Author Topic: New 2020 wing by DUOTONE  (Read 35064 times)

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: New 2020 wing by DUOTONE
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2020, 03:33:42 PM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2020, 07:20:32 PM »
I like the looks of that a lot. I'll probably get a 7 when they are available. It looks like the stability issue that bothered me about the larger sizes has been solved. Love the boom.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2020, 05:52:33 PM »
The Echo in action -- another great Alan Cadiz video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NBpREEC6l0

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2020, 12:03:09 PM »
It’s raining and I’m stuck inside, hence the long post :P

So finally got my 6m, 4m and 3.3m Echo’s. I have about 2 hours of total riding time so far on the 6m. That would also make 2 hours of total riding time on any 6m for me excluding a few minutes trying out a 6m F-One Swing. My only reference point has been the original 4 and 5m Duotones and about 90 minutes on a 5.3m  Nash S25. 

Just as advertised the Echo’s have much stiffer canopy and leach tension over the originals. The funky tension line is easy to deal with and feels invisible while riding (unless my “regrabs” are way off).  It pumps me onto the foil faster, generates lots more speed, screams upwind, and luffs way better than the V1 (I still prefer to  hold the front of the boom rather than the front handle). I consider the performance similar to the 5.3 m Naish S25 I owned for a brief time (discounting the size difference). Other than the standard handles versus boom preference brooha, there is still a bit more dihedral in the Echo than most wings,  though less than the originals. It doesn’t mean diddly for jibing (they all jibe well), but it does make a difference for rolling in a tack. Swinging any lumbering 6m wing over in a tack takes (MORE!) heft compared to those teeny wip-around 4m’s, which I’ve spent 85% of my time riding other than the 5m V1. They just don’t respond as quickly.  I spent a fair amount of time just getting used to this big boy, but eventually got a bit more comfortable with it.  I could actually get the 6m Echo to go over on my first tries, although it did occasionally need some help to roll quickly enough. The F-One and Naish needed  major hand pushing help to roll. Maybe that’s just incompetent me.

The only irritating issue (which I knew going in) is the molded boom end that presses up  to the leading edge has a smaller curvature radius than the inflated  leading edge (for both the short boom on the 4 and the long boom on the 6). So it bites into the leading edge just a bit.  Really Ken? Hey, as long as it doesn’t affect long term durability, no worries. No effect on performance. I won’t call it a real complaint yet, and there are some fixes I can think of.  The oval boom is a nice upgrade. The extra dump valve doesn’t seem to be necessary at all, but it’s there, so be it (unless I’m missing something).

The video is all with the 6m, which was really the challenge test for me.  The first hour session was 12-23 mph and there was overlap to ride both 4m and 6m. Only spent 20 min on the 4 (a bit underpowered) so not much to say yet other than it felt great and should do just fine in it’s sweet spot. Even with enough overlap I completed the full indulgence and have a 5m Echo coming in a few days (something about being at that age of wanting to check out with more toys and less money….).  No interest in the 7m at my 77kg.

If you want an all out luffing wing for surf conditions, or just like the simplicity of handles, by all means stick with the F-One, or the other great handle options. One other minor side note, booms have their minor hassle factor but I hardly notice it. I DO appreciate not having that to add to the inflate/deflate work load. I could inflate/deflate my 10m Airush Ultra faster than that Naish S25....

https://youtu.be/D756yLrYWnY

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2020, 01:35:07 PM »
As far as i know Ken Winner is someone very attentive to details, so the end of the boom biting the leading edge deforming it cannot be a mistake. In fact someone told me it is designed not to let the boom move and that’s exactly what i noticed compared the first generation: the boom does not move at all!
That’s my personal opinion and experience.

Lazz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2020, 02:48:03 PM »
It is the "one fits for all" politic of the plastic boom end, used for different Leading Edge Diameters with  prehaps accepted disadvantages. Furthermore I think the Designers never expected to have to make a 6 or 7 m2 wing. ;)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2020, 04:57:50 PM »
If the extra dump valve is near the wing tip, then it’s a carry over from the kites. Some people like to open the tip valve, then roll the kite up from wing tip to wing tip. Not wing tip to center.

Wing tip to center, causes other side to unroll.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2020, 12:11:23 AM »
As far as i know Ken Winner is someone very attentive to details, so the end of the boom biting the leading edge deforming it cannot be a mistake. In fact someone told me it is designed not to let the boom move and that’s exactly what i noticed compared the first generation: the boom does not move at all!
That’s my personal opinion and experience.

It certainly does lock the boom in even more, and that would make perfect sense, assuming no effect on long term durability. Might have helped if they just mentioned it somewhere in the promo effort if that was in fact the design goal. The radius is a perfect match on the original wings and all I needed to do to keep boom “tight” over time was retie the knots on the boom adaptor retaining lines sewn into the leading edge

It is the "one fits for all" politic of the plastic boom end, used for different Leading Edge Diameters with  prehaps accepted disadvantages. Furthermore I think the Designers never expected to have to make a 6 or 7 m2 wing. ;)
True. Just surprised that it occurred with the small boom on the 4m as well. Maybe it was an intentional design change as Winged Surfer mentioned. I’m sure Ken understands leading edge durability a 1000 times better than me!

If the extra dump valve is near the wing tip, then it’s a carry over from the kites. Some people like to open the tip valve, then roll the kite up from wing tip to wing tip. Not wing tip to center.

Wing tip to center, causes other side to unroll.
Its actually near the boom location so no real benefit to one way roll up. Again, maybe I’m missing something and it serves another purpose. No biggie, it’s a simple valve and I just leave it closed.

If I find some time I think it would be fun to build up some single piece carbon booms either reusing the current molded ends (I think Ponobill did that) or modifying them,...even though the stock booms work just fine. A way to tinker :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 12:16:36 AM by obxDave »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2020, 05:02:09 AM »
Here is the Duotone we’ve been waiting for

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBpPgpRjYCp/?igshid=1ebvaznfz8eok

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2020, 06:46:08 AM »

That looks great.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2020, 09:38:59 AM »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBpPgpRjYCp/?igshid=1ebvaznfz8eok

Good luck keeping skin on your knuckles with that. I’d also jam my fingers just about every time trying to do a quick regrab.  Maybe another 3-5” on the gap and I think it would work

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2020, 02:06:54 AM »
So I officially have some riding time on the 5 and 4m Echo in addition to the 6m. Same great performance improvements. Nice size overlap without being too close. You could easily do a 7/5 or 6/4 combo.  The 6/5/4/3.3 with 3 booms was a total splurge for me.

I really like the idea of just rigging 2 wings for most sessions since our wind is usually all over the place.  Just grab the one that works best and go. Maybe a sandbag and UV cover to use with the spare.

All the sizes have this leading edge squeeze caused by the boom front end adapter. Not as bad with the 4m. I’ve already gotten used to it and figure it’ll be a non-issue. We’ll see

https://youtu.be/sf2rrPIDJtE

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2020, 06:03:31 AM »
Hey Dave, will the original Duotone booms work with the new Echo wings or do you have to buy the new booms too?
Are the new booms shorter thus make it easier to pack ?

Thanks
Don
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2020, 06:38:46 AM »
Hey Dave, will the original Duotone booms work with the new Echo wings or do you have to buy the new booms too?

Thanks
Don

The old boom does fit. Pack up is smaller for the wing. Smaller bag, shorter battens. Boom you still treat like your SUP paddles. Just throw in the car separately.

Lazz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2020, 07:38:59 AM »

Thanks
Don

Only the 6&7 m2 Echo needs the new 2020 longer boom (141-201 cm).
The shorter one (115-175 cm) fits on all DT Wings 5/4/3.3/3.0 etc.  m2.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:46:10 AM by Lazz »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal