Author Topic: Used Foil Board???  (Read 5759 times)

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Used Foil Board???
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 08:29:26 PM »
Look into the blue planet boards - I got a 6’0” shipped to buffalo n drove down to pickup from Ontario. I know they are having a clear out sale on gear as they are moving locations. There where deals on board and foil packages n shipping to major destinations. If it works for you have it shipped to south of border n drive down to pickup. Mike, Kevin and the rest of the guys are really great at answering any questions you might have. Give them a call

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 08:45:37 PM »
Quickbeam, you mentioned lake and light wind. That should work well for the Outwit.

I believe the Admin has a protected spot to get on the board with lighter winds and where it is not too choppy so again the Outwit worked well.

However, a word of warning for anyone that starts off in a non-protected spot with high winds and extremely choppy water. You need really good wing control to get up in those conditions on the Outwit. Without many hours of successful wing foiling on another board you will not be able to get off your knees.

We started on our Outwits (6'6 and 5'10) and spent a few days on them.  It was June in the Gorge which meant a lot of wind at a lot of different locations.  We were getting pretty pummeled so I borrowed a bigger board from Bill (which was a sidewalk for me) and Chan used the 6'6 Outwit (which was a sidewalk for her).  I bought a 6'11 142 L and spent a week on that.  We then both went back to our Outwits and those were fine at that point.  If you are starting from scratch it is a little tough because you only need your starter board for a very short while but you do need it for rougher water. 

I am confident that Quik will have a great experience on the 6'6 Outwit.  He is 20 lbs lighter than and will be riding light wind on a lake. The Outwit will be very stable for him and it is a terrific board for cruising and easy takeoffs.

Admin, you nailed it earlier in this thread. The used board I’m looking at does require shims for the foil as the foil mount is not level to the deck. The seller of the board volunteered this to me, so good on him for being honest. So I’m not so sure about this board any more.

Which leads me to the Slingshot Outwit. I have a couple of concerns. First of all, I read one review saying that the Outwit does not have a gortex breather valve, but rather has a solid plug instead. This was from a couple of years ago, so I’m wondering if that has changed on the newer versions of the board?

And secondly I am concerned about stability. Although the wind speed would lead you to believe otherwise, our lake does get fairly choppy. And not only choppy water, but also confused water. It’s a small lake and gets a lot of boat traffic, and that really does lead to confused water. And secondly, even without the boat traffic, the wind does create a fair bit of chop on the water. I’m still trying to find someone who can give me an accurate wind speed number, as I’ve been told our wind is between 15 km per hour and 20 km per hour. But when I look at different videos of people wing surfing and they estimate their wind speed to be much greater than that, it just looks to me like the water I’m on has a lot more chop to it. Possibly it’s as simple as videos don’t really show how choppy the water actually is???

Maybe I can give this example. I’ve got a 12’ 6” x 26” One Sup Evo and I’m fine on our lake, in the wind, on this board. It can be difficult paddling into the wind, but I’m pretty stable on the board. I’ve also got the same board in a 12’ 6” x 24”. As far as stability on this board, I’m fine going into the wind or going down wind on my 24”, but if the wind is coming broadside, I’m usually down on my knees. I’ve also got a 12’ 6” x 22” One Sup Edge, and I just don’t take this board out in the wind. But to be fair, it is designed as a flat water board.

So all that said, I am concerned about how stable I will be on the Slingshot. If I do end up with the Slingshot, it will be the 6’ 6” I’d go for. And I don’t mind spending the money, but I am concerned that I end up with something that I won’t be able to learn on.

Really not sure what to do now.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 08:46:44 PM »
Look into the blue planet boards - I got a 6’0” shipped to buffalo n drove down to pickup from Ontario. I know they are having a clear out sale on gear as they are moving locations. There where deals on board and foil packages n shipping to major destinations. If it works for you have it shipped to south of border n drive down to pickup. Mike, Kevin and the rest of the guys are really great at answering any questions you might have. Give them a call

Sorry supmmmm. I didn't see your post before I just put up my last post. I'll take a look and thanks for the suggestion.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 10:45:24 PM »
O.K., don’t know why I didn’t think of this earlier. I got in touch with a sailor friend and thought he might be a good judge of wind speed. He confirmed that normally our wind is in the range of 15 km per hour to 20 km per hour, but added that we get days where it gets substantially higher. So I’m going to count on the average wind being what I originally said, that being somewhere between 15 km per hour to 20 km per hour.

We do however still get confused conditions on our water due to boat traffic.

So a couple of final questions. Once again, does anyone know if the newer Slingshot Outwit boards have the gortex valves, or do they still have the solid plugs that need to be physically released?

And finally, given our wind speed and the fact we can get confused conditions, would the Slingshot still be a good option for me?

Thanks so much guys. Can’t believe how patient you’ve all been with this complete newbie! Really, really appreciate all your help.

Oh, one last thing. On the positive side, I think I’ve found a local distributor for Axis foils. I thought I was going to need to order from the U.S., but it sounds like we have someone local. So once I can get this board sorted, I will also order the Axis foil equipment.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 11:51:12 PM »
Regarding the plug I never touch mine. I believe it is solid but not sure. I don't store my board in the sun, and I don't travel with it on planes nor change elevation. I think the general consensus here is you just keep it tight. Maybe that is wrong, not sure. You can call Slingshot at 1.877.775.4832. I have called a couple times and they are very helpful. They could tell you more about the plug.

Your wind speed is very light and being you are using a small lake I think even with some boats going by your water is still relatively flat. When I said it was choppy I am talking wind speeds double what you mention and in the the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

So I think the Outwit would be a good choice but if you could start on a larger foil SUP it would make things even easier.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 01:06:42 AM »
Admin, you nailed it earlier in this thread. The used board I’m looking at does require shims for the foil as the foil mount is not level to the deck. The seller of the board volunteered this to me, so good on him for being honest. So I’m not so sure about this board any more.

I would not do that.  A few degrees of angle makes a big difference and you cannot eyeball it well. You will be moving your foil around and trying to adjust shimming make no sense.  You want a board that has already worked all of that out for you.  There are enough variables as it is :)

The Outwit 6'6 will be stable to get started on and it will stick with you for a quite a while.  Like Supkailua mentioned, you are still really describing flatwater.  What tends to be a problem is larger chop/swell/current combined with strong winds.  These wings are very polite in the winds that you are talking about.  They will tug at you a lot more when the wind is stronger.  Combine that with wilder water and you want to have a reliable and quick kneestart handy.  I am really confident that you will do great on the 6'6 Outwit.

I stuck the plugs in when we bought our boards and have never taken them out.  Mine stayed baking on top of my car most of the summer and has flown without removal. I am sure that this is not the treatment suggested in the manual, so that is not proper handling advice, just our experience.   These things are really strong. 

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 10:11:51 AM »
I agree with Admin. When I first looked at that board I did not realize the foil would need to be shimmed. I think the Outwit would be a better choice.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 02:28:29 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Thought I should finish this up. First of all, a sincere thanks to all of you who responded. My head was just spinning through all this and I’m not sure I could have waded through it without your help. So again, thank you.

Today I’ve been busy. I now have a new Slingshot Outwit, 6’ 6” on order. And on Friday I go and pick up my new Axis foil kit. I won’t get a Wing for a while yet as I really can’t start using any of this gear until probably sometime in May. I’m also still a bit undecided on which Wing to get and thought I should probably wait and see what some of the 2nd generation Wings look like. Don’t be surprised if you see me back here asking more newbie questions about Wings.

Have to admit I’m kind of nervous right now. While I am a pretty avid paddle boarder, I’ve never surfed, never been on a foil, and never been involved in any kind of wind sport. What the hell am I doing??? But Winging just looks like so much fun. I had to take the plunge. I just hope our lake temperature is pretty warm this summer, because I think I’ll be spending a whole lot more time in the water than on it.

Who knows. By the end of the summer I’ll either be Winging like crazy, or you’ll see a whole bunch of gear for sale in the classifieds.

Thanks again everyone. I really did appreciate all your help.

And finally, I have to give a quick shout out to Jim K at Extreme Windsurfing. He reached out and offered me a great deal on the Slingshot, which I graciously took him up on.

One more final, final shout out. I hate to single anyone out, because I really have appreciated all the responses. But I did want to send out a special thank you to Admin. He has been advocating this sport since almost its’ inception and has certainly pointed me in the right direction. Many thanks.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

MLB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 02:31:19 PM »
WTH? It's GOT a TUTTLE box.
No front back variables there.
Looks like a pretty darn good setup as a learner board for your size.

I'm in the same scenario, inland lake, very light wind. (less than you are stating). But I'm 210lbs.  Decision between the "floater" to make it easy to learn (Slingshot Flyer 280) at 300L or the floatiest "mid" sized board (7-8' 150ish Liter) that I know I'll want very quickly after.  Especially as I plan to foil mostly as we won't have enough wind to get on plane.
 Get a cheap wind meter, $50 or so. REAL eye opener!  Even in Hawaii I was stunned at how much less the wind speed was versus our perception.
You can look up your lake and get historical wind measures with avg high speeds, etc.   In northern Indiana the MAX speed from May-Sept is 12mph on average.  High of 18mph for the year, that in Oct.  LOL  Pitifully slow.  Lookign at windsurf to get bigger sail versus wing and ordering the XL NP Glide wing that people get up at <10mph , but I may still be behind the jetski or riding pontoon wake more than winging.   :-X

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 12:51:47 AM »

I'm in the same scenario, inland lake, very light wind. (less than you are stating). But I'm 210lbs.  Decision between the "floater" to make it easy to learn (Slingshot Flyer 280) at 300L or the floatiest "mid" sized board (7-8' 150ish Liter) that I know I'll want very quickly after.  Especially as I plan to foil mostly as we won't have enough wind to get on plane.
 Get a cheap wind meter, $50 or so. REAL eye opener!  Even in Hawaii I was stunned at how much less the wind speed was versus our perception.
You can look up your lake and get historical wind measures with avg high speeds, etc.   In northern Indiana the MAX speed from May-Sept is 12mph on average.  High of 18mph for the year, that in Oct.  LOL  Pitifully slow.  Lookign at windsurf to get bigger sail versus wing and ordering the XL NP Glide wing that people get up at <10mph , but I may still be behind the jetski or riding pontoon wake more than winging.   :-X

HI MLB,

It has both Tuttle and track.  Quick will definitely want to be able to adjust his mast position.  Getting that lined up for your foil setup and your weight is important for easy take offs. 

PS:  We lived in Chicago way back when and windsurfed in Indiana quite a bit.  That was frustrating!  I used to skate sail in the parking lots when it wasn't windy enough to get out on our Windsurfing gear.  There were a lot of those days.  Thinking back on it, those would be great wingsurfing days. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:57:26 AM by Admin »

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2020, 01:06:04 AM »
Quick - don't let not having a wing stop you from learning to foil on your new kit. Try get a tow somewhere - boat or wake board cable...

Can sympathise with your nerves - I was there last August, but has been a great decision! Loving it!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 07:45:17 AM »

HI MLB,

It has both Tuttle and track.  Quick will definitely want to be able to adjust his mast position.  Getting that lined up for your foil setup and your weight is important for easy take offs. 

PS:  We lived in Chicago way back when and windsurfed in Indiana quite a bit.  That was frustrating!  I used to skate sail in the parking lots when it wasn't windy enough to get out on our Windsurfing gear.  There were a lot of those days.  Thinking back on it, those would be great wingsurfing days.

O.K., I'm confused. From any of the pictures I've seen, and from what I've read, the Slingshot Outwit only has a track and does not have a Tuttle box???
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 07:47:40 AM »
Quick - don't let not having a wing stop you from learning to foil on your new kit. Try get a tow somewhere - boat or wake board cable...

Can sympathise with your nerves - I was there last August, but has been a great decision! Loving it!

Thanks Solent. Appreciate the encouragement. Getting a tow is a good idea as I know of one outfit that offers foiling lessons behind a boat. Only problem is they don't start operating until sometime in May, by which time I hope to have a Wing. Still might go for a quick lesson though as I think it might be helpful.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 08:23:03 AM »

HI MLB,

O.K., I'm confused. From any of the pictures I've seen, and from what I've read, the Slingshot Outwit only has a track and does not have a Tuttle box???

Hi Quik,

That is correct.  The Outwits have the industry standard two track system.  He was referring to the board in your original post which has both  tracks and Tuttle. 

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2020, 08:31:15 AM »

HI MLB,

Hi Quik,

That is correct.  The Outwits have the industry standard two track system.  He was referring to the board in your original post which has both  tracks and Tuttle.

O.K., got it. That makes sense. Thanks Admin.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM