Author Topic: F-One Or OZone, which one's faster? I'll tell you.  (Read 2871 times)

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
F-One Or OZone, which one's faster? I'll tell you.
« on: February 22, 2020, 10:23:51 AM »
The OZone.

I've had my F-One 4.2 since September and have it pretty dialed.  I've been racing a friend lately with his OZone 4M, and he's been smoking me.

Just thought you'd like some info on which one is faster.

For up to date wing foil vids subscribe to my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/dailybreadsurf/videos?view_as=subscriber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8TaeFpK-yU&t=60s
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 10:25:23 AM by DailyBread Surf Photo »

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: F-One Or OZone, which one's faster? I'll tell you.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 10:38:02 AM »
Are you and your friend on the same exact foil, similar board and similar weight? All those things, especially the foil wing size play a part in how fast you can go.

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 12:22:07 PM »
All things the same, except I have about 20 pounds on him.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 02:28:04 PM »
Meaning you are 20 pounds more? Weight is a huge deal in foiling. Everyone is faster than me.

That said, I think the 4.2 F-One is NOT the sweet spot of the range. I like the 3.5 and the 5 better. The 4.2 drove me nutty when I rigged down to it yesterday.

Given enough wind for me to get up with it, the 3.5 seems just wickedly fast, and the 5.0 is forgiving and comfortable. For me the 4.2 is oddly balanced and seems to pivot upwind unless I wrestle it a bit, especially when I'm coming up on the foil. Since I use a fake boom I've started putting the front handle web between my index and second finger, with the thumb and index finger wrapped only on the boom. The wing balances and pulls better like that. Neither the 3.5 nor the 5.0 require such shenanigans.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 04:07:26 PM »
I agree with PonoBill the weight is making the difference. I don't think the Swing is any less powerful. They even recommend larger foils for heavier riders because it just takes more lift from the foil to lift more weight. So some of your speed is being eaten I would think by the foil having to work harder just to keep you foiling. It might require a slightly different angle to keep the lift going, and that could play a part in the top speed.

If you have seen the heights the F-One Team rider jumps to you can tell this is a powerful wing.

I have the 4.2 and enjoy it as much as the other sizes. To me they are all the same, it just depends on what the wind is doing. If the wind is gusting over 20 mph I would prefer to be on the 4.2.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 04:16:09 PM »
The OZone.

I've had my F-One 4.2 since September and have it pretty dialed.  I've been racing a friend lately with his OZone 4M, and he's been smoking me.

Just thought you'd like some info on which one is faster.

For up to date wing foil vids subscribe to my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/dailybreadsurf/videos?view_as=subscriber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8TaeFpK-yU&t=60s

Given the comments to your post, why not try swapping wings? If your friend
still beats you, then it is probably not the wings but the weight difference.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

surfwingsteve

• Waikiki Status
  • Just get me to the sea
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 04:46:26 PM »
It's all physics and math.  All the variables need to be close to identical- honestly even including riding skill to test the two.  You need the same guy with the same gear, with the same documented wind, same current,  swapping out kites NUMEROUS times to have an accurate comparison.  Take it a step further and you can get into body surface area, as body habitus, even with IDENTICAL weights will dramatically effect your wind resistance, right?  Imagine a 6'4 90kg vs a 5'4 90kg.  All variables otherwise equal, slenderman always wins.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 09:19:57 AM »
Awesome video DailyBread!!! Almost makes it look fun enough, that for a moment there, the idea of buying another wing - and actually inflating it and trying it this time - momentarily crossed my mind. But then there's those dang windy conditions again in the clip that brought me right back to reality. Once someone figures out how to use them on calm days...I'll be all one on in a heartbeat....lol  :D  Good stuff though, looks like you guys are all having a blast!! Very cool. 8)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 09:49:29 AM »
SanoSlatchSup, inflate the Swing 6 and go in 10 mph average. Not much goes in less wind.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 10:24:49 AM »
Awesome video DailyBread!!! Almost makes it look fun enough, that for a moment there, the idea of buying another wing - and actually inflating it and trying it this time - momentarily crossed my mind. But then there's those dang windy conditions again in the clip that brought me right back to reality. Once someone figures out how to use them on calm days...I'll be all one on in a heartbeat....lol  :D  Good stuff though, looks like you guys are all having a blast!! Very cool. 8)

10-15 is actually the most satisfying wind to wing in. It’s like a magic carpet ride in calm seas and no wind. It’s mind blowing and serene. Get a 6m.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:28:08 AM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 12:53:56 PM »
^^that^^

I had a blast yesterday with my 6M in sub 20 MPH wind (gusting to 23) but when the wind died down to 15 around 4:00 PM it was even better. Smooth, easy, fun.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 01:05:10 AM »
What I'd give for some smooth, easy fun. We've been battered by winter storms here in the UK for the last month and I'm looking forward to a session which isn't a battle against 25 knots, gusting 30, with wild, tidal sea state...

The 4m has handled it just about, but it's not its target conditions.

Sub optimal conditions for learning to gybe...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal