Author Topic: Couple Offshore Runners  (Read 2039 times)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Couple Offshore Runners
« on: February 24, 2020, 03:13:03 AM »
This spot is just over a mile out (1.7km) from the put in. Has to be light wind, but when it goes, it goes. This day, we knew there was a front coming, and it was still way to shallow to surf an inside break, so we decided to grab a few on the outer reef, and when the wind switched and turned on, paddle in to an inside break. Tide coming up, it was just starting to get a little too deep for the size, and fatten up.

On a headland, the wave comes out of really deep water, jacks up really quick, and will grow much bigger after you commit and start to drop. Challenging to get into the best take off spot, and the couple of POV's I recorded were taken more from the shoulder. Just overhead this day, but it will hold much, much bigger, and turns into a hollow slab akin to many famous drop-barrel-into a deep channel waves. Water is always crystal clear, lots of current on the outside, and lots of big fish. The one and only time I've seen a Great White Shark (3 meters) was less than a kilometer from here. One of the spots I used to take my sea kayak to when I left the lineup, and started surfing by myself. SUP makes it much more enjoyable, and you will never find another surfer here unless you bring them ;-)

I've decided to mostly stick to 60 second clips on Instagram. With my poor recording and editing skills and short attention spans, it feels like the right thing for now  :D

Thanks for watching!  Blue Planet All Good 8'8"x32"x120L. Quad with Futures GL2 forward fins, and Futures QD2 3.75 rears.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B88dGHdHYgX/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Couple Offshore Runners
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 04:12:37 AM »
I like those types of waves. I don't do any fancy cutback moves back towards the top of the wave. Once I catch a wave like that, I just "ride it leisurely to the beach" so to speak because for me, "the glide is the ride".

As always, thanks for sharing your videos.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 07:07:30 PM »
I like those types of waves. I don't do any fancy cutback moves back towards the top of the wave. Once I catch a wave like that, I just "ride it leisurely to the beach" so to speak because for me, "the glide is the ride".

As always, thanks for sharing your videos.

Nothing wrong with that! The glide IS the ride. Some of my best days are on a race board just gliding for hundreds of meters.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 08:14:56 PM »
Very nice... probably no place you’d rather be...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:29:59 AM »
Super nice.  Thanks for the stoke.  You are having a blast there on the bowler. Just the two of you.
A bit jealous.  Winter here means crowds as the surfable spots become few.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 11:09:35 AM »
Nice and glassy!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal