Author Topic: Foot strap position for winging  (Read 8252 times)

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Foot strap position for winging
« on: February 27, 2020, 10:57:38 PM »
I have a Jimmy Lewis 5'11 Flying V , the footstap position is ok for foiling with a paddle but not for winging.
I am goofy but and I have my front feet in the footstrap all the time when I am using a paddle, but when I am winging I switch my feet and I have to ride without straps.

I could go for footstrap inserts on the centerline of the board , ok for the back straps but perhaps it would be better to have two foot straps in front in a V formation?? And what angle should the V be?

Or will that put my feet too much on the heelside of the board?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:09:00 PM by soepkip »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Foot strap position for winging
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 11:46:09 PM »
Hi Soekip,

Do you know how you like your front foot in relation to the centerline?  My front foot feels most natural with the ball on the centerline.  For me with angled straps that pretty well means doubling up the footstraps at the centerline on a single screw.  I did see that axis, camet, etc have a V strap but I haven't checked them out.  That angle looks good to me.  I went too low angle on my first try and my toes hit the other strap :).

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:48:13 PM by Admin »

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 12:03:30 AM »
Thanks, I think of having a V-setup with a a little bit less than 90 degrees, about 80 , that should be ok i think...

I have seen the Axis v-straps and will order them..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:11:34 AM by soepkip »

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 01:36:31 AM »
Try this setup first
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 11:22:22 PM »
Try this setup first

Didn't think of that, aren't your feet too much on the heelside of the board?
And what did you do with the back strap?

But I am having a custom build so I can have it the way I want...

I think I will have the back footstrap inserts on the center line of the board and the front in a V-setup.
I am also going to use the board with a paddle , untill now I only use a front footstrap for supping but am planning to try using a back footstrap as well.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 11:08:25 AM »
I'm currently surfing and winging without footstraps and I think that's a mistake. I fiddle around constantly trying to get my feet in the right position, and when I take off I frequently wheelie. I've become good at getting that under control, but it's a clear foot and body position fault.

I talked with Robbie about this, he rides switchfoot and has his straps in a V configuration like Admins, though he's not doubling up on the mount. I'm going to use NSI stick-on inserts for the center. My new Flying Dutchman board doesn't have a lot of inserts.

I also plan to learn to go heelside/toeside. One more arrow in the quiver. I think, based on my current learning curve, that by the time I get switchfoot jibes down pat I'll be about 120.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 09:04:40 AM »
Hello,
i use to ride the Fanatic Sky Sup model which has a single foot strap in the front so your front foot is exactly in the center on the board. Now i see that more and more boards (and also the new 2020 Fanatic model) has the V straps which means that the front foot is not in the center of the board anymore. i never tried it but doesn't give you less stability if the foot is not in the center of the board? or it's the same, you just have to get used?
thanks

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 09:21:47 AM »
I find both my front and rear feet are well off center and not on the center line while winging.  I am goofy foot and when on foil, my right front foot is inches to the right of center while my back left foot is inches left of center with my heel on center.  I just attached the JL Flying V foot straps like gZasinets did and am waiting for enough wind to give them a try.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 08:05:59 PM »
I find I need to get my feet as close to the centerline as I can. You can cheat your foot position away from the centerline when you're going upwind, but as soon as you turn downwind or pick up a wave and surf you'll find your feet are in the wrong position and the board tips (rolls).  I also find I can reach almost as close as I can with a harness if my feet are on the centerline, and when the wind is gusty the gust don't steer the board as they will with your weight on the upwind rail.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 02:56:53 AM »
So Pono  what straps setup do you use? Thanks

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 05:39:23 AM »
Hello,
i use to ride the Fanatic Sky Sup model which has a single foot strap in the front so your front foot is exactly in the center on the board. Now i see that more and more boards (and also the new 2020 Fanatic model) has the V straps which means that the front foot is not in the center of the board anymore. i never tried it but doesn't give you less stability if the foot is not in the center of the board? or it's the same, you just have to get used?
thanks

Hi Winged.  Was your front foot actually centered on your old board?  It depends on how loose your strap is (how far you are inserting your foot) but for me I need to be in to the ankle (way deep) in a centered strap to have my foot centered on the board.  If you just have your forefoot in then that foot is probably off to heelside even with a centered strap.  That is why you see a lot of riders offsetting a straight strap towards the far rail (or centering a single angled strap) to get a centered or more centered foot.  Even so, the majority of riders are riding with a front foot to heelside and a back foot more to toeside.  That allows you to keep your weight centered when you bend your knees (which is really the goal).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:07:39 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 08:55:07 AM »
I'm using double straps in front with the back screw combined on the centerline. I leave the straps fairly loose so I can minimize the heelside bias in front. I'm currently not using a rear strap. I'm transitioning from no straps, so I'm taking one step at a time.

I agree with Admin that you can still get your weight centered if you have a little offset towards the rail, but every move you make upsets the board a bit. Centering your weight is just a little more automatic if your feet are centered. I'm still stepping back to turn or pump. I don't know if that's good or bad, but since it's kind of automatic for me I need to be in a position that enables movement.

Like admin, I want to have at least the ball of my foot on the centerline, though when I'm trying to jibe I do best with the arch of my foot over the centerline so I wiggle into that position when I don't use straps or just stuff my foot forwards with straps. If I don't do that I find when I move my back foot forward the board stops turning into the jibe even if I feel like I'm committing to the turn.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:02:05 AM by PonoBill »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022, 10:25:43 AM »
This is an older thread but we just posted a video on how we like our footstraps and you will notice that Derek's is quite different from the setup Eli and Robert use:

https://youtu.be/w6ej0IeVcq8
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal