Author Topic: Anyone riding Naish Hokua or Mad Dog?  (Read 4272 times)

Hail SUPn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone riding Naish Hokua or Mad Dog?
« on: February 19, 2020, 06:59:53 AM »
I’ve been trying to find a ride review of the Naish Hokua or Mad Dog within the last two years and have had no luck. I’m not interested in the sub 8ft versions or the X32. Anyone that has info or experience on stability, durability, best conditions for use, limitations, and any other info would be appreciated.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone riding Naish Hokua or Mad Dog?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 10:07:40 AM »

Hey so I have been riding these boards to defferent degrees. My all time favorite is the 9'0 hokua for pretty obvious reasons..I have surfed it in pretty much any condition and never been disappointed. Biggest wave I have ridden with it was 18ft. It excels at shoulder high to 12ft. but can definitely surf much smaller waves well too. That said since I am not surfing as much now and my usual spots now are more bumpy I think the wider boards fit me better. The Mad Dog I had was a bit too small for me..it was the 7'10'' so it was a bit hard in bumpy conditions but great on the wave. The bigger versions are better for my riding and weight. I do not mind the wider boards, but the regular ones surf better....just a bit more moving back and forth on the wider.. :-)

Let me know if you have any questions tho.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 11:02:24 AM »
I rode a couple of X-32's and didn't care for them.  Super stable, but slow and didn't turn as well as I hoped.  I owned a sub 8' Hokua a few years ago and found I didn't have the skill to make it go well.  It absolutely shredded when I was able to get going on a wave, but I had a terrible time catching waves and I fell over constantly waiting for waves.  That's not an indictment on the board, but more of an illustration that I was not as skilled as I thought I was. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 01:40:21 PM »

Hail SUPn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 02:57:24 PM »

Hey so I have been riding these boards to defferent degrees. My all time favorite is the 9'0 hokua for pretty obvious reasons..I have surfed it in pretty much any condition and never been disappointed. Biggest wave I have ridden with it was 18ft. It excels at shoulder high to 12ft. but can definitely surf much smaller waves well too. That said since I am not surfing as much now and my usual spots now are more bumpy I think the wider boards fit me better. The Mad Dog I had was a bit too small for me..it was the 7'10'' so it was a bit hard in bumpy conditions but great on the wave. The bigger versions are better for my riding and weight. I do not mind the wider boards, but the regular ones surf better....just a bit more moving back and forth on the wider.. :-)

Let me know if you have any questions tho.

How much of a difference in performance is there from the Hokua vs Mad Dog? Naish makes it seem like the Hokua is just a smooth carving board and the Mad Dog is a wave slaying machine.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 11:03:25 PM »

Zoo I also had that board. Best board I have ever owned once you hit the wave. I airdropped a few times on that board...made me feel so good, but yeah bumps really got to the board...probably because I got fatter and sank the board.

OP, I think that seems like a fair description. The MD seems to have more rocker. The hokua flattens out more. Not sure if it is me, but either of those boards are great IMO. One of the reasons for liking that 9'0 is all the epic experiences I have had on that board. It also seemed to paddle faster but that might also have to do with the length of the board. Now that said, I did not ride these boards side by side. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal