Author Topic: F-one Swing Boom ideas anyone?  (Read 8010 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: F-one Swing Boom ideas anyone?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2020, 08:07:53 AM »
Wow, I like that. It looks like something I could do with minimal sewing. I'm going to pick up a new 4.2 to replace what Admin calls my "hobo's handkerchief" and try several modifications on the old one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2020, 08:41:39 AM »
The level of innovation and hacking on this forum is really something. It speaks to the quality of the posters. All of these options are impressive.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2020, 05:00:20 AM »
I'm glad i was able to keep this build lightweight.  Very rigid, very strong. It works on both my 5M F-one and 6M F-one.  Testing has been good but the real wind comes today and tomorrow. Boom easily detaches to create a paddle.  As light as these F-one wings are, they tend to easily flip over when just resting on the waters surface.  The hollow paddle shaft helps by quickly filling with water and providing water  ballast keeping the wing stationary with the correct side down.  Upon lifting, the water rushes out in less than a second.  One of those unexpected benefits that I am already appreciating.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 05:07:01 AM by SUPeter »

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2020, 05:01:19 AM »
another

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2020, 09:36:23 AM »
....The hollow paddle shaft helps by quickly filling with water and providing water ballast keeping the wing stationary with the correct side down.  Upon lifting, the water rushes out in less than a second.  One of those unexpected benefits that I am already appreciating.

This serendipitous finding of water ballast keeping the wing more stationary on water with strut side down is really interesting as I went to some effort to seal off the broken SUP paddle shaft I am configuring for a handle retrofit. I used 2lb pour foam so is reversible.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2020, 10:03:21 AM »
Wow, that came out really well, I'm going to have to copy that. I've noticed the same stabilization with my fake boom. If the wing is in the water right side up for a few seconds, then it generally stays put. The flips happen when it first hits the water.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2020, 06:33:14 AM »
Got to test the new boom in some very windy(20-30mph) conditions.  In winds this heavy, the extra weight goes unnoticed.  Transitions are much easier when not trying to grab those tiny handles.  Balancing power is also an added benefit.  I found my  forearms and arms much less fatigued  than they were when using just the handles.  I could move both hands back a little giving more equal pull distribution rather than my back hand getting the majority of the force.  I am definitely going to use this boom mod more often than I had first imagined( long downwinders only) .  When wind moderated, I could easily fly one handed on my toe-side.  Very restful. I think a Duotone Echo may be in my very distant future.  Now to start trimming away any excess carbon and get this mod down to its lowest weight possible.  I will also be watch for any wear spots caused by this contraption.  I have padded it out very nicely and actually feel as though splinting the boom will prevent that problem of unwanted seam failure on a lot of F-ones. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »
Beautiful build man. Get some wax and glass and make yourself a nice mold when that is all shaped up. Pretty sure you will have some custom orders on your hands.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal