Author Topic: Tried the Jimmy Lewis 9'3" Destroyer today.  (Read 3638 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Tried the Jimmy Lewis 9'3" Destroyer today.
« on: February 13, 2020, 07:08:25 PM »

I had a couple of surfs on the JL Destroyer in 3 to 5 foot sand beach break conditions.  I'm 6'4" 220, 64.  The board surfs much smaller than the length.  Feels more like a 8'10".  It's easy (with that pin tail) to whip around and catch waves.  Volume and stability is very good...maybe a little "Corky" for me.  The first thing I noticed when I stood up on it is the domed deck.  On the 9'3" it's very pronounced.  I much prefer a flat standing area.  There is a pronounced flip - rocker - in the nose.  It goes over white water and on coming waves great.

It seemed to push water from the nose when paddling.  It has a lot of rocker and once on a wave it wants to be pushed and surfed from the tail.  It's easy to whip around on a wave and surfs really well.  It reminds me a little of the Starboard 8'10" Widepoint I tried once.  I think it would be a great board for a punchy beach break or reef wave as long as the surf is not to big.  I changed the fins out to a 4 3/4 sides with a 7 inch middle fin.  Seemed to surf the same as with the JL fins it came with.  I probably should have changed out the thruster for a quad set up but didn't have time. 

Sup surfing is very subjective so take my opinions with a grain of salt. I'll compare the 9'3"Destroyer to the 9'4" Creek which I have owned for a couple of years.  In short... I didn't get along with the Destroyer that well.  I'm certain it would be a "Magic" board for many people but that domed deck and that nose rocker made it paddle uncomfortable to me.  Paddling into a wave took more effort with the JL probably due to the nose rocker.  I prefer a board that has more glide like my Sunova Creek 9'4".  The Creek is more comfortable to stand on and surf for me. The JL likes to make short- quick turns in the pocket while surfing.  These quick tight turns are a good thing and some riders might enjoy this.
 The Creek has better glide and catches waves with not as much effort.  The Creek carves into the wave and speeds out to the flat faster than the JL.  The fit and finish with the JL is outstanding!  The board is very light and made well. 

As with most sup designs it is really worthwhile to try out a board before you purchase it.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tried the Jimmy Lewis 9'3" Destroyer today.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 07:11:13 PM »

A few more photos of the JL Destroyer that didn't show up on the first page.

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 09:16:29 PM »
IMHO, you tried a wrong Destroyer for your weight. At 220 pounds, 9’3 destroyer was way to big for you so you were not able to exploit its full potential. 9’3 would be a perfect board for somebody in 260-270 pounds range. I am 250 and I am on 8’5. I think you would fall in love with 8’5.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 09:52:52 PM »
BigZ

What is your height and age?  Where do you surf the 8'5"?

Would love to here a review of your JL 8'5".  8)

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 03:51:41 AM »
BigZ

What is your height and age?  Where do you surf the 8'5"?

Would love to here a review of your JL 8'5".  8)

I am 6’4. Over 50. I mostly use 8’5 in waist to slightly overhead: point breaks and a couple of beach breaks. For smaller, fatter waves I will be on my longboard.

At my weight, the deck is covered with water when still but does not sink. Despite being short it has a relatively good pitch stability - important for tall guys - so keeping the nose up for paddling is not difficult.

The roll stability is amazing for the size of the board.  The deck is slightly doomed but most likely less than on 9’3. Granted, I have never had issues with doomed decks as I paddle in a narrow staggered stance. Both my feet are very close to the center line. The benefit of the deck shape is that it allows to maintain rather thin rails that stay under water increasing stability and provide better hold in steeper waves.

I hate corky boards. At 250 pounds, most boards over 150l feel corky to me and ironically feel much less stable when paddling in rough conditions. And of course much worse on a wave.

I find that with a very stable shape like Destroyer the sweet point for the Guild factor is around 1.2. On a narrower less stable shape I would probably go up to about 1.3. Anything over 1.5 is just to much.

The above comments are in the context of an intermediate rider  and a high performance shape like Destroyer. Of course, they don’t apply to riders just getting into the surf and using more all around shapes. In these cases, a more voluminous and even wider board would be much better. But even than, going over 1.6 Guild factor does not buy you much more in terms of stability in wavy conditions and makes it much more difficult to control the board when planning.

Just my biased opinion.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 07:48:22 AM »
  Great report BigZ! 

I would love to try the 8'5" and 8'10" models of the Destroyer.  The 8'10" would really be the sweet spot board at my weight and balance I think?

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 09:36:28 AM »
I have the 8'10 Destroyer.  I'm 56, 5'9, 205lbs without 5mil wetsuit.  I've been riding the Destroyer since September and like it a lot.
I live in NJ and ride exclusively beach breaks from gutless junk to solid head high juice.  When standing on the board the rails are just below the surface of the water my feet are dry, that's how i like it. I do not want my feet underwater when standing.  I feel the nose rocker is just right and the board paddles great.  I'm currently riding it as a thruster using GL2 side fins with a smaller 4" True Ames center fin, I really like this configuration.  I don't agree with your assessment of the way this board turns.  I can do long drawn out turns I also can surf it from the middle not on the tail.  Finally, I am not a fan at all of domed decks I feel the 8'10 dome is very subtle.
Below is a pic of the Destroyer with the JL SF just below.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 10:26:26 AM »
LB, how does destroyer compare to SF. I loved surfing SF. Thanks
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 11:09:22 AM »
LB, how does destroyer compare to SF. I loved surfing SF. Thanks
My SF is the wide version so that should be taken into account.  Both very fun boards the main difference for me is I think the destroyer handles bigger waves better.  This is probably due to it being narrower and a bit longer and on my back hand(which I use a lot in this area) I can take off late on steep drops and feel confident I’ll make it.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal