Author Topic: packing up your wing  (Read 5555 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
packing up your wing
« on: February 13, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »
Just curious how everyone packs up their wings?

I usually don't have enough time to wait for the wing to dry completely so its wet and covered with some sand especially along the bladder. I do my best to brush off excess sand, but no way to remove it all. I then roll up the wing (Duotone) and put in bag. When I have time at home, I unpack and then brush off all remaining sand and re pack.  By then wing is usually dry too

unfortunately I don't have a grassy area to rig, just a sandy beach so it's a bit of a mess packing up..

How do you goes do it?
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: packing up your wing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:21:51 PM »
If I can't get it clean on-site I don't bag it, just gather it up and stuff it in the car. At home I wash it with a hose, let it dry and back it.

I watched Alan and Patty Cadiz putting away about 20 sails from a massive kids windsurfing class they did this morning. The sails were sandy and wet. Patty had a large, soft hand brush that she brushed the wings off with and then Allan stowed them. they went through 20 wings faster than I packed up one geezer worth of gear. I'm going to get a big brush.

Then I watched Livio Menalau put his wing away. He'd rinsed it with a hose, then he stood it up and dried it off with the towel he'd used to shower with. That looked good to me too. Kenaha is easy to clean your wings (grass and a shower with a hose) but Ka'a isn't--no shower, no grass. So I generally just stuff and go, but Kanaha is about a mile away, so I sometimes stop there and do the cleanup.

Last, but not least, I just got a Big Kahuna shower for my van. It's an eight gallon container with an electric submersible pump in it, a nice hose and showerhead, a cord with lighter plug. They even have a water heater option but I didn't go for that. I tried it in the driveway--nice. If you live in Hawaii, don't get too excited. They shipped mine to me for free (part of their deal) but they lost money on the deal ($73 via USPS!!). 167 bucks for the unit. They sent me a note saying "we won't do that again!"
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:42:27 PM »
That’s funny Pono because I have been using a hand brush at the beach to get as much off as I can, then at home unpack and do it again with a broom .  Amazing how much sand I bring home.   As I do with my windsurfing sails,  I don’t rinse the wing with fresh water until  I am storing for a long time. 

The canopy dries so fast, but the leading edges of the bladder stays wet for days it seems
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 09:26:25 PM »
Make sure you're checking the edge of the joint of the canopy and bladder. A thin, nearly invisible layer can get trapped there and it has to be bad news for the fabric. the only way I've found to get rid of it is blasting it with a hose.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 12:38:23 PM »
Interestingly, Gong say not to rinse off their wings with tap water as the chlorine removes a coating on the material...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 09:48:06 AM »
Jeff Henderson at Maui HotSails says the same thing. Unfortunately, I think sand in crevices where it can rub against the fabric will do more than just take off a coating.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 07:40:46 AM »
Had to go back and revisit this one. Most of my launches will be sandy and or rocky. I think I’m going to put an IKEA bag in the ride to loosely hold the rolled up wing and contain some sand

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 09:05:02 AM »
Good topic here as this one aspect of winging is about the only thing that bugs me a little as have been a kiter for close to 20 yrs my kites are usually dry 95% of the time after a session and my wings are a 100% wet sandy mess after each session and trying to get it in it’s original bag when it’s blowing sand and wet is tough one to get in the original bags as they are all woefully undersized can barely get em in dry for that matter been that way for a loong time in the kiting industry always small crappy bags usually.So sure be nice if one of the kite/wing companies or after market companies come up with a lightweight longer sized quick wet wing dump bag with breathable mesh at the top and waterproof material down low with length wise zipper so when it’s windy and our wings are wet and full of sand just roll em quick dump in the bag zipper it up be out of there and deal with it drying at home in driveway or grass whatever.Out here on the west coast they don’t dry as fast as warmer climates sometimes don’t have time to wait to let them dry leashed to board.Now if your in Maui or warmer locales no worries they dry pretty fast but think many of us wingers don’t have that climate to dry em fast.Perhaps already a bag out there that might be a dual purpose bag for some other sport  that would work with our wet wings tired of the mess in back of my truck with wet seawater wing on top of my board till I get home a nice wing specific bag with a easy entry zipper not some small diameter round hole bag like my wing bags that’s pretty much a major chore to make it fit in the bag when windy wet and sandy,let alone getting it in there dry!As right now I just roll the wet sandy mess up and throw carefully on top of my board in back of my truck and close my bed cover over and sand bag weight it down. I find when I get home and let it dry and blow it with small makita 18v blower that helps get sand out of hard to get areas.Wings really take a beating usually way more than kites would because of this so they need to be stitched a bit better than a kite IMO moving forward in our sport!It would be great if someone or a company would make one I’d buy one tomorrow,and while there at it make simple lightweight winging harness to boot!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 09:13:53 AM by paddlur »
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »
I roll and fold into 1/3rds my wet wing (95% of time) into its backpack. When possible, I try to keep it out of sand or dirt before packing. When my wing dries out before packing I am happy and consider it a bonus...mostly because it is then lighter to carry back from the beach. While I acknowledge Alan Cadiz has so much more experience than me, I felt like his video on folding a wing was unrealistic for me. I agree with paddlur that as a kiter so over 15y I was always a bit horrified to put my kite away the way I put my wing away most of the time.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 11:32:32 AM »
Totally agree paddlur,  windsurfing companies kiting companies in now wing companies make the storage bags way too small. You have to be an origami expert or laundry expert to pack the wing, sail or kite back into the original bag. I don’t know why they make them so exact when it would be so easy just to make them a little bit larger and more accommodating.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 11:52:21 AM »
You guys, who live in tropical places, make me laugh! I think you need some bigger problems in your life!

Picture the scene, 5-10 degrees Celsius, horizontal rain, wing soaking and covered in muddy sand, sorry standing there with a brush, whilst freezing your nuts off isn’t going to cut it. Stuff it in the car, hang it in the garage and wait 2 days for it to dry, give it a shake, roll it up and away you go again.

My wings haven’t been bag in their bags since the first day I unpacked them.

If anyone wants to trade their tropical location with me, I’d be happy to buy a brush.😂
Mike

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 01:14:45 PM »
You can get this guy  https://www.jpwinc.com/care-and-maintenance/custom-dry-bag-design-procedure/?v=7516fd43adaa to make you an over sized dry bag. Had one made for windsurfing 6.2 sail and smaller with boom and an extra wide 8.3 single sail bag. A little OCD with salt and sand in my vehicle.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 01:17:14 PM »
Haha Mike, yeah, we all have our cross to bear. I’ll be in 80° air and 70° water today, bright sun. I can’t complain about a little sand.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 04:29:10 PM »
Totally agree paddlur,  windsurfing companies kiting companies in now wing companies make the storage bags way too small. You have to be an origami expert or laundry expert to pack the wing, sail or kite back into the original bag. I don’t know why they make them so exact when it would be so easy just to make them a little bit larger and more accommodating.
Amen to this.  My Unit bag for my 6m is a joke.  I love the wing but the bag, man what were they thinking?  We have a ton of old windsurf bags because Shirley does sail repair and many have just walked away from their sails.  Now it turns out great for me because of the bag I poached.  The sails, never repaired, end up in the dump

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 05:36:02 PM »
I’m a big fan of Greg’s packing technique at the 43:00 mark in his wing video:

http://boardridingmaui.com/wing.html

My local is sand only or sand spur cactus filled grass.

I can pack a sandy wet 6M into the tiny stuff sack after a session pretty easily. 

I also use a Patagonia Black Hole Gear Tote

(https://www.patagonia.com/product/black-hole-gear-tote-bag-61-liters/49275.html)

The tote will fit two bagged wings and I can always put on I bagged one in if I’m in a rush. Have to hang dry in the shed at home anyways.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal