Author Topic: New Naish S25 Wing-Surfer  (Read 32065 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Naish S25 Wing-Surfer
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2020, 09:07:06 AM »
Here is my 5.3m setup with Dakine harness line https://www.dakine.com/collections/windsurf-accessories/products/dakine-lines?variant=29225286467664

Hey Dwight, how did the  Naish wing come folded up?  Just curious how to pack without putting a crease in the window but allowing it to fit in a small bag or backpack?  Is the bag similar in size to F-One?

Thanks
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2020, 05:02:47 PM »

Hey Dwight, how did the  Naish wing come folded up?  Just curious how to pack without putting a crease in the window but allowing it to fit in a small bag or backpack?  Is the bag similar in size to F-One?

Thanks

Don’t worry about it. PVC windows have been in sails for 30 years. Maybe longer. You can even put your head into them, put a big dent in it, then it magically goes away over time.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2020, 05:07:19 PM »
Off shore wind again today. A place I normally only get about 25% harness use because it’s too sketchy (draft moving, wing bucking) in the nuclear gusts from hell. I rode in the harness 100% today, taking every gust no problem. Absolutely no doubt the stability is next level.

Video was from earlier in the day before my nuclear hooked in runs. Jacky put the camera away too early.
https://youtu.be/xYzH3eWePgg
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:11:32 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2020, 08:14:00 PM »

Thanks

Don’t worry about it. PVC windows have been in sails for 30 years. Maybe longer. You can even put your head into them, put a big dent in it, then it magically goes away over time.

That’s why I asked, I have been windsurfing 25 years but never once folded a sail, always rolled them up. Windows are durable but can get awfully cloudy
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2020, 10:38:33 PM »
I did a short session at Kanaha today with my 6M F-one. I didn't have much time, we're doing a remodel at Ponohouse. but needed to get wet. S25's were everywhere. It was kind of weird. Before today there was just Robbie and his prototypes, Michi, and one nice Hawaiian lady who is very good. today they were like bellybuttons--everybody had one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2020, 03:28:20 AM »
Windows are durable but can get awfully cloudy

They only get cloudy when you wash them with fresh water and put away wet. Salt water doesn’t do that.

It clears up in the sun anyway.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 04:12:38 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2020, 07:37:18 AM »
Windows are durable but can get awfully cloudy

They only get cloudy when you wash them with fresh water and put away wet. Salt water doesn’t do that.

It clears up in the sun anyway.

So if you are only using them in fresh water, how do you stop them from getting cloudy? Is the answer to wipe them down to try and dry them before putting them away?
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2020, 08:05:46 AM »
Fresh water riders have to let them dry before packing up.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2020, 08:29:09 AM »
Thanks Dwight.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2020, 10:45:21 AM »
I looked one over yesterday. Nice design, I can see how a lot of people would like them. Then I picked one up. It didn't have markings on it telling the size that I could see, so it might have been a prototype, but geez it was heavy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2020, 12:17:33 AM »
Windows always get cloudy in my experience with windsurf sails, if you want to have clear windows you have to sell your sails every year and get new ones.
I windsurf in salt water only btw.

And with windows in wings , you will never see everything. and you will Just lifting the wing is safer

So I go for light weight.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2020, 05:17:08 AM »
.....it might have been a prototype, but geez it was heavy.

A light weight wing is advantageous when doing knee starts without enough wind for sure. But nobody buys a sail based on how it uphauls. Once you get to your feet, then it all makes sense. The powerful, rigid, rock solid pumps, get you airborne easier.

Let’s think about what we know from windsurfing for a moment. Many here, have never windsurfed.

Jacky and I cannot use each other’s windsurf booms. Why? Because our harness lines are in totally different spots on the booms. This is due to our big weight difference. The harness lines are set to the center of pressure in the sail (wing) for perfect balance. That balance spot (center of pressure) can only be found while sailing. We ride the same sails, yet our harness lines are in different spots. What gives? Well, it’s the sail (wing) that gives. The draft in a sail (or wing) moves back as the load increases. The heavier it’s loaded, the more it moves back, changing that center of pressure, or balance spot. You counter this movement with back hand pressure. This issue becomes less as designs advance, but it never goes away.

How does this relate to winging?  If the handles are fixed, no boom, then you are forced to use what is there, regardless of your weight. If there are only two handles for riding, then somebody has a less than ideal setup. The average 160 lb rider has it made, the wing is designed around them. The rest of us ride a compromised wing. The heavy dude has more back arm pressure. The little lady has more front arm pressure. Close enough is good enough in the beginning, then you get better, and want better. Lots of people probably don’t notice this yet, because their arms are just the rubber band between them and the wing, wasting/spilling power. Heavy dudes can’t be wasting power.

I burned out my back arm pretty quick and got tendinitis. I started using a harness to clear it up.

The extra Naish handles, combined with the increased wing stability, reduces these issues.

I have noticed the increased stability of the S25 at my weight, has allowed a wider range of comfortable harness use. Wider range in not just wind speed, but wider range of angles to the wind. Higher upwind angles are more comfortable, and farther down wind is more comfortable. All because of the rigidity and stability of the S25. When I switch wings with my buddy and get back on what I used to ride, it’s a hot mess of instability, and feels like a spongy blown out bed sheet. I’ve gone from riding in the harness 50% with the old wing, to 100% with the S25. That is a huge advancement.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2020, 08:34:34 AM »
Dwight I have the 1st gen 4m naish and weight was not that bad really, but it’s a 4m so didn’t really effect me then I got the 7m gong guess V2? and man that thing was a beast weight and airwise probably weighs as much as my old naish 15m fly kite and probably took as much air to pump up and I’m a big guy 225lb dry being a kiter for 15 yrs thought it’s weight and air volume was definitely excessive, just wondering if perhaps you tried the 7m gong and could compare it weight wise to the new naish bigger wings? Im interested in the 5.3 and 7.2 when it comes out,for westcoast in 15-25 mph days, but hoping new naish is not as heavy as my gong my biggest complaint but the gong definitely has the power for a big rider like myself but a lot to wrestle with weight wise and strain on my elbow sometimes,also going to convert to more harness time come wind season here I use a dakine nitro harness for kiting will that be good fit with the da kine harness line you use or do you recommend something else, not a big fan of waist harness’s with my build.nice review Dwight Thanks
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2020, 09:35:36 AM »
Paddlur, I was riding the Duotone 5m and Gong 7m back then, so Gong weight seemed fine. The balance of the Gong was nice, so never had issues with it. Can’t help any more than that.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2020, 10:37:11 AM »
Paddlur, I was riding the Duotone 5m and Gong 7m back then, so Gong weight seemed fine. The balance of the Gong was nice, so never had issues with it. Can’t help any more than that.
Gotcha how bout the harness, what are you using? I have the dakine short style Nitrous harness you think that would work with the dakine harness lines you use or you need a higher waist harness or more windsurf oriented harness which I’m not familiar with
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal