ba39ae8184

Yes I was tempted by a Maliko V3 fin but with the foreign exchange at 1.41 CAD for 1 USD, that put a stop to it.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal