Author Topic: A 9'8 Jimmy Lewis Destroyer as a performance longboard - It works  (Read 5544 times)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
There’s been some good reviews/discussion of the Destroyer in its “appropriate’ size… how it surfs small…  (MilSurf, LBsup, Lopezwill, BigZ )

But I’ve always been on the lookout for a bigger high performance board, and I’ve found it in the 9’8 Destroyer (9’3x31.3@160).

I’m 190 lbs (58 yrs) at total intermediate level. So when I say I like a cruisy board to carve longer turns, it’s true, but also a function of my abilities : )  But this board… it fixes my perceived issues with past boards.  My New Deal – domed deck more than I like, and less stable than I like in choppy conditions.  The Destoyer – its deck is slightly domed, but not enough to be bothersome after a few hours. And with my feet inboard a bit, it’s even less noticeable.  But yet it results in nice narrowish rails. Even at 160 liters, the rails are mostly in the water. I can turn it from basically anywhere on the board.

It’s super capable:  With its tanker shape and size it catches pretty much anything that you think could be caught. Rail related, I had a shoulder high wave where I found myself floating on top… looking down, wondering how the hell this is going to work out… after a couple of seconds with me still up there, and I decided I’d drop and turn at the same time, and it worked.  The rail bit in and it took off.  The takeaway there is that the board is better than I am, so great for the ego.     

Rocker wise, the front is at a sweet spot where it either avoids or forgives pearling. I’ve happily watched the nose come up out of the water several times when I would have been toast in the past.  I also had a Stun Gun 10’2x32.5 @160. That was a nice board but appropriate for bigger waves than I surf.  That also had enough rocker that a few paddle strokes, when turning and catching a wave, would turn the board too far. The Destroyer in contrast allows me to stay on track and get up to speed without that overturning. The narrow rails also allow me to dig the paddle side rail in a bit to counter steer the board against the paddle’s effect if that makes sense.   I don’t feel like its pushing water when I paddle. Nor does it feel super glide-y. It's fast enough.     

Stability wise it’s easy. In chop it’s a little iffy, but you never fall. I think the little bit of instability is just because of the lack of battleship rails.  Volume wise, it doesn’t feel corky to me. I had a World Wide 9’9x33@171. That board felt corky, and it had volume out in wide rails. Plus I spend most of my time on 14’ flat water boards with 6” rails so maybe it’s just the contrast. 

It came with a 6” center fin and side bites, I’ve been using an 8” center that I like. Haven’t tried the smaller yet.

Paddle - Separately - I moved from a Werner 89” blade Rip Stick to a 79” blade Rip Stick.  I prefer the smaller blade. It is also has the narrow circumference shaft. That is also fine, but that shaft has a smaller handle accompanying it, which I suppose I can get used to, but it just feels like my hand overwhelms the handle. I should have gotten the standard circumference.   

Anyway… super stoked with the board. Because of where I live, sometimes months pass between surf sessions. So progress isn’t as fast if I could surf all the time. Maybe my needs will change as I get better, but I’m cool with this for the foreseeable future.       
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 02:45:39 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: A 9'8 Jimmy Lewis Destroyer as a performance longboard - It works
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 03:44:20 PM »

Stoked the Destroyer 9'8" is working out for you.  I really like the slightly drawn out shape of the 9'8".

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 10:06:53 PM »
Very interesting observations. I have only tried Destroyer 8’5 and to not repeat myself I love it. I cannot comment on larger Destroyers and how they work as HP longboards.

However, it looks like we have a similar quiver. My other board is Infinity New Deal 10x29.  I find these two boards to be a very versatile setup.  New Deal is also an amazing board and a true HP longboard. It works in a wide range of conditions but I love it in smaller fatter waves. It makes knee high waves fun. When it gets over waist high I do prefer my Destroyer as I am a longboard “hack” and don’t have skills to surf New Deal to its full potential.

If I ever get down to about 230  pounds (never ending quest :)), I am thinking about Destroyer 10x29x125l. I think 8’5 an 10’ Destroyers would be a dream quiver for 210-240 pounds riders.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:10:13 PM by BigZ »

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 07:31:14 AM »
Wow, the nose rocker on that 9'8 is heaps more than my 8'5. I guess it makes sense since the length difference is over a foot, or maybe it's just angle of the photo. There are times I wish my 8'5 had more nose rocker, or was a bit narrower up there, to avoid pearling... but then there are times I've got 5 on the nose and I'm happy with it just as it is.
Jimmy Lewis Worldwide 8'1 x 29 - 110L
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5 x 30 - 130L
Kalama E3 9'2 x 30 - 126L

previous:
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6 x 32 - 141L
Infinity RNB 8'8 x 32 - 142L
Hobie RAW 9'4 x 32 - 146L
Starboard Element 9'8 x 30 - 153L

me: 5'11, 185lbs, 42yrs old
@surfing_byrneski

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 11:02:33 AM »
North - I don't think the rocker plan is any different between the 8'5 and 9'8.  And I think you're right about the photo maybe being misleading... I see in that photo a little rolling swell is just under the board, lifting the front out of the water.

BTW, how does your 8'5 Destroyer compare to your old 8'6 Super Frank in wave catching on smaller slopey waves?   I'm considering adding a smaller board.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 11:31:37 AM by Dusk Patrol »

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 12:47:48 PM »
North - I don't think the rocker plan is any different between the 8'5 and 9'8.  And I think you're right about the photo maybe being misleading... I see in that photo a little rolling swell is just under the board, lifting the front out of the water.

BTW, how does your 8'5 Destroyer compare to your old 8'6 Super Frank in wave catching on smaller slopey waves?   I'm considering adding a smaller board.
On small waves the 8'6 Super Frank was always a blast. The 8'5 Destroyer is also super fun on small waves, but I have to give the slight nod to the SF because it begs to be turned and skate around at high speeds even on a 2' wave. Again, the Destroyer can have tons of fun on a 2' wave as well, but the SF wins that category by a hair. On any waves over 2' I give it to the Destroyer. I've ridden it on everything from ankle slappers to a few feet overhead and it charges. Bottom turns, gunning down the line, or tight cutbacks on the lip - it does them all with confidence. I owned both of them for a brief period of time after purchasing the Destroyer and after my first outing with the Destroyer I know I was selling the SF. I bottom turned, came up the face, pivoted down, and had zero feeling of "I might not make it". I often found myself falling or losing balance when surfing vertically or making an aggressive bottom turn with the Super Frank and I have to attribute that to the square tail (as opposed to the rounded pin on the Destroyer).
Jimmy Lewis Worldwide 8'1 x 29 - 110L
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5 x 30 - 130L
Kalama E3 9'2 x 30 - 126L

previous:
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6 x 32 - 141L
Infinity RNB 8'8 x 32 - 142L
Hobie RAW 9'4 x 32 - 146L
Starboard Element 9'8 x 30 - 153L

me: 5'11, 185lbs, 42yrs old
@surfing_byrneski

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 01:36:27 PM »
So no appreciable difference in ability to catch small waves, but definitely on the wave. Thanks. Super helpful.

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 06:18:13 PM »
DP where do you surf ?  are you surfing beach or point breaks on your destroyer ?
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 10:09:35 PM »
Actually reefs mostly. I keep the board in Honolulu as I’m lucky enough to go there for work every couple of months. Almost always Pops/Populars.  You get all kinds of waves there. In between the bigger sets there are still smaller slope-y waves. Or I’ll hang out on the sides of the main breaks because waves can (and do) appear anywhere out there. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal