Author Topic: New 2020 wing by DUOTONE  (Read 35075 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: New 2020 wing by DUOTONE
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2020, 11:09:02 AM »
I hear rumor that there will be a carbon boom offered at some point. What I’d really like to do as a project is make small carbon fixed boom with front end adapter, and then have fixed extensions for larger wing sizes. The only reason for that would be air travel which won’t be happening soon,.....and to have that make more sense I’d guess I’d need to see where these inflatable boards are headed. Mostly wishful thinking.

One of my 3 booms is the old round version. Everything fits the same including the wing tension line. My custom GoPro Max extension piece only fits the old boom   :P

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2020, 07:30:19 AM »
Great little review OBXDave! 
I agree with you on many points here and should only add that I am sure they didn't want to increase the price even more which they would have had to in order to make new boom end tools which are quite expensive. 

I am loving the new stuff and soon we will have the UNIT which I believe will rival any inflatable center strut wing on the market:)

It’s raining and I’m stuck inside, hence the long post :P

So finally got my 6m, 4m and 3.3m Echo’s. I have about 2 hours of total riding time so far on the 6m. That would also make 2 hours of total riding time on any 6m for me excluding a few minutes trying out a 6m F-One Swing. My only reference point has been the original 4 and 5m Duotones and about 90 minutes on a 5.3m  Nash S25. 

Just as advertised the Echo’s have much stiffer canopy and leach tension over the originals. The funky tension line is easy to deal with and feels invisible while riding (unless my “regrabs” are way off).  It pumps me onto the foil faster, generates lots more speed, screams upwind, and luffs way better than the V1 (I still prefer to  hold the front of the boom rather than the front handle). I consider the performance similar to the 5.3 m Naish S25 I owned for a brief time (discounting the size difference). Other than the standard handles versus boom preference brooha, there is still a bit more dihedral in the Echo than most wings,  though less than the originals. It doesn’t mean diddly for jibing (they all jibe well), but it does make a difference for rolling in a tack. Swinging any lumbering 6m wing over in a tack takes (MORE!) heft compared to those teeny wip-around 4m’s, which I’ve spent 85% of my time riding other than the 5m V1. They just don’t respond as quickly.  I spent a fair amount of time just getting used to this big boy, but eventually got a bit more comfortable with it.  I could actually get the 6m Echo to go over on my first tries, although it did occasionally need some help to roll quickly enough. The F-One and Naish needed  major hand pushing help to roll. Maybe that’s just incompetent me.

The only irritating issue (which I knew going in) is the molded boom end that presses up  to the leading edge has a smaller curvature radius than the inflated  leading edge (for both the short boom on the 4 and the long boom on the 6). So it bites into the leading edge just a bit.  Really Ken? Hey, as long as it doesn’t affect long term durability, no worries. No effect on performance. I won’t call it a real complaint yet, and there are some fixes I can think of.  The oval boom is a nice upgrade. The extra dump valve doesn’t seem to be necessary at all, but it’s there, so be it (unless I’m missing something).

The video is all with the 6m, which was really the challenge test for me.  The first hour session was 12-23 mph and there was overlap to ride both 4m and 6m. Only spent 20 min on the 4 (a bit underpowered) so not much to say yet other than it felt great and should do just fine in it’s sweet spot. Even with enough overlap I completed the full indulgence and have a 5m Echo coming in a few days (something about being at that age of wanting to check out with more toys and less money….).  No interest in the 7m at my 77kg.

If you want an all out luffing wing for surf conditions, or just like the simplicity of handles, by all means stick with the F-One, or the other great handle options. One other minor side note, booms have their minor hassle factor but I hardly notice it. I DO appreciate not having that to add to the inflate/deflate work load. I could inflate/deflate my 10m Airush Ultra faster than that Naish S25....

https://youtu.be/D756yLrYWnY
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2020, 09:19:35 AM »
I hear rumor that there will be a carbon boom offered at some point. What I’d really like to do as a project is make small carbon fixed boom with front end adapter, and then have fixed extensions for larger wing sizes. The only reason for that would be air travel which won’t be happening soon,.....and to have that make more sense I’d guess I’d need to see where these inflatable boards are headed. Mostly wishful thinking.

One of my 3 booms is the old round version. Everything fits the same including the wing tension line. My custom GoPro Max extension piece only fits the old boom   :P

It's easy to make a carbon boom from an existing Duotone boom, and not very expensive. I think I did a post on my methods--I did both adjustable and fixed length versions. The trick is to buy a KeNalu paddle shaft, which has a substantial taper from the blade end to the handle. KeNalu sells all the components of their paddles separately. The blade end fits the boom front with minimal shimming (yes, of course I used aluminum tape and hot glue) and the boom end may or may not require shimming, depending on where you cut the shaft. You drill out the rivets to get the boom ends from the stock shaft and just hot glue them onto the KeNalu shaft. You can even re-use the shaft for your paddle with just a few minutes of heat gun fiddling.

For my adjustable versions, I used straight carbon tubing telescoped inside the KeNalu shaft, cut so that it would fit a 3M wing. Then I made spacers from offcuts of KeNalu shafts to fit the longer sizes.

The last one I made used a full-length KeNalu shaft with a slider made from a short section of PVC pipe. The slider was sized so it could slip forward enough to accommodate the 3M wing. The wing attached directly to a loop on the slider and a line from the boom end to the slider adjusted outhaul. In the shorter sizes, this left a somewhat awkward-looking long tail of carbon boom sticking out, but it would be a great camera mount and doesn't affect wing performance at all. the fixed shaft versions weighed about a third of the standard boom weight.

It helped me that I had quite a collection of offcuts and broken shafts from KeNalu paddles that remain from when I was one of the founders of KeNalu. I sold my interest long ago and my bits and pieces collection is drying up.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:25:49 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2020, 10:01:23 AM »
Oddly enough this popped up on Facebook this morning--looks like it was exactly one year ago that i did this.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2020, 10:10:01 AM »
I think if anyone is willing to buy a boom for each size, then swap out a fixed length carbon tube, it could work quite well without any length adjustment. Particularly when you consider the Echo has the depower/speed bar built in. You do have to slip the tubing over that line. It does not come with the tube.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2020, 11:01:21 AM »
The fixed length with a slider for the outhaul was the version I liked best. It would be easy to do with the new wings. Adding a loop for the power line would be easy since it's in the same place for all the wings.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2020, 11:52:05 AM »
Happy Independence Day!
I just got a bunch of new stuff to play with, these are my first impressions:

https://youtu.be/aly5s5d4YVc
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2020, 12:15:35 AM »
Today's light wind session using the 6M Echo and same gear as in the video above.
https://youtu.be/PprmrIJ-59E
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2020, 02:16:18 AM »
New board looks great Robert.  What are the details on that one? 

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2020, 02:17:25 AM »
Today's light wind session using the 6M Echo and same gear as in the video above.

Looks like the wing luffs really nice just gripping the front handle! I still do a front-boom grip just because I can repower the wing a lot faster. Are you getting more used to not catching the tip on the 6m?  I’ve gotten better at it, but as soon as I go from a few sessions on the 4m back to the 6m, I need 10 min  to “reaclimate”!  Are you using a GoPro 8 or Max on that Tracer mount? I’m surprised it’s not horizon tilt correcting.... 

My legs would burn up in about 10 min if I didn’t switch my stance frequently :P

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2020, 03:59:54 PM »

Looks like the wing luffs really nice just gripping the front handle! I still do a front-boom grip just because I can repower the wing a lot faster. Are you getting more used to not catching the tip on the 6m?  I’ve gotten better at it, but as soon as I go from a few sessions on the 4m back to the 6m, I need 10 min  to “reaclimate”!  Are you using a GoPro 8 or Max on that Tracer mount? I’m surprised it’s not horizon tilt correcting.... 

My legs would burn up in about 10 min if I didn’t switch my stance frequently :P

Thanks.  The tip still catches but I have learned to deal with it, I wish it had a bit less wingspan.  I used a Hero 7 which does not correct the horizon.  I have a gopro max coming soon so future videos should not have this issue.  My back foot is pretty far back so my weight is equally balanced over the foil, that way my back leg does not have to work harder than the front leg, my stance is pretty straight and relaxed when I'm foiling so it's not an issue.
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2020, 04:03:12 PM »
New board looks great Robert.  What are the details on that one?
It's a prototype 5'4 x 25 x 4.3",  around 95L if I remember correctly.

Now that I'm getting better, I usually lift off the water at sub-planing speeds, so I find that all the hard edges found on many boards are not necessary on a wing foil board, it's more about being able to pump up onto the foil at low speeds and the board releasing easily, not sticking to the water.   The extra rocker and rounded rails work great for increasing the angle of attack and releasing off the water smoothly.  In my experience boards with concaves and hard rails seem to create suction and need more speed to lift off the water and are also not as forgiving when touching down at high speeds, especially in the nose of the board.

For more details on the shape:
https://youtu.be/aly5s5d4YVc?t=398

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:18:01 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2020, 07:16:26 AM »
https://youtu.be/ZFQOdLsuWUk

https://youtu.be/rVtV5QZPEIk

https://youtu.be/JPhfljwUfKA

The boom stiffness with this upgrade.....stiffer than the old boom. Stiffer than the new boom in the short body. A hair less stiff than the new boom in the long body.

Dealers should be screaming for this upgrade from the factory  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 07:25:32 AM by Dwight (DW) »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2020, 11:53:26 AM »
Nice!  How does the boom diameter with the boom grip compare to the factory. I realize the factory is oval, just trying to get a ball park idea.  Also how much weight we’re you able to shed with the new boom? Did you mention where you sourced to carbon tube from?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2020, 12:30:03 PM »
Nice!  How does the boom diameter with the boom grip compare to the factory. I realize the factory is oval, just trying to get a ball park idea.  Also how much weight we’re you able to shed with the new boom? Did you mention where you sourced to carbon tube from?

Hum.... should I tell you or make you watch it again  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal