Author Topic: Bump Cap - less kooky foil head protection  (Read 11479 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Bump Cap - less kooky foil head protection
« on: February 11, 2020, 08:34:26 PM »
In what is my weirdest build yet, I’m customizing a bump cap for foiling head protection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RXVVTL1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s a plastic shell that fits into a baseball cap and provides just enough protection to keep you from getting stitches (maybe.)

I’ve sprayed mine black, out it under a trucker cap for water use and am putting some 1/8” EVA inside it. (Hobby Lobby or any craft store sells this for a buck a sheet.

I’ll post up pics and results as I get it done. But it looks like you’re just wearing a cap. I’ll probably try to get a strap or at least a lanyard on it to keep it in place a bit but I dig it so far and even without it’s worth wearing I think.

Will it protect you from a cracked skull? Does it cover all your head? Is it approved by any agency? No.

But it’s surprisingly effective and will certainly be an unobtrusive improvement over my bare skin. Check it out, if you do nothing but put it in your cap it’ll stop stitches or a fin cut. If you pad it at all you’ll be pleasantly surprised and it could keep you conscious from a hit.

I’m trying Super 77 spray glue first to hold the EVA. Maybe also could source some EVA with that sweet 3M adhesive?

I’ll keep you posted on mods and how it works. I think I might even wear this surfing if I can make it reliable in the water.

I’ll also try to share my padding templates.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Bump Cap - less kooky foil head protection
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 06:08:29 AM »
That looks interesting, Cowboy.   I have my old skate helmet and found a face-guard baseball players use that I thought of modding to use with the helmet. The problem is: you (I) don't want to look like a total dork. ...afraid of your stubbing your toe.

Foiling does not look as dangerous as riding a Harley w/o a helmet in LA traffic .. but how to balance the obvious risks without looking like a Hermit crab is the issue.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 12:36:47 PM »
https://www.park-and-diamond.com/

Might be of interest...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 01:00:19 PM »
nice DIY but I rather be safe and worry about other people think like your kook. I wear a full head protection such as gath helmet in the beginning of foiling stage and I still do during winter to keep my head warm. From my experience and if I didn't wear the full head helmet my ears and the side of my face would've been in a lot of mess.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 06:51:50 PM »
Hey guys, I’ve seen that link and yes, the kook factor is necessary.

Full explanation, I’m actually going way overboard on my early sessions and wearing a moto-x full face helmet behind the boat as it looks like tacos are common then.

I plan to move down to a skate type helmet, and then, only then, to the bump cap. (Probably 10 sessions or so in or later if I’m not feeling it.) I don’t think I’d use a gath but maybe I should try one on.

I think this also might accompany me on standard prone sessions as well. Fins can be worse than foils in some cases.

But now we’re really getting somewhere. The great helmet/no helmet thread of 2020. Could this rival straps vs no straps? Short SUPs vs Long? Wax vs traction? Proners giving us grief in the lineup? Will this be responsible for bannings and half the board leaving over a resentment? Only time will tell. So far you guys are too nice. Someone show up please and call me an idiot and claim that helmets emit radiation. 😂🤣

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »
I've never hit my head with the foil. I did hit my chin on my rail on about session 5 or so. Hit my head on a normal surfboard a bunch of times though so maybe it's just me.

Your mast is about 2 feet long. Give yourself 2 feet of clearance. Jump early and jump often. Don't try to save things. You're just learning what the foil wants to do on the early sessions.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 07:06:12 PM »
Thx Hdip,

Hopefully when I’m back from SD we can connect and get some mushy waves. I also like that you take multiple boards and prone or foil depending on what you see. I carry fins even.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 07:06:42 PM »
I had a proner buddy tell me that if a foiler shows up with a helmet and an impact vest, he should bring one for  everyone else in the lineup. 

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 09:36:00 AM »
per, HD. "Jump early and jump often. Don't try to save things. You're just learning what the foil wants to do on the early sessions."

Probably rather than dressing for a medieval joust - spend time developing muscle memory for the above.  Good one.

Jim

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 10:53:19 AM »
My buddy on Kauai got his best advice from Seabass. "Go where the foil wants to go."

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 12:41:07 PM »
I understand once your foiling time is up most of us put safety aside but from experience foiling is still dangerous. I've had times were what if I landed there or here and I can tell you (example) sometimes 5 inches landed away is close call. Yes, we all mastered the eject button but you still make mistakes and hopefully on a good side of mistake and not on a bad side of mistake.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 09:19:53 AM »
This is gold. Thx guys.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 11:18:42 AM »
I ride all types of foil sport and I can't stress the importance of a helmet. One with ear protection is even better. I had a buddy blow an ear drum out while falling from a wave and I've been cut by foils a bunch even in the face. Now it's helmet with ear protection and I wear a hat under it to add extra protection with the visor. It's bad enough getting hit with a 18 liter kite foil board, you're going to be lucky to survive a sup. 

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 12:53:43 PM »
This is what I use and obviously could give a $hit what others think.  My safety is my responsibility no one else's.  I believe these are some of the best options out there for water-based sports where you want some protection from the sun also.  If you're looking for ear protection too they have helmets for that as well. 
https://www.shredready.com/collections/all-helmets/sup

My opinion is if you're involved in a water sport where you can get knocked out you had better be wearing at least a pfd or a helmet.  Maybe it looks a little funny or takes another few seconds to prepare but the consequences are and never worth the tradeoff.  Helmets were considered kooky for skiers and snowboarders 15 years ago and now they're considered a smart choice... 8)
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 02:28:36 PM »
Cowboy,  Thanks for that. I got a pair (?) of these caps.  ' Very interesting.  I just happen to have some Ensolite foam they use at the  inside/top so can expand the cushion a bit without losing the form-fit.  ' Very interesting ..compared to a Gath, skate helmet, etc.  It should be easy to make a chinstrap.   I got some other commercial c'hit I am working on, but will post some pics.  Thanks again.

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal