Author Topic: Hudson River Paddle for Puerto Rico  (Read 7249 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Hudson River Paddle for Puerto Rico
« on: February 15, 2020, 07:20:44 AM »
Hi everybody, I am organizing a fundraising paddle on March 21 on the Hudson River. The purpose of the paddle is to raise funds for Angelitos de Amor Salon, Inc. This organization helps improve the lives of children with Down’s syndrome in Puerto Rico affected by the recent natural disasters. They typically would get funding from the Rincon Beach Boy race, but that was canceled because of the earthquake. We're trying to make up some of the slack. Funds raised will be split with HVH2O.

The location is Peekskill, NY. Race time is 10AM. (There's a tide we're working with.) There are three events to choose from, a 7.3 mile run to the Bear Mountain Bridge, a 3 mile sprint, and a 1 mile beginner paddle. Temperatures will be cold (water about 40ºF), so cold weather gear (wetsuit/drysuit) as well as leash and a worn PFD is mandatory.

I anybody is interested in coming and setting up a tent, please let me know. We have spaces for food and dealers.

Here's the Paddle Guru link: https://paddleguru.com/races/BearMountainPaddleRaceforPuertoRico

Here's the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/814132322422850/
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Hudson River Paddle for Puerto Rico
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 08:22:53 AM »
I wanted to share a few pics of the course. We now have some vendors coming and will have buffet at the end of the event.

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 12:45:37 PM »
Sounds like a great event and cause but wondering how much participation you're going to get holding it in winter conditions. Most of the charity races and paddles in the Northeast are during warmer months and it's challenging enough to get people to do it in warmer waters. How many hard-core winter paddlers are in the NY Metro or surrounding areas are there around who would be up to travel for this? I only paddle downwinders and surf in the winter on rare occasions knowing that I have hot water to come back to right after I get our of the water (thanks to my RinseKit).  Why not try to hold the event during Summer months outside of the school calendar (and weekend kids sports)? 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 05:39:34 PM »
I hear you, but we already have 7 signups. It was only announced about three days ago, so I think we'll get a pretty good response. We have some good people promoting it. If we do this again plan on doing an October paddle.

There is a strong winter crew out here. We have to be.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal