Author Topic: SoCal Foil boat lesson  (Read 2228 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
SoCal Foil boat lesson
« on: March 07, 2020, 06:54:27 PM »
Couldn’t get behind a boat in San Diego so when I got back I gave google one last Hail Mary and lo and behold in AirBnB there was a foiling experience.

Peter DeAvila is an experienced captain with a nice little Whaler and an Infinity 6’10” x 27” FoilSUP and GoFoil Maliko 200 and all the stuff you need. He’s patient, tells you what you need to know, and a great hang.

I went out today and lo and behold I flew!  Conditions were rough and I almost gave up. 2-3 ft swell and 12 knot winds made it hard to stand on the board and taxi. But I got a couple of short flights and felt what I need to feel. There truly is nothing to compare it to. I get it now. The silence, the smoothness, I describe it as sliding over oiled glass.

I’m going to head out and get into some whitewash and see what’s what. If a buddy goes out with Peter, I’m sure I’ll tag along for some more boat time but on any smooth day, this will get you sorted. I had a ball even on a rough one.

I was staggered by how slow the Maliko takes off. 5 knots and I was in the air. At that speed, I never felt in danger and could safely bail whenever I got a bit off. (A lot of the time lol) I can see how in waves people might think this is hairy but on a big wing, behind a boat, you can learn at an insanely slow speed. Really cool.

If you’re in LA and want to see if foiling is for you, check this out. Oh, and yeah, I’m sore from head to foot. This sport is a workout.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal Foil boat lesson
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 04:41:09 PM »
Yes--the Maliko 200 is such a friendly wing.  Kind of like surfing a longboard versus shortboard!  Thanks for posting this as I have a buddy that has been working on learning to foil locally here and really wants to get behind a boat.  I am sure he will look up Peter.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 08:26:13 PM »
Well done Surfcowboy, welcome to the club. It is truly a feeling like no other, and the silence is golden.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 05:24:23 PM »
Right on! 

Shoot foiling in wind and 2-3 chop is tough period, that you had any flights is huge success.  Congrats!
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 05:17:36 PM »
When you are next down in San Diego, hit up Dave Daum of King's Paddlesports.  He does boat/jet ski lessons out of the lagoon in Carlsbad.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 08:05:46 PM »
Thanks, RAT.

I’ll look them up if I need some boat time.

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 08:55:13 PM »
I'm "hard headed" so no boat lessons.  I just go out, 3-4 days a week, wearing an impact vest and Garth helmet and ate shiz. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 08:28:34 AM »
I will say that I liked the boat and can totally see getting behind my friend’s dinghy this year and cruising a bit. Also, when I head South I’m bringing a little tow board to play in the lakes and practice dock starts and stuff.

I think the boat is just another part of foiling.

It’s also cool that it takes so little motor to pull us. I can see getting (or renting) a little inflatable like Erik from The Progression Project has done to putt around in and tow.

If I lived inland I’d make a Clearwater foil and a plywood board for sure. If I end up back home more I might make one to leave there myself.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal