Author Topic: Bump Cap - less kooky foil head protection  (Read 11465 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bump Cap - less kooky foil head protection
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 05:51:04 PM »
  well, i hate to tell ya'll this but it isn't the helmet that makes for dorkfactorsupremo but the chin strap.  say it ain't so.  i can't.  tis.  sigh.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 07:52:19 AM »
We have those guys here, Linter.  A board leash would cramp their 'style'.  ...and since there is no rule: 'FU ..and your rugrats'. Most are likely pretty unproductive elsewhere.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2020, 08:53:55 AM »
Linter, you’re right but interestingly Hawaiian foilers are pretty fond of the fcs and dakine surf cap with strap. They alone might make it more common like happened with snow sports. We will see. Also, the recent injuries of some big pros who are wearing helmets now during recovery might also start to sway things. Some folks won’t ever do it but on a big day on any craft, it should be the norm I’d think. Molly would have laughed at a vest in the ‘60’s and yet today he knows they are the right idea.

But either way, we’re evolving and the incidence of injuries seems (like SUP) lower than we all feared when surfers were freaking out about cutting kids in half. lol (I also love how surfers are worried about “the groms.” I’m betting by grom, they mean “me, but I can’t admit I’m scared.”

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 12:39:35 PM »
also, the factor of danger will increase when more foilers around you and even worse when their inexperience at close proximity and one mistake can lead to  :o ::) :-X

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 12:38:53 PM »
Cowboy,  I switched-up materials.  I decided 'make it tighter' had to accompany non-slip.  I have a variety of neoprene cloth and this 2mm with a fine pattern on the raw side seems to suit the gig best. I used 2-sided Eternabond tape rather than contact cement, but, even though it works perfectly on the plastic surface, it does not grip the Lycra side well.  I will add six small tube rivets. 

BUT - it fits great.  And even though it may look like I had a brain tumor removed the day before - there will be No Chin Strap!  Cheers.

Jim

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 10:32:13 PM »
Nice man. Put a cap over it and it’ll lessen the hospital look. Also you can crank it down with the cap’s size adjustment.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 03:24:49 PM »
Here’s my version.

3M 77 adhesive (mask it off!!) and EVA inside an old trucker cap. Black spray paint. I didn’t want to leave my forehead bare so that’s 1/8” EVA with a layer of 4oz glass and epoxy over it. That stuff is incredibly flexible. It’s a bit short. I’ll cut a longer one the next time I glass something if this doesn’t disintegrate the first time out. 

It passes my nightstick test. Might have to wear it to my next protest.

No, it’s not a gath. But yes, I’ll have better protection than 90% of the people in the water. Probably add a lanyard for when s$&t gets real. I’ll start with full face, probably move to a skate helmet for a bit and then down to this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2020, 03:31:08 PM »
After this I'm considering glassing over a neoprene beanie and then putting another one over it to cover the glass layer.

That will cover ears and back of skull. I'll keep you posted.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2020, 04:44:20 AM »
I can't picture that bump cap staying on after a wave takes you out. I might be wrong but, I've felt my helmet try to lift off my head several times after crashes and waves coming from behind after a crash.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2020, 08:28:21 AM »
It will not, most likely. As I said, I’ll fix a lanyard for when I’m foiling. (I do think it’ll be great for learning to dock start however.

That said, I do surf in a cap like this about half the time, in mellow waves, with no strap and I’ve lost 2 in 10 years. (Mostly in big surf.) those FCS surf hats are really for real waves. A backwards baseball cap stays on through a good duck dive.

This is v1. Failure is guaranteed. That’s how you learn. I figure if 6 of us make these one will be decent lol. Also, not meant to replace a real helmet.

But 100% I’m wearing one of these working in the garage or on my car from now on.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2020, 09:02:20 AM »
It will not, most likely. As I said, I’ll fix a lanyard for when I’m foiling. (I do think it’ll be great for learning to dock start however.

But 100% I’m wearing one of these working in the garage or on my car from now on.
Yes, I think you've got something there for dock starts or in the garage, but for protection foiling in the surf....eh, not so much.

Unfortunately, the foil accident stitches I've seen in our locale are on the face, and not the head...and the only time I had a foil come at me, was when I went over the handlebars, ejecting my standard ball cap as I hit the water, and then caught the front wing with my hand I had put up in front of my face on the way up to the surface. Now notably, the foil was coming at me so slowly when it hit my hand that I doubt is would have been more than just a slight bonk on the forehead coconut, but no real damage would have been done.

My point being, the sudden impact injuries where the real damage seems to be happening, are the quick, unexpected falls into the rails of the board face first, or even worse...the "taco" event of going over the side of the board as the sharp wings of the foil are coming up out of the water after you. In either event, I don't think a helmet on the head is going to be of much protection, but that's just my experience and opinion....other's mileage may vary. 

Good luck, and be safe regardless of whatever head (and body...lot more ribs getting injured I'm seeing) protection direction you end up taking.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2020, 09:36:47 AM »
I do agree that any responsible thread on this subject stress that we recommend full, real helmets, with face guards.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2020, 01:02:57 PM »
That's the 'cover all bets dillema', eh, 3S? I'll post a picture of my first idea.  I guarantee it would generate as much ridicule as those 'two outrigger floats either side of a SUP' would. If I could start foiling privately, I would likely have shin and thigh guards, a welders mask, shoulder pads and a chest protector.  I taught myself to kite in about 2001 ..with dangerous kit.  I figure if I can take that thrashing; I should be able to handle this one ..with better kit and some training.

Hopefully, this printing will quash the inevitable; "What are the rivets for?" questions."

Jim

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2020, 09:06:30 PM »
I paddled in my cap. It works and I used my lanyard.

Trying it without the lanyard next time with a little grabby bare neoprene added into the band.

I see no reason to foil without this thing.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2020, 11:22:31 PM »
Honestly the first month I learned foiling, I think shin guards were the most needed protection.  I can't believe how many times I bashed my shin(s) on the rail.  I think I remember a few charlie-horses to the quad too.  I've yet to have anything even close to a head injury, thank goodness. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal