Author Topic: WTB decent 14ft all around  (Read 7135 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: WTB decent 14ft all around
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 10:39:17 PM »
In your original post you said you were looking for 14’ by at least 28”. I’m not sure a 26” Whiplash is going to be as stable as a 28”, even with the 4 fins.

I have a Whiplash, although to clarify, it is 12’ 6” x 24 1/2” and is a custom build. But it does have the 4 fins which were installed by Larry Allison. I bought it second hand, so I’m not sure how much my custom is different than the stock model. This is also the only Whiplash I’ve paddled.

And don’t get me wrong, I like my Whiplash. Mine at least is a low volume board and it’s a lot of fun, although I don’t use it much anymore as I now mostly paddle my 12’ 6” x 24” ONE Sup Evo.

But with my Whiplash, it really is a flat water board. I also do my paddling on a small lake. But we get wind up almost every afternoon in the summer, and when the wind isn’t up there will usually be boat wakes. And in these conditions my Whiplash is simply not a great board. The extra 1 1/2” width would make a difference on the board you’re looking at, and I’m pretty sure a 14’ would be more stable than my 12’ 6”. But having said that, there is a reason the Whiplash was always sold as a flat water board. Just wanted to add a word of caution.

And finally, Kayadogg is another Zoner who doesn’t post all that much any more but he’s a good guy and has owned a lot of different Infinity Boards. It might be worth your while to shoot him a PM and get his opinion.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 04:13:19 AM »
See!  Now there you go adding in real world experience that goes against what I was thinking last night, sheesh!  Like I said before, the boards are $250 apart in price which isn't killing me (although I wish the Naish were the cheaper of the two).

Interesting to hear about the boat wakes and wind chop.  Funny but I don't even have to deal with very many boats wakes where I am.  The typical two lakes I paddle are trolling motors only.  Then again, the one is 3 miles long while the other is only less than a mile from one end to the other.  There are a two other I go to less frequently that do allow motors.  That said, there could be some light wind chop and any of them. 

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2020, 04:31:16 AM »
Whiplash! The width difference, in my experience with paddling both a 28 and a 26, is negligible. The 26 will require a bit more attention, but that will only make it more fun to paddle. I can still fish off my 26.

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2020, 04:35:24 AM »
HOLD THE PHONE, I am a complete dumba$$.  The Naish is a Javelin x29 GX, not a Glide.  Man I'm blind!

Not sure if that changes anything.

Feel free to verbally berate me for being an idiot :)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2020, 05:01:50 AM »
What's your height and weight Kwolfe?
in progress...

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2020, 05:05:34 AM »
6ft 200lbs

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2020, 05:43:40 AM »
Then for the conditions you describe my personal choice between the 2 would be the Whip (especially now that you're saying it's a 29 Javelin). For example, I'm 190+ and I use my Naish 14x26" in rough open water(no 4drive but that's coming)
One thing I've always noticed going beyond 27" wide board is how it affects my stroke. Wide boards are not good friends of effective stroke.

If you do end up with the Whip make sure to get the Abuelo ventral fin (unless you have a lot of tall grass in your water). Makes big difference for me riding heavily trafficked area and choppy cross wind.
in progress...

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2020, 06:09:24 AM »
Thanks man.  It's actually a x28 (I typed 29 because I'm trying to work, help kids with school work and think about this).  Although from the sounds of it, I don't think that's going to change your mind.  It's a Larry allison ventral fin in the front.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2020, 07:19:43 AM »
I think most here just going with their personal experiences but it's hard to really guess where you're going with this say 6 months from now.
There are 2 ways I'm looking at it. Either take it as is no personal interpretation in which case I'd say the Bark expedition since it's the type of board you
can wonder around aimlessly with no care for speed, form or kids beating the shit out of it ;D and if you really want to go fast, you're going on your surfski anyway.

But if you think you'd have more serious intentions on the sup, you'll outgrow any 28" wide board rather quickly and you'll be back here getting many helpful opinions, again ;D
in progress...

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2020, 07:42:06 AM »
Addressing the Whiplash statement above I want to say this is not just a flat water board. I live on large lake that can get 4-5 foot downwind conditions and it is great in these conditions as well. I am on a 2018 14 by 25 dugout Whiplash.

Have a self built Clearwater 23 inch race board and that is my flat water board and the whiplash I use when conditions may get crazy or unpredictable or there Is a lot of boat wake. I have used it in 30-50km downwinders with no issue. It does require moving on the board but it can keep up with just about anything that is not completely downwind specific.

The primary stability of the whiplash is incredible and the secondary is like hitting a barrier wall.

SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2020, 12:59:31 PM »

I want to share some love for the Bark Expedition. Yes I did sell mine for newer shinier boards, but always kind of regretted doing so. 

Its not so much an anachronistic design, but a unique design...nothing else much like it. 

Ideally you could give it a go before dismissing it. 

https://normhann.com/2010/10/the-14-surftech-joe-bark-expedition-board-review/
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2020, 05:27:39 AM »
Well the bark guy won't return a text or email so I have to rule him out.

Ok come hell or high water I'm getting a board tomorrow so I'm not going to be one of those guys who asks a thousand question and then is like "maybe I'll wait".

However I will throw one more contender in the ring.  For the same round about price, I found a 14 x 27.25 SIC bullet.  Nice part is, it's only about 1.5 hrs from me instead of 3.  Any thoughts on this as an all around board, stability, speed, tracking?

Also, I will post a pick of the new ride once I get it home so we can put this one to bed officially!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2020, 06:03:53 AM »
Well the bark guy won't return a text or email so I have to rule him out.

Ok come hell or high water I'm getting a board tomorrow so I'm not going to be one of those guys who asks a thousand question and then is like "maybe I'll wait".

However I will throw one more contender in the ring.  For the same round about price, I found a 14 x 27.25 SIC bullet.  Nice part is, it's only about 1.5 hrs from me instead of 3.  Any thoughts on this as an all around board, stability, speed, tracking?

Also, I will post a pick of the new ride once I get it home so we can put this one to bed officially!

It's a fine all-round board. You can do anything on it. I took one from the demo booth few years back and played around with it. while I was on the water I saw there was a race about to commence so I joined the lineup. 2miles, finished 3rd. at that time, my own board was an 12.6x32 inflatable. Few months later I rented one for a 20 miles race. Wind forecast was 14mph for the day so I thought it would be my first downwinder only to realize the the first 9 mile would be up against head and cross wind. So the board can paddle and with the right fin track well too. Good built too. is it a v1 or v2?
in progress...

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2020, 06:47:48 AM »
Its a V2.  It's on the Mullet.  He wants $1000 so its in line with what I was looking at.  Got a buddy around here who paddles a 26 inch version.  He said he paddle a javelin once and found it more twitchy that his SIC.

No idea why but I keep looking back to the Whiplash.  Board is pristine and just looks really cool.  Not the best buying strategy but I haven't always made the best decisions !

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2020, 07:40:43 AM »
Its a V2.  It's on the Mullet.  He wants $1000 so its in line with what I was looking at.  Got a buddy around here who paddles a 26 inch version.  He said he paddle a javelin once and found it more twitchy that his SIC.

No idea why but I keep looking back to the Whiplash.  Board is pristine and just looks really cool.  Not the best buying strategy but I haven't always made the best decisions !

V2 good. I'm unaware of any 26" version of this board unless it's a hollow custom v3 direct from Maui and if that's the case maybe convince your buddy to sell you his board. Tell him it's worth nothing because is empty inside ;D

in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal