Author Topic: The Virus is getting more spooky - when the Docs get sick - and they are 32!!  (Read 12652 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Quarantine starts at Midnight tonight March 16th, 2020 for (some of) us in California.

Mandatory Lockdown until April 7th. 

I have been telling people we are 2 to 7 days ahead of the rest.

https://youtu.be/o_cImRzKXOs
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:48:24 PM by Beasho »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I read an article explaining that the quarantine measures have there best chance of stopping the spread of the virus when implemented early.  Once 1 % of the population is infected, there is little chance of preventing the numbers to hit full contagion of around 60%.  If this happens what seems awful now will be much worse.  Almost everyone on this forum will be personally impacted, and not just financially.  The financial loses are already a reality.  I hope that at least these measures save lives.  If Trump is now on board with the CDC position and financially damaging federal policies, the currently classified statistical data and expert analysis on this most be grim.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Has anyone come across any information on spread from water activities in lakes and rivers?  The CDC site explains that tap water is safe.  Chlorinated pools are safe (although interaction with an infected person or contact with door knobs, sinks etc is not). 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:07:30 PM by Chan »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
This is by far the best article I've seen. It really makes a case for how social distancing works and why it is needed.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
This is by far the best article I've seen. It really makes a case for how social distancing works and why it is needed.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Excellent article. Thank you for posting it.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Social distance - I'm working from home for awhile - luckily, we can adapt in my particular group - we keep the internet backbone/undersea fiber stuff going, mostly log into things, fix logical issues, and sometimes replace a failed card node somewhere - we are keeping the team apart, not going in the same car, not going to same place if we can avoid it - the work phones are IP based - like magic, plug them in at home and they are making calls and ringing like we are at our desks. I took all the monitors and POE switches (to power the phones) home - my commute was nice today. Saves me two hours a day of driving. Still just one confirmed case in Alaska.

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
The situation is very alarming and don't trust your Clown in Chief. Listen to the main scientists and trust the news coming from more mainstream media (and avoid FOX News, Breibarts, etc).

In Portugal, all schools are closed since last week, as well as most shops and people are working from home. Beaches are closed (because on the first day colleges closed the weather was great and thousands went to Carcavelos beach in Lisbon) and surfing, SUP and all nautical activities are forbidden. And physical borders are closed, except for products transport and people living in Portugal (or people that live in Spain and want to get back).

I'm currently on quarantine at home since the 11th with my family and fortunatly I live in a house with a garden and pool (most European live in flats). My bother in law is in induced coma due to a pneumonia provoked by the Convide-19. He is 50 and was not in a risk group, so things are very real and dangerous. My nephew also has the virus (he is 6) but he only had a milf fever and is OK. Me and my family are being monitered by a health delegated, that contact us everyday to know if we are ok and to know our temperature.

The ideia behind everyone staying at home is that the cases are most spread out in time and not all concentrated at the same time putting unberable pressure on the health system. Even with not many cases (compared to other countries) here and only one death at the moment, the system in under immense. Risky tasks or sports should be avoived to prevent accidents and more people going to the hospital.

We are fortunate to have a free health care system in Portugal, and even the private hospitals are cooperating in this situation, but if the situation escalates there's a possibility that the government forces the private hospitals to provide free or cheap health care to the infected. This situation in similar to other European countries.

We must do all that we can to keep the number of infected low adn to do everything we can to keep the risk groups safe. When the Covid-19 initially reached Italy, most people didn't went into social restriction mode and the virus spread rapidly, reaching the elderly very fast. Italian doctors, since they can't save or treat everyone infected, are now following an emergency protocol where people above 80 years are not being treated as well as many others, in order to save others, so this gives you a real perspective of the current situation.

Stay safe, everyone!!!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
My older brother Scott https://www.viriontx.com/scott-strome-md co-wrote this Op Ed.  He is a Head and Neck Surgeon and is the Dean of Medicine at University of Tennessee.  He is a very conservative guy and I really value his suggestions.

https://dailymemphian.com/article/11531/pandemic-op-ed

These are some takeaways:

It is likely to infect 30% to 40% of the population over the next two years.

If the mortality rate from COVID-19 is around 0.5%, thousands of Memphians will require intensive care and a substantial fraction of those will die. Our health system cannot handle that many severe cases all at once, but will be able to cope, likely reducing this number of deaths, if it is spread out somewhat evenly over the next couple of years.

The large pool of uninsured and underinsured combined with the constrained support of public health institutions only serves to amplify the problem. We may be blunting the impact of the pandemic on our health care system, while at the same time creating new and more significant problems for the economic health of our community — problems that will likely leave an indelible imprint on our society.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 04:13:12 AM by Admin »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
A couple of unnerving things: 

"induced coma due to a pneumonia provoked by the Convide-19. He is 50 and was not in a risk group, so things are very real and dangerous."  (sorry to hear, Norte)
________

"..likely to infect 30% to 40% of the population over the next two years.."  That is a grim thought, Boss. Imagine attempting to 'bunker in place' for 24 months.

________

Reaching back about 9mos.   "Almost 40% of American adults wouldn’t be able to cover a $400 emergency with cash, savings or a credit card charge that they could quickly pay off, a Federal Reserve survey finds."

About 27% of those surveyed would need to borrow the money or sell something to come up with the $400 and an additional 12% would not be able to cover it at all, according to the Federal Reserve's 2018 report on the economic well-being of U.S. households released on Thursday.

Already, the Airlines, 'Cruise Ship industry' (the F'ing hubris when they pollute and hire cheap, virtually conscripted labor), fancy hotels and restaurants are begging for Billions?!.  Let them take the same hit joe-above-average takes to his Vanguard account.

(Don't take that wrong, I think Bernie a total idiot with an easily demonstratable, near-zero performance record to prove it.)

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
 Supnorte best wishes for your family in this time.

Admin your brother wrote a good article. Thank you for sharing.

He is right at least 30% of the population will get CV. High hopes that this immediate behavioral change we are forced into spreads it out and slows it down enough that we can prepare our hospitals for the effects.

Pretty sure when they let us go back to reality the virus will spread, but if we are ready for it, I think we have to let it spread. Maybe isolating hot spots as needed. If the vaccine is not ready for a year, the only way to live with it is to build herd immunity. Norway and Sweden are doing just that. Interminably wrecking the economy, to me, is far more dangerous than a virus with a 0.5% death rate.

It is heartening to hear that China is reopening areas in Wuhan, I just hope that is not just spin.

Make paddleboarding great again!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Back to 'when the docs get sick'...

" Stephen Anderson, MD, who has been an emergency physician in suburban Seattle for 35 years, told the Times. In emergency rooms across the country, doctors and nurses are suddenly wary of anyone walking in the door with a cough. It's particularly stressful for these providers who have to deal with emergencies but may not know the infective status of the patient. ICU workers, on the other hand, know they're exposed to the virus frequently.

All of that anxiety is compounded by the threat of shortages of personal protective equipment. Anderson said his hospital was down to a 2-day supply of surgical masks, which translated to one mask per shift. He has to remove it and clean it each time he takes it off and on.
"

Where's the F'ing government?!   Who's in charge?!  Ford/GM built hundreds of WW2 bombers a month with almost no startup time.  I know we cannot seem to beat the Chinese at making anything anymore but, damn, if there's an incentive to nationalize some industries that aren't making much profit anyway - let them build ventilators, masks and protective gear for our medical staffs ...and the rest of the World.  How about leading from the front again? 

Jim

https://www.medpagetoday.com/publichealthpolicy/generalprofessionalissues/85486?xid=nl_mpt_investigative2020-03-18&eun=g1282527d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=InvestigateMD_031820&utm_term=NL_Gen_Int_InvestigateMD_Active
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Back to 'when the docs get sick'...

" Stephen Anderson, MD, who has been an emergency physician in suburban Seattle for 35 years, told the Times. In emergency rooms across the country, doctors and nurses are suddenly wary of anyone walking in the door with a cough. It's particularly stressful for these providers who have to deal with emergencies but may not know the infective status of the patient. ICU workers, on the other hand, know they're exposed to the virus frequently.

All of that anxiety is compounded by the threat of shortages of personal protective equipment. Anderson said his hospital was down to a 2-day supply of surgical masks, which translated to one mask per shift. He has to remove it and clean it each time he takes it off and on.
"

Where's the F'ing government?!   Who's in charge?!  Ford/GM built hundreds of WW2 bombers a month with almost no startup time.  I know we cannot seem to beat the Chinese at making anything anymore but, damn, if there's an incentive to nationalize some industries that aren't making much profit anyway - let them build ventilators, masks and protective gear for our medical staffs ...and the rest of the World.  How about leading from the front again? 

Jim

https://www.medpagetoday.com/publichealthpolicy/generalprofessionalissues/85486?xid=nl_mpt_investigative2020-03-18&eun=g1282527d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=InvestigateMD_031820&utm_term=NL_Gen_Int_InvestigateMD_Active

Based on the news this afternoon it appears they heard you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal