Author Topic: WTB decent 14ft all around  (Read 7136 times)

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
WTB decent 14ft all around
« on: March 04, 2020, 05:53:30 AM »
Hey everyone.  Since I started surfsking and OC1, I don't SUP nearly as much as I used to so I sold my Allstar and haven't paddled SUP for about 1 1/2 years.  I think I'd like to get one again for fitness and just relaxing paddles around the lake.

I'm in midstate PA but can drive a little ways for the right board.  Looking for a 14 by at least 28.  My old Naish Glide was great and I never should have gotten rid of it.

Anyone with a board for under $900 max let me know.  Thanks

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: WTB decent 14ft all around
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 07:57:27 AM »
Hey I'm a local dealer EXTREME WINDSURFING
My warehouse is in Allentown PA
My Shop is on the water in Atlantic City Nj

I think we can come close to $900

Give me a call
Warehouse 484 515 5758 (after 3pm)
Shop 609 641 4445
Website www.extremewindsurfing.com (more details)

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 09:59:25 AM »
Thought I would this a bump for anyone cleaning house.  Does have to be perfect by any stretch, just under $1000.  I saw a Naish Glide and older Bark Dominator which look pretty good however they are at least 6 hrs away each.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 12:05:49 PM »
Really, those are both not all that much fun. I had both of those and gave away both. The dominator was fine on the flats, but sucked at everything else. The Glide was fantastic on short period bumps but sucked at everything else. I don't really like 14's anyway, but based on simple popularity in Hood River, which has to be the highest rate of 14' board ownership per capita on planet earth, I'd say look for an SIC bullet. I saw three of the black and white ones on roofs of cars on my five minute drive to my shop this morning--and you can't even get on the river.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 12:31:15 PM »
^ I still rate the V3 Naish Glide as one of the most, if not the most versatile and comfortable boards that I have owned. I used it for everything and loved it. The main problem was the weight and some durability issues, but it was a very versatile cruiser. The Glide wasn’t just good for DW but also excellent in side chop, quartering and just sloppy, choppy conditions. On the flat it wasn’t quick but also not horrible compared to full on DW boards with more rocker.

If I ever come across the V3 Glide in carbon, I would buy it without hesitation and I would probably buy the Glide in GTW too. Outstanding touring board.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 01:16:10 PM »
I probably should have made it clear that I was talking about the V1, which was effectively a 10' board with four feet of nose sticking up out of the water, It fit nicely into short period swell, and that's about it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 03:34:13 PM »
Kwolfe - You might try PaddleMonster classifieds. They seemed to be east coast centric.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 05:13:21 PM »
yeah, I check paddlemonster every morning.  The previous glide I have was the V2.  I only SUP flat water so downwinding for me doesn't make a difference.  If the wind is blowing on our larger lake, I reach for a ski or OC1 since I need to paddle up wind 5 miles to have fun downwind (kind of).

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 05:44:04 PM »
Kwolfe- heres an option.  good drive for you- but traffic is light these days :)

https://longisland.craigslist.org/spo/d/point-lookout-14-joe-bark-expedition/7105081397.html

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 08:03:21 AM »
Bingo!  That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.  I shot the person a text.  It's a bit of a poke from me but who knows, maybe they wouldn't mind meeting somewhere closer to me.

Thanks for the heads up.

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 12:50:41 PM »
Not to open a can of worms here but I found two boards.  One is a 14x26 whiplash (think 2017) with allison quad fin set up.  The other in a Naish glide (probably same year) which is a 14x28.

My old starboard was a 26 and while not unstable, I definitely was looking for some a little more relaxing but tracks well.  The two board above are about $200 apart (whiplash being cheaper) and about the same drive.

Any thoughts on stability comparison and anything else I don't know.  I would assume the Glide would be a fair amount more stable at 28", although I read that quad fin set up is great for tacking and some extra stability.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 03:29:31 PM »
Not to open a can of worms here but I found two boards.  One is a 14x26 whiplash (think 2017) with allison quad fin set up.  The other in a Naish glide (probably same year) which is a 14x28.

My old starboard was a 26 and while not unstable, I definitely was looking for some a little more relaxing but tracks well.  The two board above are about $200 apart (whiplash being cheaper) and about the same drive.

Any thoughts on stability comparison and anything else I don't know.  I would assume the Glide would be a fair amount more stable at 28", although I read that quad fin set up is great for tacking and some extra stability.

With the correct fin setup the Allison 4Drive setup can make-up for the extra 2 inches and my have an advantage in certain conditions such as nasty boat wakes and cross/quartering winds. That said, if you're not one to
venture out in these conditions, it may prove irrelevant and an extra step, unless the board already comes equipped with the fins. I like to have options, that's why I have 3 of my boards with this setup.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 04:00:42 PM »
Only flatwater, I would go for teh Whiplash. Ocean I would go for the Glide.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 05:13:27 PM »
Yeah, the whip already has the 4drive installed on it and comes with a bag.  I paddle lakes only.  Boat wakes are really the only thing I ever deal with.  In order to do any sort of half ass downwind around here you have to paddle upwind and come back.  If I'm doing that into 20mph, I'm reaching for my surfski or OC1.

The board is really to take out on the days when I'm done 5 miles with the ski or OC, I can take this out and paddle another 3-5 and relax and enjoy the scenery.  And have my kids use it.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 05:54:15 PM »
In that case the Whip Sounds like the ticket imo. A little more versatile for these conditions and for the days you want to hammer it and feel like you're going fast.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal