Author Topic: Bump Cap - less kooky foil head protection  (Read 11436 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bump Cap - less kooky foil head protection
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2020, 06:09:32 PM »
I will say, the Zone helped me there. I was hyper aware of my shins and feet when getting back on the board. I’m far from out of the woods but seriously, thanks to all of you who posted your pain. Learning in 2020 is way better than 2018.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2020, 05:50:50 PM »
does wearing a full wetsuit help?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2020, 10:47:22 PM »
Yes, most folks complain about bumping shins and such getting back on the foil or walking in/out. Even a little neoprene helps the bumps.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2020, 06:51:13 PM »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2020, 07:28:17 PM »
Dude, they made my hat. Buy one now at that price.

The only thing I have over them is that mine has a single 4oz layer of glass and EVA to keep my forehead covered since I wear it backwards.

btw, I wore mine the other day and figured out that when I grab my hat when bailing it puts my hands and arms in front of my face. So this encourages me to duck and cover with my free hand.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2020, 03:52:59 AM »
I was trolling Amazon and found this. Anyone try one? https://www.amazon.com/Hella-Slingshots-Black-Removable-Plastic/dp/B07KXKFYR3?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Same issues as most of the bump caps. The back is open and that’s where the foil is likely to hit you.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2020, 08:49:42 AM »
I have no clue what brand, but I have seen really good kite/wing foilers wearing a soft helmet that looks like this:
https://www.amazon.com/GAMEBREAKER-Multi-Sport-Shell-Protective-Headgear/dp/B07BJXVTCQ/
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2020, 07:35:07 PM »
Dwight, that’s why I wear mine backwards. The bill will take a bit and there’s a lot more coverage.

If you look at my design there’s a flap that fills the hole above the adjustment strap which becomes the front.

But yeah, without a whole lower back section like the heavier duty helmets have for the base of your skull I’m sure it’s way less protection.

But I will say that a kid at the beach the other day got a cut up top from a fin or board in a place that would have been covered by any hat or bump cap, so there’s that which means nothing lol.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2020, 05:31:25 AM »
Clay,  I saw one many years ago in Cabarete - I am pretty sure I have also seen rugby players use them.  They get roughed up a bit.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2020, 08:27:01 AM »
I learned to foil with an original aluminum skyfoil (designed by Rush Randle), with a kite.  At the time, guys were just learning to foil with a kite.  Most of the bad injuries were to the face.  I call my aluminum hydrofoil "the machete".  I don't use it in the surf.  During the learning curve, the foil hit me often on the shins and feet.  I wore a 4/3 fullsuit, which helped the shins a bit (shin guards are a great idea).  And I wore wakeskate shoes to protect my feet.  A proper impact vest was invaluable.  I destroyed a life jacket while learning.  I always wear a gath helmet (surfing/kitesurfing).  Awkward wipeouts scared me.  I wanted something will full face proctection.  A fellow foiler sported a nice full face helmet (purchased after a face injury).  I believe it was the (which looked cool):
https://www.outdoorplay.com/WRSI-Moment-Full-Face-Helmet
I started shopping around locally for a cheap option.  Scored a lacrosse helmet at goodwill and it has served me well. 
There is enough social distancing in kitesurfing that fashion is never too kooky.  A local windsurfer wears a helmet retrofitted with the single bar you'd see on a football kicker's helmet that covers the chin, respect.
Great topic.  Hydrofoiling is rad.  Tony Hawk was an endorsement for body protection.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2020, 06:33:07 PM »
Refreshing this thread. Update, bump cap works and I don’t wear the strap. I have to grab it when wiping out sometimes but it’s not a hassle really. I have the strap when I want to be secure (heavier conditions.)

I remade the front part in a more functional but less attractive version. I’m going to get some sort of sphere and glass the EVA molded to my head and replace that filler piece the next time I glass something. (My next Wing board?!)

I’ve not gotten hit yet but I will report that my impact vest saved me a bump to the back this weekend in a fall.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2020, 01:37:45 AM »
Oh, I did end up buying that hat I found on Amazon. Its well stitched and the shell is worth the price alone. The strap does dig at my neck a little which is uncomfortable so I only wear it when it's big out. I might just take the shell out and put it on a regular cap.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2020, 07:19:51 AM »
A friend here has one of those I think. I really need to improve this back cover attachment. It seems these are taking off. 3 or 4 of my local crew are wearing them now.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM