Author Topic: New 2020 wing by DUOTONE  (Read 35069 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: New 2020 wing by DUOTONE
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2020, 12:30:53 PM »
Nice upgrade DW, I'm sure the lighter weight feels good on light wind days.  I hope Duotone will offer a carbon boom option soon.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2020, 02:01:03 PM »
Nice!  How does the boom diameter with the boom grip compare to the factory. I realize the factory is oval, just trying to get a ball park idea.  Also how much weight we’re you able to shed with the new boom? Did you mention where you sourced to carbon tube from?

Carbon Tube here:

https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/45355

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2020, 02:03:53 PM »
Fantastic "How To" video but man that is a lot of work.

Maybe not for somebody who is used to building boards.  But you have to buy 1 sacrificial boom, 1 Carbon Boom then go at it. . . .

I'm with Robert - I hope they sell a Carbon Boom soon.

PS:  This reminds me of when I try to get people to build a copy of my bike rack from Scratch.  Jeff Clark looks at my rack and says "Yeah you have more cost in that rack (in hours) than the whole electric bike cost you."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 02:05:38 PM by Beasho »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2020, 02:44:54 PM »
Nice!  How does the boom diameter with the boom grip compare to the factory. I realize the factory is oval, just trying to get a ball park idea.  Also how much weight we’re you able to shed with the new boom? Did you mention where you sourced to carbon tube from?

Hum.... should I tell you or make you watch it again  ;D

That’s exactly what my wife would say! No breaks for us Ole senile types........

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2020, 03:00:49 PM »
They are not releasing a fixed length ultra light carbon boom. This I know.

Don’t know if an adjustable carbon is coming, didn’t ask, don’t care. It would be heavier and cost more, for little gain. Fixed is just lighter.

BTW, just made a few more booms. It takes about an hour. Pretty easy and fast once you know how to do it. And now you know how  ;D

It costs $130 for the aluminum, plus $130 for the carbon, plus $21 for boom grip. All in $281.

Have you seen carbon windsurf boom prices. $880...What do you think a Duotone adjustable will cost. $400 minimum is my guess. To save less than half a pound! Hum...

If I stir up enough shit, maybe they will change their minds  ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 03:15:24 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2020, 05:38:18 PM »
Here is an idea:

1) Buy the Carbon Boom
2) Fabricate a head, or figure out some Alternative (save $130), & reduce the tear-down and re-build time
3) Still drive Duo-tone Crazy

PS - The tail piece is nothing special.  Should be easy to just build some alternate cleat mechanism. 

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2020, 10:53:23 PM »
Wow Dwight you are so good!!

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2020, 12:47:42 AM »
Here is an idea:

1) Buy the Carbon Boom
2) Fabricate a head, or figure out some Alternative (save $130), & reduce the tear-down and re-build time
3) Still drive Duo-tone Crazy

PS - The tail piece is nothing special.  Should be easy to just build some alternate cleat mechanism.

I'm with Beasho.  DW, I'm sure you could fabricate a lighter/ stronger/ better boom head using foam and carbon for less than $130.  I would do that if I had the time but I'm too busy wingfoiling, haha.  This sounds like a perfect project for PonoBill!
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2020, 04:04:13 AM »
I actually did build my own boom head last year when the V1 was released. Then I threw it in the trash and used the Duotone head. It looked like crap and was way too much work. I knew I wasn’t going to build 4 boom heads. I’ll just buy them.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2020, 01:20:02 PM »
I actually did build my own boom head last year when the V1 was released. Then I threw it in the trash and used the Duotone head. It looked like crap and was way too much work. I knew I wasn’t going to build 4 boom heads. I’ll just buy them.
That makes sense, just replacing the tube is enough of a project.
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2020, 10:28:03 AM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2020, 09:19:48 PM »
Yeah, I made an aluminum boom head. Took two hours. Not doing that again. Crazy light and very strong, but no.

You guys are making this way too hard. I've made lots of carbon booms for Duotones. It's simple. Drill the rivets out of the Duotone boom and remove the front and rear adapters. Find something to do with aluminum shaft--it makes a nice broom handle. Get a KeNalu paddle shaft--any kind will work, but the Elite 3K 100 is the lightest--they are tapered, 1.250" on the big end, 1" on the small end. The big end fits into the duotone front boom end. It's a little loose, so you wrap a few turns of aluminum tape until the fit is snug. Then hot glue the boom end in place. The small end fits into the small end of the KeNalu shaft with perhaps a few turns of aluminum tape to get a snug fit. Hot glue in place. You now have a carbon boom that is about 68" long (172cm), which is fine for the 5M wing. For the 6 and 7M you'll need an extension piece which you can make from .95" carbon tube. The first 6" of the KeNalu shaft is not tapered on the handle end, which makes the extension fit well. Alternately you can get a 100 Flex Long which is 67". With the boom ends added that's about 70" which is a little short of 201cm (79") of the 7M duotone but probably works for the 6M without an extension.

If you've got an old Ke Nalu paddle sitting around collecting dust, you're in biz. It's hot glued together. Take it apart with a heat gun and you don't need to buy anything.

To make it adjustable you add an outhaul. Either get all fancy and use the racing outhaul that Chinook sells, or just take a piece of spectra line, add a loop where the clew of the wing is so it won't pull away from the boom, and use the bight end to adjust the length as tightly as you like. Yes, you'll have a long tail of carbon sticking out when you use your 2M, but it weighs nothing, makes a good place to stick a GoPro, and won't bother you in any way other than aesthetics.

I've gone through the steps of making a set of extensions to make a carbon boom that fits every Duotone. I won't do it again, it's silly, adds weight, add pieces that get lost or lose their labels. Keep it simple--it's the lightest, strongest, simplest duotone boom. It literally takes less than 15 minutes to make if you have the parts ready to go.

The mandrel formed, tapered KeNalu shaft is much stronger and just as light as straight tube, and has a textured finish from the manufacturing process that gives a good grip without adding heavy grip tape.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:40:47 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2020, 04:45:05 AM »
I have a scrap Kenalu, and looked hard at their shafts last year.

$212 for Kenalu, versus $130 for the one I used, and mine is more durable (thicker wall) and stiffer. I took my time and researched before I jumped in.

The Echo also has a lot of leverage on the boom head. Last years wing did not have any.

The current Echo booms actually have a bow in them from the leverage. The connect needs to be done solid.

I thought about skipping the boom grip, but then windsurfers have been chasing weight for 40 years and they always choose boom grip. A bit like the deck pad debate on boards.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 05:02:55 AM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2020, 08:48:14 AM »
xTuf(s) is $147 if the cost means that much. The Uni carbon would actually make a better boom, though it gets weakened more by scratches and dings. The primary benefits of using a paddle shaft is taper and where they are reinforced. Unless the KeNalu shafts have changed considerably (I don't think so) they are reinforced at the big end with extra wraps of carbon for about 6 inches and on the small end the taper ends 6 inches from the end. That's to make the handle fit well even if you shorten the shaft, but it serves a secondary benefit of making any extension stronger with better contact area. If I were manufacturing a carbon boom I might make the shaft thicker, but this is a fairly ideal part for adapting. I bought a lot of carbon tubing, played around with it, and settled on simple.

The primary leverage on the boom is from the rider. The echo boom stresses the boom in the opposite direction of the rider weight. If anything, this is an advantage--essentially supporting the boom in the middle against rider weight. The primary force on the big end boom adapter is compression. I tested the first boom I made with a static force of 250 pounds in the middle with the ends supported. It's possible that the dynamic loads could be more, but none of the booms I've made have broken or had noticeable deflection under load.

I did check the deflection of one boom end that I modified by doing some swiss cheese holes anywhere that I thought it had material that wasn't doing much. Ken Winner contacted me and said I was making a mistake doing that because the boom end takes a lot of compressive load. He was right, of course, the boom end was distorting a bit but it wasn't anything I could feel in actual use, and that boom is still in service getting pounded in Maui by Art Wible.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2020, 01:25:50 PM »
I know that the discussion internally is that the Carbon booms have to be strong enough to handle a 7m with a heavier guy riding in strong wind conditions. By the time you make it strong enough, the weight will be the same as the current aluminum boom and the time and money spent may be a wash, worst case is you break it then it hurts you or punctures to wing!  If you love DIY go for it otherwise buy the boom which is very reasonable price and spend your time out there riding or chasing the wind or talking story on the beach (with your mask on please).  The Echo has so much leech pressure that DIY boom making will have to be significantly strong than for the V1 foil wing.  Some people have questioned the huge amount of leech pressure but that is what gives the Echo the awesome bottom end power (I got this info straight from Ken Winner btw).   8)
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal