Author Topic: New 2020 wing by DUOTONE  (Read 35097 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: New 2020 wing by DUOTONE
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2020, 07:47:20 AM »
kook windsurfers put these on the clew of their booms.

Oodles of Noodles Foam Pool Swim Noodles, 52 inch (5 Pack) - multicolored https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FT7SJCY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_-iBIFbARWK8K3

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2020, 07:48:54 AM »
Issues I have with the Duotone Echo:

1) The clew sticks in the water making clearing of the wing difficult when getting started. You kind of just get used to it and involves an extra step/more forethought. It's the price you pay for wanting a wing with a boom.
2) You need to be extra careful with banging the boom on your board. Obviously letting the wing flag out uncontrollably can wreak havoc on your board but also just letting the boom rest on your board can damage it over time.
3) The front flagging handle IMO is too small and narrow. It doesn't allow you to grab it with both hands to switch hands when riding swell/surfing. It also isn't sized appropriately for cold weather riding with gloves.
4) The diameter of the stock boom is too big to ride with thick gloves due to forearm fatigue.

volcano dweller

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2020, 11:10:13 AM »
All wing designs have trade-offs. I have tried many of the handle design wings and simply prefer the boom. Maybe I will prefer even more the prototype Duo previously mentioned if it ever comes to market. That said, I can attest to the durability of the Echo. About a month ago I was out in 6-9' surf in light offshore winds with the 6M Echo. While I was pumping, both the wing and board, back out to catch the next wave, the wind died out and I ran out of gas pumping. I touched down and a few seconds later the wave broke right on top of me. I tried to lift the wing over the waves, but with no wind and the wave size, it wasn't happening. The wing got hammered, but not damaged. However, as you can see by the pictures, the plastic boom head bent and my windsurf uphill leash (which I use as my wing leash) snapped. I easily recovered the wing after the wave as there was no wind and continued to resume foiling. I still use the boom with the bent mast head... no issue. Makes me wonder what amount of wave force hit the wing to cause the boom head to become bent; amazingly, didn't damage the wing itself -- a testament to the construction quality IMO.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2020, 01:31:36 PM »
The booms I've made for myself were water--tight and float. I didn't have the bits I used to do that (perfectly sized corks) for other folks, so the booms are just semi-watertight. It's easy to make them fully watertight (take it apart with a heat gun, add corks, reassemble) and that helps flotation a bit. With any wing other than the 7M there is enough boom sticking out the end to add small diameter "pool noodle" style flotation that will keep the clew end above water. 

The max length of the boom for the 6/7M Duotone is so long (201cm, 82.6") that even a Ke Nalu 100Flex long shaft (170CM,  67") isn't quite long enough. If I were making one for myself I'd just hot glue a piece of 1" carbon tube into the shaft and make it 210cm fixed length with an adjustable outhaul. anyone that wanted adjust-ability would probably be better off using the standard paddle shaft length and adding the $10 "adjustable part" which is a nice solid clamping device made to glue in place on the Ke Nalu shaft and clamp tightly onto a 1" tube.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2020, 05:06:29 PM »
Got around to turning a carbon adjustable paddle shaft into a new boom for a 6m ECHO.  A lot easier than I thought it was going to be.  Tubing size just needed shimming with aluminum tape.  All tubes are sealed so they won’t take on water.  I also added a carved and shaped piece of lightweight firm mini -cell to the end of the boom just inside of the rear cord attachment.  Took it out for a test today.  Boom feels much lighter.  Foam piece does not alter flight at all and I did not have the aggravating problem of the boom end sinking.  I also put rubber tubing over the canopy tension line.  It is very easy to increase tension by just grabbing it along with the boom.  I forget where I saw that but it’s a great idea.  I only spent 20 minutes on it since the wind cranked up to 25 kts and I stepped down to the 4m.  Looking forward to further testing.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2020, 07:14:08 AM »
To Give justice to the new Duotone:  I was out last week in the early morning on my Duotone 5.0 V2.  Gusting to 44 mph. 

THIS WING HANDLES RANGE!

I wanted to surf but it was (too) windy so I brought my wing just in case.  I was happy there was enough wind that I wasn't going to get skunked or likely have to walk home.

Rigged up and went out.  It was an inconsistent 25 to 44 mph.  I only have 10 sessions of winging and I wingsurfed for an hour and never once face planted, overfoiled or crashed hard.

1) I was using a harness
2) I could successfully luff the sail with the harness when overpowered

There was one other guy out named Darren.  He was much better than I was and stayed to the South by the Harbor wall where the wind was constantly strong.  I thought he must have been on a smaller wing but he too was on a 5.0 Ozone.  But he said he had been kite-foiling for 7 years and switched over to wingsurfing in the last year.

Thanks to DW for recommending the HARNESS.  Thanks to Pono for the DaKine Insanity HOOK recommendation.  Just slides out of the way.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 07:15:51 AM by Beasho »

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2020, 02:06:23 PM »
Looking at the other brands my guess is that for 2021 Duotone will use his SLS new lighter and stronger material for their new wings.
What do you think?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal