Author Topic: A few comparisons between the old, well known foils and new AXIS stuff??  (Read 2052 times)

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey crew...been lurking here a LONG time and have sent PM to several of the most prolific posters...very thankful for their patient and well thought replies...but Im left still with some doubts and HOPING that one of you can help to clear these up.

Been kiting 20 years, second decade of that mostly dedicated to wave riding... and foiling all the light wind stuff for 4 years. The past 15 months almost exclusively using the Sshot Infinity 76 foil...1500 sq cm with 10mt and smaller kites in waves/swell.

Wondering WHICH of the Axis foils would MOST replace the FEEL, pump, glide, carves of the i76 and maybe give a bit more top end as well? Would that be the 900? the 1000? I KNOW AXIS has some dedicated kitefoils...but really not interested in going super fast nor pointing as high as possible. I want pump and carve and delicious transitions...I want the deep pow pow snowboard experience while in crystal blue waters.

Have been monitoring the development of the 660 "gullwing" foil...which Adrian Roper says is his favorite for kiting. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY APPROXIMATE IDEA WHEN  THE 770 and 880 "big brothers" to the 660 will go into production? Any rumors on the approximate Sq CM sizes of those wings? WOuld either of them be more similar in performance to the i76 for kiting or WINGDING use?

Have begun to WINDWING and almost 100% convinced that an Axis Ssurf with 75 cm mast, ultrashort fuse and 1010 front wing will be the ideal setup for our sub 20 knot winds, a 6mt SWING and my 90 kilos. However, I was hoping to also have a smaller, more carvy FOIL from AXIS which perhaps I could use on a powered WINGDING day and also that would be an upgrade for my old i76 for kiting. Would the 880 eventually, perhaps, fit the bill in that regard? Although I do love my old i76 I feel its time to evolve and of course Id like to be able to have everything on the Ultrashort Axis fuse platform and be able to start to sell off some of the older foiling gear to make money to buy the new stuff.

Thank you very much to ALL of you who have helped so many of us "lurkers" to make more educated decisions as we get stoked on this new niche of our wind addictions! Special thanx to the ADMIN and DW and Bill who post videos and fotos. This moment in time reminds me so much of when i was scouring the internet looking for info on KITING back in 2000 as i prepared to buy some used gear and see if it could ever replace my beloved windsuring as a new, lighter wind, "not so condition specific" sport. What a GREAT adventure THAT has been for 20 years now and looking forward to FOILING sports taking me into my golden years healthy and happy and forever stoked.

Cheers to all and...

Good winds,

KYROJOE in Mexico

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
None will be like the i76. If you try a lot of foils, you learn all foils ride different.

The 900 with a kite has so much glide and speed, the foil outruns the kite. My buddy tired his just yesterday, it was funny. Kite kept ending up behind him during tricks. He thought it was funny too. Too much winging, no kiting, made him rusty with the kite.

Another buddy just got the 660, but I haven’t talked to him. He wanted a bigger version, but took the 660 for now.

The 1010 is a hell no for me. Surfs like shit. But I think all flat wings surf like shit. It sounds like you’re as fussy as me about what you want a foil to surf like. 1010 is for when you only care about pumping back out and pumping downwind. It can’t be beat for pump glide.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 03:47:53 AM by Dwight (DW) »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Like DW said some are better for surf, others for pumping. Foils are getting more spot and sport specific. Wing, sup, prone, pump, big wave, little wave, tow in. It all really depends what you're looking to do. Good thing is Axis offers foils for all disciplines. I ride several set ups and wings depending on what I'm doing that day. Changing a fuselage length or rear wing can make all the difference.
As far as just low end only on the 1010, I ride that thing into squalls. Just drop wing size. My thing I tell guys getting into wing, once you find the foil you like, just switch up wind wing size. If you're going to kite, then get the 660, anything over 1250 is sort of redundant on a kite. It's a rarity to see a kite foiler that rides waves go back to a kite after learning the wing tho. I know I have dust on my kites. I've also tried the 900 on my kite, total fail. Way too much glide.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal