Author Topic: Wing Size???  (Read 8627 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wing Size???
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 06:41:30 AM »
I agree the larger wing gets you up and foiling much faster with less frustration.  Same goes for the foil..larger gets you up and riding sooner. 

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 12:17:41 PM »
The whole industry did a terrible disservice to middle America putting out 4m wings only, when most of the country needs 5 and 6 meters.
I agree the larger wing gets you up and foiling much faster with less frustration.  Same goes for the foil..larger gets you up and riding sooner.

I fully agree, big foil and kite wing get you up sooner. Sup foiling is another level of hardship  :)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 12:23:53 PM »
I agree with everything you are saying other than the weight of the big wing.

I find the big wing a pleasure to foil with. It is light as a feather when the wind is in it, and even when the wind drops where nothing will go, the big wing will get you upwind and back to shore where the small wings won't.

For me the big wing opened up a whole new level of fun in Wing Foiling because of the ability to go in very light wind when the water is very flat and clear.

None of the Swing Wings are heavy, even with no wind, and with wind, they float like a paper airplane or feather.

When I started the 5 and 6 were not available, so yes, it was probably too early, but I believe you can easily get a hold of a 6 Swing Wing now.

Hi supkailua. Sorry, my bad. I know that the F-One Swings are light. But I was looking at the new Naish wings and I’m thinking that the 6m Naish would be too heavy. So I’m going to wait just a little bit longer to see what other 2nd generation Wings come out, but am thinking now I’ll probably end up with the 6m F-One. Thanks.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 12:24:54 PM »
I should also add that to start with I won't be trying a foil. I think I'll just use the Wing on my paddle board at first to get used to it. I would like to try foiling, but thought it would be better to get used to the Wing on one of my inflatable boards first.

Hi Quick,

You are going to have an amazing time with this and it is certainly doable with your wind conditions.  If your goal is to foil, I would skip the SUP.  That is not is positive experience for most who try it and it can be very discouraging.  Get yourself a stable SUP style foilboard, an easy lift foil setup and get started.  You can do all of your surface cruising, directional learning, etc on that kit.  When it comes time to foil you will already be tuned in to your gear. 

At 150 lbs you will be a light wind Marvel with my big kit.  Commit and you will be foiling away this summer.

Thanks Admin. Really appreciate it. I’ve been thinking all along that I would get the Wing first, use it on my SUP for a while, and then invest in a foil and foil board. But what you are saying makes sense.

Just out of curiosity though, are you saying get the board and foil, and ride the board with the foil attached while I’m just learning?

Thanks.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 12:37:29 PM »
.... are you saying get the board and foil, and ride the board with the foil attached while I’m just learning?

Thanks.

Yes. The foil under the board, helps a lot. Even when not up on foil.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2020, 12:38:45 PM »
The whole industry did a terrible disservice to middle America putting out 4m wings only, when most of the country needs 5 and 6 meters.

Development happened in Maui and Hood River. It's no big surprise that the 5 and 6 came late to the party. Even I can use a 3M wing in those places--sometimes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2020, 12:42:33 PM »
I think Admin is absolutely right. Allan Cadiz starts people off on a huge windsurfer with a centerboard--for the first hour or so. After that, it's straight to a foilboard. He sometimes uses a very short mast to reduce the "oh shit, I'm up really high" panic, but that goes away quickly too. It's best to get to your target equipment as quickly as possible, and plenty of people now are skipping the interim stages and going straight to the real gear. They do fine.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2020, 01:01:45 PM »
Thanks Dwight and Pono. Very much appreciated. In the next couple of weeks I’m going to take a trip to a board shop that’s a little out of town and see what they have to offer in the way of foils and foil boards. And I hope you don’t mind, but I’m sure I’ll have a ton of questions about boards and foils after that. I’ve been following the discussion on Wings pretty religiously, but I know less than nothing about foils and foil boards.

Thanks again.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2020, 01:43:30 PM »
Just out of curiosity though, are you saying get the board and foil, and ride the board with the foil attached while I’m just learning?

Yes, attach everything and set out.  The board feels a little different with a foil under it.  Even getting this stuff to (and into) the water requires some planning and getting used to. You will learn the balance of your board and foil while you are improving at the kneestart, cruising, pumping the (air) wing, staying upwind, learning surface transitions, etc.  That all works very well on a floaty SUP foilboard.  It is not high action, but it will still be plenty challenging and fun.  Then, when you are ready to try taking off, you will already know your kit really well so you will really be able to focus on taking off.  In the kind of wind that you are describing you wont be foiling accidentally. That will take a little input.  That is great for starting out.  Let us know how it goes!

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2020, 04:36:57 PM »
Thanks so much Admin. And yes, you’ll definitely be hearing back from me.

I’m going to try giving myself a bit of an education on foils and foil boards, and then I’m sure I’ll  be back looking for advice on which equipment would be best for me.

Thanks again.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2020, 04:37:27 PM »
I agree, bigger wing and bigger foil will make life easier. Much easier, especially in the light winds. I am super happy with my swing 5m and gofoil setup. When it is up to 20mph I am on maliko 280 - it takes me one or two pumps to fly. When it is gusting above 20 I am on Maliko 200 or Iwa wings. But smaller wings definitely take more wind/pumping to get going. I think 5m is really a good size, unless your goal is to fly in 10mph then 6 probably makes more sense.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 02:09:04 AM »

I’m going to try giving myself a bit of an education on foils and foil boards, and then I’m sure I’ll  be back looking for advice on which equipment would be best for me.

Thanks again.

That is a great plan.  Your foil setup is going to be the most important element.  At your specs you could foil in your wind with either the 5 or the 6 Swing (sorry, I have no info on the new larger Naishes).  There are lots of boards that will work.  But, your foil setup will be much more specific than that.  If it is not right you could stay surface bound.  I would strongly suggest that you stick with known good combinations for new riders (that is important) at your weight. 

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 08:56:30 AM »

Thanks again.

That is a great plan.  Your foil setup is going to be the most important element.  At your specs you could foil in your wind with either the 5 or the 6 Swing (sorry, I have no info on the new larger Naishes).  There are lots of boards that will work.  But, your foil setup will be much more specific than that.  If it is not right you could stay surface bound.  I would strongly suggest that you stick with known good combinations for new riders (that is important) at your weight.

Thanks Admin. But this raises two questions for me. First, do you have any suggestions on what might be a good foil set up for me given my weight and my conditions? I really am totally lost when it comes to foil set ups. I remember hearing larger is better. And I believe Pono suggested a shorter mast. I also remember someone saying that when they bailed off their board, their foil always sank and this was important for safety while learning??? But again, any specific recommendations would be very much appreciated. If at all possible, I really would like to get this right the first time.

And secondly, do you think I could get away with the 5m Swing? I’m just thinking it would be easier to learn on a smaller Wing and if the 5m would work, I’m thinking it might be better than trying to learn on the 6m??? Or am I better to just get the 6m?

Thanks again.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020, 09:23:11 AM »
The Axis 1020 front wing, Standard fuselage (this is actually their longest option) 500 tail, 68 cm mast.  I know that this will fly your 150 lbs easily.  There are likely others that would as well but I am 100% confident that this will.  I am 170 lbs and this will fly me in your wind with a 5.0 Swing.  The system is modular so you can change mast lengths or try different foils with much less wallet abuse after the initial purchase.  The resale value on this stuff is great if you need to make a change.  Masts are inexpensive new but you will be fine on the 68.  It is not too long to learn on (we both did) and as you will have no chop or swell on your lake you will never need longer for that condition.

9-12 works on my 5.0 Swing.  I am 13% heavier than you are so it will be "bigger" again for you.  I wasn't sure that I even wanted the 6 but I really enjoy light wind foiling and I am hopeful that it will let me go in even lighter winds or in the same winds with a smaller foil setup.  Chan goes in the same wind as I do on the 4.2 Swing and an Axis 920/440 setup.  All that said, I am not sure that there will be a big downside to the 6 for you.  A lot of the members here have been using it and loving it.  I flew the 6 last week on land (yes, 3 months off will do that to you) and it still feels very light and manageable.  It is lighter than most company's 4 meters.  I  haven't used the 6 in the water yet so that is the limit of what I can offer on that size.  The Swings are the most powerful wings that I have used so far.  They have a lot of low end get up and go which will help you a lot (especially at first).   A lot of brands are adopting elements of the Swing design now so there may be other great options this season. 

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:37:44 AM by Admin »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2020, 09:32:43 AM »
The Axis 1020 front wing, Standard fuselage (this is actually their longest option) 500 tail, 68 cm mast.  I know that this will fly your 150 lbs easily.  There are likely others that would as well but I am 100% confident that this will.  I am 170 lbs and this will fly me in your wind with a 5.0 Swing.  The system is modular so you can change mast lengths or try different foils with much less wallet abuse after the initial purchase.  The resale value on this stuff is great if you need to make a change.  Masts are inexpensive new but you will be fine on the 68.  It is not too long to learn on (we both did) and as you will have no chop or swell on your lake you will never need longer for that condition.

9-12 works on my 5.0 Swing.  I am 13% heavier than you are so it will be "bigger" again for you.  I wasn't sure that I even wanted the 6 but I really enjoy light wind foiling and I am hopeful that it will let me go in even lighter winds or in the same winds with a smaller foil setup.  Chan goes in the same wind as I do on the 4.2 Swing and an Axis 920/440 setup.  All that said, I am not sure that there will be a big downside to the 6 for you.  A lot of the members here have been using it and loving it.  I flew the 6 last week on land (yes, 3 months off will do that to you) and it still feels very light and manageable.  It is lighter than most company's 4 meters.  I  haven't used the 6 in the water yet so that is the limit of what I can offer.

Thank you so much. This is exactly the information I was looking for. As I said, I have at least a little bit of knowledge on Wings, but on foil set ups I'm totally lost. So this really helps. Thanks again!
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal